Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between Tanker, Ricky, Gabardine and Ike jackets

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I asked someone else about this and they were very helpful but I'd just like second opinions.
What were the differences between a Tanker Jacket, a "Ricky" Jacket, an Ike Jacket, and a Gabardine jacket?
Was a "Gabardine" jacket just a catch all for a jacket made with Gabardine (IE The way a "leather jacket" is just a catch all for all leather jackets regardless of styling) or was it the name for a specific style of jacket?

Also, what were some other POST WWII (1945 to say the mid 70s) popular types of jackets and outerwear?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Ike Jacket

Tanker Jacket

Ricky Jacket
argyleredricky.jpg

photo source

A gabardine jacket is made of gabardine.
For other styles of jackets from the era you're looking for, see here and here.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Where could I find a Ricky Jacket like this?

Where could I find a Ricky Jacket like this--with the same sort of cut and wide collar--new? Do any clothing lines make Ricky Jackets anymore or would I simply have to get an old one off of Ebay?
img8231.jpg

img8224.jpg

Foster

One of the Regulars
As a supplement:

Ike jackets are fine woven wool with cotton twill lining (or rayon/acetate lining in 1950's production ones), closed with buttons.

Tanker jackets are a cotton twill shell with blanket wool lining and wool knit cuffs, collar, and waistband, and are closed with a zipper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points