Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

lina

Practically Family
Rode my motorcycle to work this morning wearing my Gustin green waxed jacket. I actually like this jacket better than I expected. It's just right for a slightly chilly ride, when you don't need a leather jacket, especially because the ride home in the afternoon will be much warmer.

green jacket.JPG

Days ago, I thought, that I really should take my blue type III-jacket, my brown traveller-(felt)hat and try anywhere to get on a horse, too. Wouldn't be bad. :cool::cool::cool:

KevinX3

New in Town
Anyone knows, how longlasting the sherpa-linings of sherpa-denim jackets are?
I did a fair bit or research before I bought a Wrangler Sherpa lined Denim Jacket Rustic (74256RT) and I'm led to believe it will stand up to many years and many washes. FWIW, the Wrangler jacket runs Huge.

I'm an XL in Levis Type III trucker and GAP Icon 1969 denim jacket and they are both tight around the midriff. This Wrangler jacket in XL has about a 10cm overlap, it is seriously big (made a special trip to a store way out in the outskirts of town - they held the jacket, but it was ridiculously big. The L is bigger than the XL in the other brands I have. Other types of Wrangler denim jackets are advised as running small. There is no consistency in sizing even within the same manufacturer if that's the case. The jackets in Rustic (which I just though was the denim color) run large - advice: size down, others run small - advice: size up.

So My Question in this Denim Jacket thread:

I know what a cowboy cut is in denim / canvas jeans, that's actually documented.

But what is a cowboy cut in a denim (trucker) jacket?

I've seen many ads for vintage and new denim trucker jackets that say cowboy cut, but never explain what cowboy cut is in a jacket. Personally I cannot see any difference although many 'cowboys' seem to wear their trucker jackets 'oversized'. I don't think this has to do with the cut, it just looks like they are wearing one size up. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
So My Question in this Denim Jacket thread:

I know what a cowboy cut is in denim / canvas jeans, that's actually documented.

But what is a cowboy cut in a denim (trucker) jacket?

I've seen many ads for vintage and new denim trucker jackets that say cowboy cut, but never explain what cowboy cut is in a jacket. Personally I cannot see any difference although many 'cowboys' seem to wear their trucker jackets 'oversized'. I don't think this has to do with the cut, it just looks like they are wearing one size up. Any advice appreciated.

I don't know. I just know the cowboy/western shirt-like design of the actual Wrangler "Authentic Jacket" in blue-black.

The Wrangler seems to be regular-fit and I had tested it in a department-store. My storebrand type III-denim-jacket is slim-fit, like usually the originals from Levi's.

Last edited:
We had a birthday for my son over Thanksgiving weekend. I had to laugh when no less than four of us had vintage-lite (70's-80's) Levis sherpa-lined denim jackets on. There just isn't a better beater for the cold - one that can be washed if you end up in the mud (happens after a lot of beer pong) and you can pick them up, often in like new shape for under $100 easily. I didn't realize how much I missed those until i got one this past summer - been wearing it a lot.

What are your experiences?
Are sherpa-denim jackets transitional-jackets or even winter-jackets on temperatures below +5°Celsius/41°Fahrenheit?

Anyone knows??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