Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deodorizing Sweatbands -

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Cleaning hat felt, linings, ribbons, and sweatbands has come up many times. I've read here that denatured alchohol and naphthalene are widely used and recommened for general purpose cleaning. But I'd like to ask about removing odor from sweatbands specifically. Art mentioned denatured alchohol and I'm not sure if that includes rubbing alchohol or not.

Has anyone here had experience with any products actually designed to clean and deodorize leather (including equestrian helmets and the like)?

What's your prefered method of cleaning and deodorizing sweatbands without removing them?

Leather Master Odor Remover
LeatherPlus® Leather Deodorizer
Charles Owen Hat Deodorizer
No Sweat Sport Hat and Helmet Refresher

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol cause it may have additives for your skin. Denatured alcohol will dry out the leather & require some leather treatment afterwards. I have used denatured alcohol to remove the finish off leather items like knife sheath before dying to another color then adding back a leather sealer/finish. To clean & refurbish all kinds of leather items, including saddles, boots, belts, etc. I have used Leather New = http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=0026053
I've also had good result with Leather Mate =
http://www.leathersave.com/

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
In what condition is the leather? Have you considered just wiping it down with mild soap and water, drying it off and leaving it in the sun for a little bit? Of all the hats I've had (100s), I've never had any that have had smells that couldn't be fixed by a combination of this and some steam for the felt, even some amazingly smoky ones.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
In what condition is the leather? Have you considered just wiping it down with mild soap and water, drying it off and leaving it in the sun for a little bit? Of all the hats I've had (100s), I've never had any that have had smells that couldn't be fixed by a combination of this and some steam for the felt, even some amazingly smoky ones.

Leather condition is good and supple - just smells sweaty. I haven't tried anything yet. Wanted to ask here first. The products recommended above by GTD appear to be conditioner/restorers. I'm asking about deodorizing specifically.

zetwal said:
Leather condition is good and supple - just smells sweaty. I haven't tried anything yet. Wanted to ask here first. The products recommended above by GTD appear to be conditioner/restorers. I'm asking about deodorizing specifically.
Right, I was stating what to do post alcohol or even soap & water/sun drying that Dinerman said. Those tend to dry out leather & make it draw.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
A bath cloth wetted with warm water and rubbed on a bar of good old fashioned Ivory bar soap and then used to clean the sweatband has always worked very well for me. Leaves a pleasant odor and gets the sweatband clean and leaves it supple.
I have used Ivory bar soap wetted and rubbed liberally into leather truck and car seats and it does a good job and Ivory soap is just a tick away from saddle soap

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Just a follow up. I decided to use Lexol leather cleaner rather than regular soap. It deep cleaned very nicely and left no residual perfumed or soapy scent at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21