Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner or Supper?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Got it - eye wash glass. Duh - feeling pretty stupid (but am quite familiar with that feeling). Most that I've seen today are plastic - that's my only defense.

Edit add: I did get it before post #59

No sir....I never think of you as stupid.
This is something that was probably not common when you were growing
up.

Now you put me on the spot!
I don’t know for sure the age for the ones I have.
Probably from the ‘40s or ‘50s.

I'm on fire today. As we'd say over in the "Batter Up!" thread - the count is 0-2 after two big swings and misses.

And as an aside, kudos on starting a great thread with the "Batter Up!" one - that's been a fantastic add to the Forum.

Edward

Bartender
That all makes sense, I just couldn't believe - in particular as a kid - that you ate at 4:30pm and were done for the day.

About twenty years ago, apal of my dad's went into semi-retirement and lost a significant anout on weight, which he attributed to the sole change in his diet: never eating after 6pm. Maybe one day, when I have the luxury of time....!

About twenty years ago, apal of my dad's went into semi-retirement and lost a significant anout on weight, which he attributed to the sole change in his diet: never eating after 6pm. Maybe one day, when I have the luxury of time....!

Different things work for different people. My grandmother was thin (not rail thin, normal weight) until the day she passed away and she ate dinner around 6pm and then had a meaningful snack in the 10ish area before she went to bed. I think everyone has to figure out what works for them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Juicing goes industrial, c. 1936

il_fullxfull.333362195.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm on fire today. As we'd say over in the "Batter Up!" thread - the count is 0-2 after two big swings and misses.

And as an aside, kudos on starting a great thread with the "Batter Up!" one - that's been a fantastic add to the Forum.

Thanks.
Sometimes I go astray on the baseball topic, hoping LizzieMaine won’t slap me for some
of my silly posts and photo imagery that I come up with.
I think the world of her but don’t tell her, it might go to her head. ;)

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Extended family dinners? Best thing that ever happened, as far as eating, in the family was when my cousins and I began getting married. Especially as to desserts. Our moms (sisters) and their mom (my grandmother) were essentially lazy when it came to baking. The industrial grade pumpkin and mince meat pies sold at the local supermarket were "good enough," and I choked down more than my fair share in my day. And it wasn't as if any of them were working outside of the home and couldn't spare the time to bake: they were just not skilled. It could be an ethnic thing: the Irish joke a lot about the lack of skill in the kitchen.. but I have seen many an Irish American gal militantly defend her own culinary skills, so I get that it's a stereotype from which some unjustly suffer. Anyway.. once the majority of us guys got married, the desserts improved immensely.

My Dad was the real family cook: he began watching Julia Child on PBS in the late 1960's and it inspired him to stick his neck out and become the firehouse chef at his engine company. As a result, we at home became the guinea pigs for his experiments in home made breads, soups, and other dishes... and it was great gig. Dad would do other things as well to improve the meals at home: he knew just which bakeries to hit in the city, and he'd come home with really dense Jewish rye breads, lamb cakes at Easter, pfeffernuesse cookies or a gingerbread house at Christmas, etc. Clearly, the German and Swede sides of the family had a richer culinary heritage than the Irish, or so I discovered at an early age.

So.. I never wanted to marry " ...a gal who could cook as well as Mom." "Bless her hear," and "she meant well," and all the rest, but she was just an unimaginative cook, to put it charitably. My dad could feed full engine, truck and ambulance company crews and have every one of them satisfied, if not raving praise, but my mom never tried to expand her skills in the kitchen at all.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother never had much in the way of culinary skills. The family joke was that the time she dropped her copy of Fannie Farmer in the soup kettle was the best cooking she ever did. The main dish she made was a horror called "slum," made up of overcooked hamburger, elbow macaroni, and canned tomato sauce. She also insisted on putting onions in this despite knowing I couldn't eat them, and I always dreaded the smell of it. I learned to cook my own food when I was eight years old out of self-defense.

But she did make excellent lard-fried donuts, something I myself have never mastered, despite gaining custody of the family deep fat fryer.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Supper (Canadian from the British).

When Canadian PM Justin Trudeau attended the White House state dinner with the Obamas, Barrack cracked a joke about it being the White House "supper".

And also, because the (then) President used to visit his brother in law in Burlington, Ontario, joked how he could not pronounce the nearby city of Mississauga...

Also a great scene in my favourite flick, Withnail and I:

Marwood: "Why are we having lunch in the bathroom?"

Withnail: "It's dinner. And because Danny's here to get out of this insufferable cold...".

In the RCN, the pipe at noon is "Hands to dinner", and at 1700 "hands to supper".

My mother was a horrible cook - something she'd openly acknowledge - hated cooking and, IMHO, basically spent her marriage trying to find a way to not have to cook. She bought prepared and half-prepared food way before it became popular (I ate many, many, many of those roaster chickens that supermarkets sell growing up) - a tight budget was the only thing that constrained her from doing more of this.

