Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dehen 1920 biker sweaters. Club zip.

IXL

One Too Many
Having had a shot of one of Aero's Dehens, I'll vouch for the quality/style - I'm not surprised bikers back in the day wore them for protection as they are hell-a-heavy.

An interesting comment, especially when compared to the view of so many around here, those who state that a heavy, leather, cafe racer is not a "real" riding jacket.
I would love to have one of the Dehens to sport around in!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you look at pics of the original board track racers, they often wore either heavy jumpers such as Dehen's or thin leather 'racing shirts'. I'm not sure the former would have given much protection, especially given the splinters that the tracks would have kicked up in a crash!
board racer.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
The Motordomes aka "Murderdomes" were brutal .... it's no surprise that many of the major players died, a woolen jumper and serge breeches are no defence against a crash at speed ... in fact the danger and carnage was detailed at the time as one of the major attractions ( the human race is funny sometimes) :(

A sad part of motorcycle racings history and best forgotten rather than glorified IMHO. Though the racers have my utmost respect (having raced both cars and bikes) ..... those who exploited them have my contempt, a bit like early Formula 1 TBH.

An interesting comment, especially when compared to the view of so many around here, those who state that a heavy, leather, cafe racer is not a "real" riding jacket.

That's because modern materials, construction and armour (oh and helmets and gloves and boots) are many levels above the level of protection offered by a cafe racer or anything on offer in the 50's, 60's and 70's .... there are many more cars and hazards on the road, they travel at much higher speeds (both cars and bikes) and we know much more about the dynamics and conditions of injury. You cannot sell a car today which doesn't meet minimum safety standards, you cannot use (in Europe) a motorcycle helmet which doesn't meet minimum safety standards ( an area the USA is sadly far behind in IMHO - flame away but the"no helmet law" in some states is Darwinian principle in action IMHO). The same standards which apply for motorcycling helmets should be in place for boots, gloves jackets and trousers IMHO and it should be COMPULSORY to wear approved PPE to ride a motorcycle .. I've lost too many good friends who with the right PPE may still be with us today to think otherwise.

By all means feel free to go "fashion over function" ... me .... I'll buy the best I can afford and hope I never have to rely on them (and I've ridden over 30,000miles per year for the last 10 years just in case anyone thinks I'm a "Sunny Sunday Poser" ) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: A-1

Edward

Bartender
There are certainly guidance standards for equipment other than helmets, albeit not enshrined in law. And on the big plus side, the last couple of years seem to have seen a sudden rise in gear that actually offers both that level of protection and looks decent / classic, which is great with me. I'm not sure how you would ever enforce it, though, were you to make it a legal requirement. Helmets are a bit easier - though I've been surprised by how many UK outlets are selling helmets like the Biltwell Gringo, that aren't ECE approved (and thus, if I'm correctly informed, wouldn't be considered valid for insurance purposes in the event of a spill). You'd think that it would be easy enough to prevent the sale of non-ECE approved lids for motorcycling in the UK.... or at least to require outlets to make clear what is and is not legal-wear.

Racing wise, it's like so many other areas of sport, and life in general: people simply were prepared to take all kinds of risks back then that wouldn't be tolerated today. Can't argue that's a bad thing..... though I'd love to have one of those old board-racer bikes.

The one thing I've seen where they bother with nothing in the way of safety equipment - even helmets - is the Wall of Death. As I understand it, though, the kind of injury you're likely to suffer from a fall in one of those, even a helmet isn't going to do you much good. There are either two or three WoDs in operation in the UK today, and none of them can get insurance.

A-1

One Too Many
I have a Dehen sweater and saw a lot of them in Portland. They’re all really thick, heavy and feel a bit like armor. They actually scream quality.
But you shouldn’t buy them tight small or you’ll have issues putting it on and off. Especially if you are wearing glasses. The sweater doesn’t almost have no stretch. If you roll up your sleeves and put them back down again, there will be no loosening by the opening which is great. I tried to stretch mine in the chest, I was brutal, believe me, it always goes back to its original form. I have never expereinced that in a wool sweater.

That being said, I prefer a sailor’s sweater/troyer made of virgin or merino wool. Much lighter but same cold protection and more comfy to wear. You can get them made in Germany for way under 100€.
By the way, I also love those knitted wooly hats you can get for 12€ made in Germany in really high quality.

I still adore the Dehen sweater but it’s more like a piece of art to me than something that I actually wear a lot. I think I’ll put it on today though...

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I'd like to get a Dehen 1920 motorcycle sweater but would prefer one that's not plain like Dehen shows on their website. The Harley Davidson Museum sells race sweaters similar to the vintage ones that either have patches or say "Harley - Davidson." HD says that their's are made by Dehen, but don't have a Dehen label. Does anyone know if they are the same weight and quality as the ones the Dehen sells on their website, or are they of a lighter/thinner material?

Thanks!

http://hdmuseum.artehouse.com/perl/noOptions.pl?skuProductID=794

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
I finally went to Dehens annual sale last fall and picked up an amazing shawl cardigan (prototype, no patch pockets) in my size for $25! It is ridiculously thick and warm for a sweater and def works as a coat in most oregon weather...not these past few weeks however...brrr.

Edward

Bartender
WRT to the Ace Cafe one I posted earlier, a number of places in the UK now sell one that is identical - bar it has a plain front, without the branding. Motolegends have them for £89.99 https://www.motolegends.com/casual-clothing/german-submariners-das-boot-jumper-blue.html; Silvermans https://www.silvermans.co.uk/products/german-das-boot-sub-sweater?variant=4837554435 and SoF £79.99. And many other places, all around that price point. Wool. All seem to be the same 'Niffi' branded product. Good photo:

knitwear-greenwich-z-big.gif

AS seen in Das Boot:

das-boot.jpg

I think I might try and acquire myself one of these and maybe the Goldtop too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points