• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by AndrewC, Jul 10, 2015.

1. AndrewC

AndrewC New in Town

I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to denim jackets – new or vintage (unless there is one and I missed it?). I will start with my recent eBay score. A NOS 1970’s era GWG Cowboy Kings Jacket. For those not familiar with GWG, it was a Canadian clothing company that made jeans and jackets, among other things. I used to wear GWG in the 80s. They stopped production in the early 90s. This jacket was never worn and still had the cloth inventory tag sewn on the pocket. It is very stiff denim, maybe 12 oz in weight, with a corduroy collar. Only flaw is some slight fading on one shoulder that looks like possible sun fading. These jackets are few and far between these days in my experience – especially NOS and in my size. I wish someone out there was making reproductions of GWG jeans and jackets. I have been watching eBay for about 2 years to get this and finally lucked out. Since these pictures were taken I have hand washed the jacket to get some of the 40 years of smell out of it, but the color is pretty much unchanged. So let’s see some other denim jackets!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Have just just purchased an old Levi 'Cut -off' not quite sure where I'm going with it though :)

3. handymike

handymike My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't have one, but when I do get one it will either be a Lee 1930's 101j or the Rising Sun Cattleman.
    I love the single curved front pocket.

4. yakima

yakima One of the Regulars

Denim jackets are just like Leather jackets - once you buy ONE, you will need another.....:D

5. handymike

^^ but Yakima, I'm the guy who lives with 1 leather jacket!
    :D

A-1 likes this.
  6. navetsea

navetsea One Too Many

nice accent on its collar.

I have 2 ... but none of them actually look like the "denim jacket"
    for starter both have zipper instead of buttons lol

7. handymike

Here's those two jackets:

1937 Lee 101j-
    [​IMG]

Rising Sun Cattleman-
    [​IMG]

Trenchfriend likes this.
  8. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

WP_000974.jpg

Here is my Lee Archive 1937 Cowboy. This one is made in China by Edwin for Lee. There is another one made by Warehouse in Japan which is much more expensive. Both are discontinued and are difficult to find in shops. You may be able to find the Real McCoy's x Lee Cowboy WW2 model though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Roma and Trenchfriend like this.
  9. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

10. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

11. handymike

That's the one I'm after ;)

12. handymike

Wait a minute...
    This is coming soon from Whitefeather MFG.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go Fardin!

Trenchfriend likes this.
  13. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

Interesting buttoned pocket without flap. Although I have quite a few denim jackets, I kind of prefer duck canvas.

14. handymike

Whitefeather is alo making a combo/ two-tone jacket in Duck and Indigo. ;)

15. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    JDelage likes this.
  16. Don't know if this jacket shows too well as it was taken just as I headed out on a trip out West a few weeks ago but it is a Heavy Denim Creation of the Buco D- pocket.[​IMG]

arkadijs likes this.
  17. handymike

That's interesting, I've often thought that leather jackets might be cool if done in denim.

18. 2wheelgrplr

2wheelgrplr One of the Regulars

Check out carlos840's links above. Iron Heart's version of the classic cafe racer in black & indigo denim are quite popular. On my want list!

19. lika

lika New in Town

i ordered the Real Mccoy's type 1 and type 2 denim jacket lately. i think they look very nice after good use and wash. sorry for the huge pics. don't know how to edit .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. navetsea

navetsea One Too Many

+1