Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

the loco

One of the Regulars
I like the Levi's trucker (jean) jacket. Have two in denim, with and without lining, and one in HH. I think that will buy another in suede.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if corduroy would look good in typical Denim jacket pattern/ style? or it would look too formal or more suitable with longer style jacket/ coat type.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I wonder if corduroy would look good in typical Denim jacket pattern/ style? or it would look too formal or more suitable with longer style jacket/ coat type.

I've seen quite a few type 3 (Levi's trucker) style jackets in corduroy, many with pile/fleece lining. Come Fall season, the usual suspects should offer some version - Levi's, Gap, Jcrew, etc ...

AdeeC

Practically Family
Corduroy jean jackets look great. I have owned quite a few over the decades including Lee, Levi's, Wrangler and other brands.I have a slight preference to corduroy over denim for trucker style jackets. They are much lighter weight and more comfortable. I haven't seen new Levi's corduroy jackets for several years now though.

Edward

Bartender
I remember when I was a kid, maybe about eight years old, I had a matching, olive green corduroy type 3 style jacket and trousers. It wore really well - I loved it. (I also wanted a denim one, but at the time, probably about 1982, and even as late as 1985, my folks regarded those as hooligan wear.) I still think they look good in corduroy today.

Jim B.

New in Town
I would sure like an original Stormrider. I enjoy wearing the standard Wranglers. Heavyweight, broken twill denim.The unlined is prewashed but that's all, no fancy stone or acidwash , comes in S,M,L etc. The L is aprox a 44, classic trim fit. The Wrangler blanket jacket is good too. Cord collar, prewashed only, in even chest sizes, classic trim fit also. Great budget price, they are made in Mexico of US materials. Nice to still be able to get a classic that has not had the fit all "relaxed" and weird denim treatments, but you only find them at the western wear stores, online at Drysdales or Sheplers , not the mall or dept stores or Walmart etc.
I had the original white Levi jacket in 1970 that was cool.
I do remember when I was around 4 or 5 years old (1960) having denim jacket and jeans by "Corn Cobber" . It came with a little corn cob pipe and had a slot next to the chest pocket to store it.

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I love the Lee Stormrider's (101-lj) and the Lee 101-j's. I own both, 1960's versions. I have a late 60's Levi's type III denim jacket (Big "E"). Additionally, I have two early 70's Levi's type III corduroy trucker jackets (brown and khaki/tan). Both of those jackets are great and very comfortable. I don't care for the 70's Levi's Sherpa lined trucker jackets. I've own both a brown and tan one (both in great shape) in recent years. One had hand warmer pockets and the other didn't. I thought getting one with hand warmer pockets would make me like it a lot more (certainly more practical), but I didn't. I love seeing them on other people, vintage pictures of them being worn and the idea of having one, but it didn't work for me.

- Ian

CBI

One Too Many
Love the 30's/40's era ones and have often thought about purchasing a high-end repro. The issue with me is that I would typically wear something like this in a more casual situation where I am usually wearing jeans and here's the rub......I don't think the jackets and jeans look good together, just too much denim one one person!!!!!! It works a bit more when the pants and jacket colors/shade are very different of different pants all together. Just IMO, I do like the jackets....in theory!

AdeeC

Practically Family
Love the 30's/40's era ones and have often thought about purchasing a high-end repro. The issue with me is that I would typically wear something like this in a more casual situation where I am usually wearing jeans and here's the rub......I don't think the jackets and jeans look good together, just too much denim one one person!!!!!! It works a bit more when the pants and jacket colors/shade are very different of different pants all together. Just IMO, I do like the jackets....in theory!
I agree, I find denim jackets work particulary well with jean cut corduroys in most colours except blue.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
^ I am conscious of this, as well. And have, at times, avoided wearing denim jackets with jeans. Though, it's occurred to me that it's only "natural" to wear them together, if you choose to do so. However, I do avoid wearing a denim shirt along with blue jeans and a denim jacket. :)

- Ian

Cocker

Practically Family
I would love myself a Lee 101, but as usual, can't seem to find size 44 with 27/27.5 sleeve length. Do you know if any brand is doing something like this?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
What about a vintage Lee 101-j in a Long. They can be found in size 44 on eBay. They certainly won't cost a small fortune. You should be able to easily pick one up for well under $100 USD.

- Ian

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I agree, I find denim jackets work particulary well with jean cut corduroys in most colours except blue.

I like the opposite combination better, cord jacket and denim jeans, cord pants just won't age well. and I always feel wearing too much felt with it :) and the sweesh swoosh sound.

Cocker

Practically Family
What about a vintage Lee 101-j in a Long. They can be found in size 44 on eBay. They certainly won't cost a small fortune. You should be able to easily pick one up for well under $100 USD.

- Ian

Hmm, I checked a couple ones a few days ago, and even a 48L has 26 inches sleeves... Actually, the only Lee 101 that I found with what seems to be the good sleeve length is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEE-125...840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ffe52590

A bit too fashionable, but doesn't look too bad neither.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I even prefer this one, with the waist tabs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEE-125...918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54a175ee

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about matching duck canvas with denim?:)
Stevenson Overall duck canvas jacket with Duckdigger Townsman jeans
WP_001049.jpg
Lee Archives Cowboy 1937 with Duckdigger Townsman duck canvas
WP_001066.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points