• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Differences between Tanker, Ricky, Gabardine and Ike jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by FedoraFan112390, Mar 27, 2012.

1. FedoraFan112390

FedoraFan112390 Practically Family

I asked someone else about this and they were very helpful but I'd just like second opinions.
    What were the differences between a Tanker Jacket, a "Ricky" Jacket, an Ike Jacket, and a Gabardine jacket?
    Was a "Gabardine" jacket just a catch all for a jacket made with Gabardine (IE The way a "leather jacket" is just a catch all for all leather jackets regardless of styling) or was it the name for a specific style of jacket?

Also, what were some other POST WWII (1945 to say the mid 70s) popular types of jackets and outerwear?
  2. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

3. Fifty150

Fifty150 A-List Customer

4. FedoraFan112390

FedoraFan112390 Practically Family

Where could I find a Ricky Jacket like this?

Where could I find a Ricky Jacket like this--with the same sort of cut and wide collar--new? Do any clothing lines make Ricky Jackets anymore or would I simply have to get an old one off of Ebay?
  5. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Going by the tags on the one in that photo, you could always try: this or this
  6. Foster

Foster One of the Regulars

As a supplement:

Ike jackets are fine woven wool with cotton twill lining (or rayon/acetate lining in 1950's production ones), closed with buttons.

Tanker jackets are a cotton twill shell with blanket wool lining and wool knit cuffs, collar, and waistband, and are closed with a zipper.
  7. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

Aero had a fantastic one-off two-tone suede Ricky in their sales section a while back.