Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Dave - Buco J-21

A-1

One Too Many
Hi everyone,
I’ve put in an order for the DD Buco J-21 about 3 weeks ago. I have opened this thread to keep you updated on the making of the jacket.
Dave told me he would start making the jacket in about 1 and a half weeks from now. I am excited. Dave has been really great cooperating with via mail. He is answering very quickly and his answers are very insightful and helpful. I completely trust him with his advice for my fit and sizing for the jacket. Dave has got my body measurements which I’ve done according to his website.
I’ve already decided to have the jacket made in Dave’s steer hide with tea core in brown, not black. Now I gotta decide if I wanna go for the combat finish or not. It’s not an easy decision as both finishes look amazing judging from the photos I’ve seen. Usually I am not into pre-distressed clothing and yet his combat finish is tempting as it’s such a beauty.
For those interested in the making of the finish of the leather by the way, this is how DD explained it to me, I hope I got it right.
Both, the plain brown and the combat finish, (and even the black tea core) start off as a tan colored chrome tanned steer hide. The brown ones then get a light coat of Bordeaux dye. And then a light "broken" coat of dark brown over the combat finish. It looks a little bit aged then.
What do you think?
Here is the „plain“ brown:
2015-11-18 18.43.16.jpg

Here is the combat crew finish:
22696_496991583786271_6225804530523719612_n.png

I am tending towards the standard brown as I think it’ll be distressed in no time anyway...

What do you think?

I think the plain brown has enough variation in it to look custom. Then with wear, it'll be uniquely yours :)
(probably in not a long time)
Dave does a fantastic job of dying his hides. I think they are some of the best looking on the market.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My vote is for the regular finish, break it in and distress it yourself through actual wear imo

A-1

One Too Many
Thanks so much for your input!
I’m also down for the standard brown as it looks so delicious!
It’ll also be perfect with brass zippers...

41eiffel

Familiar Face
I must agree with Monitor ... but it's your jacket not mine :)

May I ask why you chose Steerhide rather than Horsehide ? repro Zippers ? Diamond Dave looks like a top guy ! any feedback on his Shinki J-21 from a member ?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
You have put in a great order... I can't wait to see the finished product and maybe get seduced to purchasing a J-21 myself. Be sure to take plenty detailed photos :D

Reactions: A-1

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Go the standard, I think it will age nicely as it is. I know a few dudes have said this style should be black only. I completely ( respectfully)disagree. I think a brown perfecto or d pocket looks awesome. Having said that, Daves J-21 is one jacket that looks like sex on legs in black. Whichever finish you go for, I'm pretty sure you will be very happy wearing a DD...;)

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I have a D-pocket in brown horsehide. It looks awesome. It garners more positive comments from people than any of my black ones.

I too prefer the standard brown to the artificially beat-up look.

Sure it looks great, just that it always seemed to me that the brown colour tones down the style. It looks... classier, somehow, and that's something I personally wouldn't want from this style. :) But yeah, I agree that it does look awesome otherwise.

DSCN0731.jpg

How come there's no love for the Beck 333 style? DD makes a fantastic looking repro: http://www.diamondclothingco.com/#!beck-333/coou
Everyone's crazy about the J-twenties, but the Beck is just as cool looking and certainly something we rarely see.

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
I've handled the black tea core shinki that he uses. It is a lovely hide for certain.

There's almost a flaked finish with the hide as standard and it looks like it would age quickly & lovely in no time at all.

Either colour, but no distressed finish - that's for you to do & the process will make your jacket uniquely yours.

A-1

One Too Many
Good morning everyone,
Thank you for your input! I like it a lot to be challenged in my options.
Well, I've chosen steer over hh as I've got a hh jacket but don't like the drape as much. I've handled steer and I felt it drapes more naturally and is more comfy right from the start. Of course I know that there is a lotta love for hh here and I like it too. However, Ds steer looks amazing judging from the photos I've seen. So, I just didn't see the point in paying more for a hide, just because the majority here prefers it. Haha.

And monitor, I also agree with you that a black J-21 jacket is really great! Especially the black ones of DD look amazing on the photos. And yet, I thought, damn, the brown will be really special and also look amazing with the brass zipper front. And I like the way the j-100 looks in brown as well. Wouldn't have expected that before I saw it.
I told DD he should go as dark brown as possible and I hope it'll look great. The black would be a little too much standard for me. It seems like everyone has a black motorcycle jacket. And I've never been a fan of the "it has to be like that approach, because it always was like that", haha. Well, it's a classic design anyway. Buco made them in seal brown as well. So nothing really special from my side. Hehe. No offense, please.

And I've also chosen the J-21 because of the slash pocket. And the 333 has the belt integrated. I don't want and need the belt. But I also agree, this style looks awesome!!
Peace.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

Bolero

A-List Customer
I would go with the Combat Crew Distressed because it will add character, experience and retro look for your personna....

The other is too plain, modern and dressy looking, you'll just be another guy in a leather jacket...

Steerhide good choice and $200 cheaper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff