Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
They're at the base of the fingernail, it's kind of a whiteish semi-circle against the cuticle. I notice not everyone has them though. :)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I only have them on my thumbs, and the one on the right thumb is a little bigger than the one on the left.

How does one leave the moons bare while painting the rest of the nail?

--Leslie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
or very carefully start the brushstrokes right where the moon ends, and then clean it up afterwards with qtip or brush....

it does work...but i can seemingly only do the non-dominant hand....need to trade half manicures with someone else.... ;)

GOK

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Miss von Teese might solve her problem of being "a bit pants" by eschewing said garment entirely...:rolleyes:

But that's just one man's opinion.

I didn't say Dita is, I said the magazine is rubbish! :rage:

fleur said:
Yeah you are right it is a bit pants but it had lots of nice stuff in it for me to try and show hubby what he might like to purchase for me for xmas :D

To be perfectly honest with you it printed snippets out of her book for quotes which was a bit disappointing!

Wish I could persuade my other half to go on the 18th but he wont :rage:

Go without him and come with us then! :D

CanadaDoll said:
I have her book too! I loooove the photos, she uses, I think they are so pretty. I wish I could go see a show, GOK be sure to tell us all about it.

I shall. I'll try to get photos too but I have a feeling that when we went last year, they didn't allow photography, which is wholly understandable.

RaasAlHayya said:
I only have them on my thumbs, and the one on the right thumb is a little bigger than the one on the left.

How does one leave the moons bare while painting the rest of the nail?

--Leslie

I'm sure I've seen little foils somewhere that you put on to mask off the moons. I don't wear nail polish on my fingernails anyway as it doesn't stay on. It's not that it chips - it literally slides off! So if I want to wear polish I just stick on some pre-painted nails for the evening. Usually I just manicure and buff my own to a sparkling shine though! :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
She did a show over here recently, which I heard was actually, a bit pants! The lady herself, is a perfect sweetheart. Or she was when I met her this year! :D

We have to be careful with Dita threads round these parts though. The man in charge is not a fan.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Would you UK ladies be kind enough to explain to this Southern girl what "a bit pants" means? I read British authors and watch British TV quite often, but this is one term I have not come across before. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the info on bare moons, ladies!

--Leslie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
For the record....

Its -how- things were discussed before, not necessarily -what- was being discussed.

This thread is about her recent magazine appearances and that's fine.

The second it veers into a detailed discussion of her charms or talents, with or without pictures, then it falls outside the remit of things we would discuss while sitting around in person with each other at a nice dinner.

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
For the record....

Its -how- things were discussed before, not necessarily -what- was being discussed.

I'm not sure I follow....are you saying that Fletch was out of line for referencing the lady's charms or that he was out of line for the manner in which he did so? Or neither?!! lol

This thread is about her recent magazine appearances and that's fine.

The second it veers into a detailed discussion of her charms or talents, with or without pictures, then it falls outside the remit of things we would discuss while sitting around in person with each other at a nice dinner.

Oh I don't know, as one who regularly holds dinner parties, I've witnessed many a digression of Fletch's kind, which has never been to the detriment of the overall conversation. I think it the natural progression of conversations to start as one thing and end as another.

Oh, and most of my dinner guests tend to be officers of the law, psychiatrists and company directors - I don't think any of them would mind in the slightest if Dita was brought up! And neither would my ladyfriends. In fact, they'd be likely to suggest that instead of talking about her, we just go and see her! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I was not saying Fletch was out of line at all.

A mention was made of the 'management' not liking Dita, based on what has happened in previous threads.

I was explaining why that comment was made and how this thread would manage to stay open as long as it didn't follow the same path.

However, unlike a real life dinner party, our audience here is varied and yet unknown and it has been decided to have things stay within certain boundaries and keep to certain standards, so that we would all feel ok if someone's 12 or 13 year old child were reading. Thus, we just 'don't go there' in terms of some topics.

We bartenders have been given the task, burden and honor of working to uphold the tone and standards that have been set, which is why we gently guide, edit and when it's necessary otherwise maintain things.

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I was not saying Fletch was out of line at all.

A mention was made of the 'management' not liking Dita, based on what has happened in previous threads.

Right, I see. That's why I asked because I wasn't sure what you meant. So do I take it that some prior threads became rather unsavoury?

I was explaining why that comment was made and how this thread would manage to stay open as long as it didn't follow the same path.

