Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deleted

what era was this piece manufactured?

• 1890's era

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • turn of the century 1900 - 1910

• 1920's 1930's

• 1940's or later

• Total voters

green papaya

One Too Many
seriel numbers?

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Probably be hard to date without one.
Does it work? Can you actually lock up your valuables inside?

the seriel numbers must have worn away?

I also searched for DIAMOND MFG. CO KANSAS CITY MO
and it must have gone out of business years ago, because it doesnt exist anymore.

this is the part that goes in a floor safe, it's not the safe itself, this is like a safety deposit box that slides down into a floor safe and gets locked inside, it makes it easier to get your valuables by lifting this piece out by the carry handle located at the top.

this item probably came from some old business that was torn down

it may also be from the Railroad business? because I noticed the seller had some old tools and lanterns used by railroad workers

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A locksmith or a safe store might be able to give you some leads - they usually know when one company got taken over by some other company or conglomerate and may be able to point you to the new company, or might even know the age of the safe themselves.

green papaya said:
the seriel numbers must have worn away?

or the numbers were ground off after a heist?

Who did ye talk to at the company? I have too much experience of talking to reception flunkies that don't actually know anything to believe what i'm told on the phone. Of course if you made sure to talk to somone who'd know, my point is moot.

Nice safe, anyway ...

bk

green papaya

One Too Many
it's a fare box

I figured out what this thing was originally used for, it's an old fare box the brass pin hanging on the chain is used for holding the trap door open so the money can fall inside, this piece was most likely used by the rail road for depositing the fare from the train passengers, or possibly fare for the ferry boat or something like that.

since the seller was also selling old rail road related items like lanterns, tools, etc. Im pretty sure this was used by the old rail road / passenger trains for fare

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Maybe you should try calling them again. See if you could talk with someone else, maybe send them the photos. Same company name, same city, same product. Their web site said they have been manufacturing fare boxes since the 40's.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Green Papaya, I see you are on the "west coast USA".

If you are near Mountain View, CA, you should head down
to Castro Street. There is a modest but memorable museum
of old safes and locks next to the old locksmith shop.
The guy who runs that place can probably tell you more
than you want to know. And it is well worth the visit
(especially since it's free).

green papaya

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
Maybe you should try calling them again. See if you could talk with someone else, maybe send them the photos. Same company name, same city, same product. Their web site said they have been manufacturing fare boxes since the 40's.

I emailed some photos and he said it is a farebox, money vault and that they are still making them

he didnt say when it was manufactured

:)

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Another mystery solved (for the most part). It has to be ’47 or later. Still a great piece, even if it’s not as old as you thought.

green papaya

One Too Many
here is what Ive been using it for:

I collect WWI - WWII militaria and Ive been using it as a helmet display stand for this US model 1917A1 helmet

it looks kind of like an old artilley shell piece lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112