Vegetables came from a can or frozen bag - she bought raw hamburgers already shaped into burgers so she just had to broil them (which tasted terrible) - can soup and toast was quite common (even "grill cheese" was just toast with cheese slices put between them out of the toaster that kinda melted). Waffles were frozen / many TV dinners were served / pudding, etc. was from a can or plastic cup. I could go on, but I could not miss having met someone who was a better cook than she was.

And she never baked a thing in her life. When I started dating and - as this was before cooking shows were everywhere - was amazed when girlfriends would make me dinner or baked cookies or something from scratch. It was like they had super powers.

...My grandmother would fix a pitcher of orange juice that came in big tin cans and mixed with water & sugar for noon lunch. It was more water with sugar than orange juice. But to this day... I fix it like that which reminds me of my grandmother and I love the flavor very much, even though it’s mostly water and sugar...
When I was growing up there was a department store in the "Uptown" area that had a smallish snack bar in the basement. Whenever Mom and I would eat there, I'd order Ginger Ale. I loved the stuff! Things change, and I hadn't had Ginger Ale for a number of years. One day years later, while perusing the soft drinks in a local "Quik-E-Mart" I decided to buy a bottle of Ginger Ale. Blecch! Far too sweet! It was only then that I realized the Ginger Ale I grew up drinking was mixed incorrectly and contained far more water than syrup, but that's the way I liked it. Sadly, adding non-carbonated water to "real" Ginger Ale doesn't have the same effect.

...To keep your weight down you need to breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper.
For some people, maybe. Near my last place of employment there was a "breakfast and lunch" diner that served excellent breakfasts. Half of the plate (a rather large plate, by the way) was filled with two eggs and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage, or an omelette if that's what you ordered, and the other half filled with hash browns. Very filling, and I often didn't eat lunch because I still felt full. I ate breakfast there almost every weekday...until I realized how much weight I was gaining despite "working it off" all day. o_O Lesson learned: Don't believe everything people tell you about how and what you should eat; figure out what works best for you.

Back to the main topic, in this part of southern California "dinner" was, and still is, used far more often than "supper", and those few people who used "supper" had almost always moved here from out of state. Regardless, both words were used in the same context, referring to the main evening meal which usually occurred around 6:00 p.m. (depending upon peoples' schedules). There was no distinction between the two; they were/are synonymous here.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On the occasions when my dad fixed supper, he was good at making
home-made biscuits.
Mom was good at making French toast from scratch.

But nobody in the family could top my grandmother’s corn bread.
Made more delicious with her own gravy.

And for some reason “real’ butter today doesn’t have the same
flavor as in the past. :(

galopede

One of the Regulars
Well I'm Welsh born and bred though I live in England now. When I was a nipper, it was Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and occasionally supper before bed, which was usually a bowl of cereal. Tea was about 6pm when my father got home.

Dinner at midday I came back from school (never had a school dinner!) and it was generally soup or cheese on toast. Never heard of Welsh Rarebit until I moved to England!

Tea was the main meal of the day

Gareth

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was growing up there was a department store in the "Uptown" area that had a smallish snack bar in the basement. Whenever Mom and I would eat there, I'd order Ginger Ale. I loved the stuff! Things change, and I hadn't had Ginger Ale for a number of years. One day years later, while perusing the soft drinks in a local "Quik-E-Mart" I decided to buy a bottle of Ginger Ale. Blecch! Far too sweet! It was only then that I realized the Ginger Ale I grew up drinking was mixed incorrectly and contained far more water than syrup, but that's the way I liked it. Sadly, adding non-carbonated water to "real" Ginger Ale doesn't have the same effect.

Ginger Ale used to be a much more varied product than it is now -- "Golden" ginger ale was a much stronger version, popular in the 1910s, with a heavier ginger flavor and leaning toward the sweet side, while "Pale Dry" was the Canada Dry/Schweppes type of product that modern folk think of when somebody mentions "ginger ale." Evidently the popularity of "pale dry" as a cocktail mixer eclipsed the idea of ginger ale as a flavorful stand-alone beverage.

In New England we grew up with Cott and Clicquot Club, which offered both varieties -- but today the Golden variety is very hard to find. The only regional company that still makes it is Polar Beverages in Massachusetts, which offers "Old Fashioned Golden" in quart bottles only. While I don't normally like heavy-sweet drinks, the strong ginger flavor counteracts the sugar and makes it quite satisfying.

We used to have a kid here who had the idea that mixing Sprite and Coke at a 50-50 ratio at the fountain made "ginger ale," but I'm inclined to disagree with this theory.

⇧ My girlfriend spent her high school years in Michigan and drank Vernors ginger ale which is still made (we have it when we visit there) and has more bite / ginger flavor than pale dry ones, but for real bite, I found the brand Blenheim popping up occasionally in NYC stores and it has a real nice bite / ginger flavor to it.

http://www.blenheimgingerale.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112