Got you! Thank you for explaining.

However, unlike a real life dinner party, our audience here is varied and yet unknown and it has been decided to have things stay within certain boundaries and keep to certain standards, so that we would all feel ok if someone's 12 or 13 year old child were reading. Thus, we just 'don't go there' in terms of some topics.

Oh, I agree - I just didn't see anything that Fletch said as being 'wrong' - hence me asking. My comments about my own dinner parties were merely to illustrate that as far as I could tell, the polite company I keep wouldn't find anything amiss in what he said. Am I rambling now?!

Basically, being rather new here myself, I'd hate to tread on toes or post something that might be considered offensive and I am aware that sometimes, something that is considered acceptable in the UK might not be in the States. That's why I asked about Fletch's comments; I just wondered if there was something in them that I wasn't seeing.

We bartenders have been given the task, burden and honor of working to uphold the tone and standards that have been set, which is why we gently guide, edit and when it's necessary otherwise maintain things.

And a fine job you all do from what I have seen thus far. Chin chin! :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I used to live in the UK,for about 2 years or so while I did a Masters degree, so I have some clue when it's just the cultural differences vs -really- intending to be out of line.

I can also type in two versions of English....and get confused with that a lot.

*grins*

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Oh, I agree - I just didn't see anything that Fletch said as being 'wrong' - hence me asking. My comments about my own dinner parties were merely to illustrate that as far as I could tell, the polite company I keep wouldn't find anything amiss in what he said. Am I rambling now?!

I don't think he did anything wrong, and your parties sound perfectly proper. Heck, Miss Manners wrote about dinner party conversation, and she said something along the lines of "Miss Manners always hears that one should never talk about religion, sex, or politics at a dinner party. Miss Manners wonders what on earth those people find to talk about, and thinks they must have very dull dinner parties."

BV - I love that she says it is rude to talk about the weather, on the grounds that it is rude to wilfully bore another person. lol

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I used to live in the UK,for about 2 years or so while I did a Masters degree, so I have some clue when it's just the cultural differences vs -really- intending to be out of line.

Mmm I know what you mean -I used to know someone from overseas who would constantly say things that annoyed some of us and then claim she didn't know any better. I'm sure she did - she'd been over here for five years at that time.

Conversely, my partner employs a German guy who is one of those people that's an expert in everything....and has to tell you. I know that he is not trying to be offensive or annoying; nevertheless, sometimes it's difficult, especially when he tries to tell me how to cook 'genuine' Italian food (I'm half Italian)!

I can also type in two versions of English....and get confused with that a lot.

*grins*

So where is your @ sign on the keyboard? Above the 2 or next to the colon/semi colon? When I was in LA, that really confused me! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My @ is currently above the 2....but for a long while after I got back I still had a UK keyboard-ed laptop, which was great fun since it still spell-checked with 'proper' spelling.

2 years is not that long, but prior to that I had several british bf's,and played online games based over there, etc...so I was already confused prior to arrival and it wasn't that bad of a transition.

GOK

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
I don't think he did anything wrong, and your parties sound perfectly proper. Heck, Miss Manners wrote about dinner party conversation, and she said something along the lines of "Miss Manners always hears that one should never talk about religion, sex, or politics at a dinner party. Miss Manners wonders what on earth those people find to talk about, and thinks they must have very dull dinner parties."

Shoes, clothes and makeup - what else? lol Or movies - always a safe bet!

BV - I love that she says it is rude to talk about the weather, on the grounds that it is rude to wilfully bore another person. lol

Oh that is priceless! I shall have to remember that one. I've been hearing a lot about this Miss Manners; what is the book and where does one get it? Is it modern or period? I have some great ones pertaining to one's servants, how to treat them and what one should expect from them. Fantastic insight into a bygone age. I had a nanny but we didn't have any other staff - I keep saying I need a maid now! Heheh!

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
My @ is currently above the 2....but for a long while after I got back I still had a UK keyboard-ed laptop, which was great fun since it still spell-checked with 'proper' spelling.

Lots of red squiggly lines then? :D

2 years is not that long, but prior to that I had several british bf's,and played online games based over there, etc...so I was already confused prior to arrival and it wasn't that bad of a transition.

Well, I hope you had many postive experiences over here - I certainly did in the States (apart from the incessant need of anyone that served me a drink to put ice in it!). What was your Masters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto