Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do coat rack hat hooks ruin hats?

Acidshort

New in Town
Hi, I was at my local hat shop and I was told not to place my fur felt hats on a coat rack because it will ruin the shape of the hat. Is this true? The coat rack that i have has hat hooks that are somewhat rounded at the point of contact with the hat, and doesn't put a sharp tension on the back of the hat.. i was wondering if this would be ok for the hats. Just want to know what you guys think. Thanks.
Aaron

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's face it...

hats start "ruining" the minute they leave the factory! Hats are made to be worn and used, unless they're a museum piece. I've never been one for observing the ritual of gently placing my hat upside down on a clean dry surface...... how boring! :p

If you hang your hat on a hat hook for the time it takes to get a hair cut and incur damage - it's the hat, not the hook! The wonderful thing about our fedoras is that can be cleaned and reblocked and they're just like new.

The wonderful part about fedoras and the mystique of vintage, is the cavalier attitude that goes with it. I toss my hat and hang it wherever - that's the fun it! :D

-dixon cannon

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Howard Johnson is right! Oops,don't know where that Blazing Saddles reference came from...:D I agree 100% with Dixon Cannon. Of course I don't own any vintage,but I do have one of Art Fawcett's very fine hats that I take good care of. Still it gets tossed on the coat rack or on a table brim down. The brim snaps back into shape every time and crown always looks fine. If it has to go into a museum it's not for me!

Twitch

I would imagine that the olden metal hooks would eventually make an impression on a hat if it was left there long enough. The rounded wooden pegs as big around as your thumb types probably would be safe.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Short term damage from a lunch, dinner or haircut? It is to laugh! No chance.

Longer term? Two of my whippets and one Open Road are on large nails inside and above my hall closet door. After nearly a year, none show any deformity. Maybe if I left them for a few years and never removed them, it would be a problem - but each is removed and subjefcted to the stress of wear.

If I had a nicer hat rack with large rounded mounts for the hats, it would be better - but I'm not concerned. A hat is to be worn, and to wear it, I need to be able to get at it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm in the process of installing hooks on the wall up by the ceiling all around the edge of my room. Seems that my hat collection has overflowed my closed. Now how'd that happen?
They're plastic with big squishy rubber bulbs on the end. They should do the trick- and they're not pointy or hard where the hat touches them- se they shouldn't kill any of my hats.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Wooden Balls

This is what I use. It has maple balls that are smooth and no varnish, just a little carnuba hand wax rubbed in, and off. You could do one with billiards probably too!
LARGE%20FEDORA%20HAT%20RACK-5.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

Hey, Duane, that looks familiar! I may need another one, though. :)

I'd say if your hat is soaking wet, don't hang it on a hook, but otherwise I can't see a problem. There just doesn't seem to be enough weight to put stress on the hat body.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

So I was thinking about buying a couple of hat holders but i'm not too sure about what kind I should buy. i'm looking for a stand but I see that the part which actually held the hat can have different shape and can either be made of steel or wood.

The idea is to store fur felt hats for the summer not to display them. So i'm looking for something that would aggress too much the fur. Those hats are Fedora-shaped

Also I am wondering if holding the hat like that would affect the brim . I read that the hat had to be stored upside down.

Should I rather buy some boxes ?

Any advice

Guillaume, for storing your hats to now and again use them I use these hat displayhooks. These can be found online at sites for shopmaterials; look for hat displays. If my hats get stored for longer periods I just use carboard boxes and put the hats inside upside down so the brim doesn't get distorted.
hoedenbeugel.jpg

I've used some other more unusual hanging devices too... never found a problem. My hats generally weigh 2-5 ounces - most in the 3-4 ounce range. Their weight can be supported from a small area of the felt without much problem. For longer term hanging, I like the tennis balls for distributing the force.

hook2.jpg

hook3.jpg

Last edited:

DanO

One of the Regulars
Feel free to move if necessary. This is my hatrack solutions not by far the final but just what I have going now. As my hat sickness progresses I am sure I will probably have to buy another house just for hat storage.
The first images are a hat tree from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UULG440/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The second images are also wall mounted rustic eclectic hat racks, the one next to the clock is three hats (daily rotation)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KL5QRO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KL5QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20170430_155541.jpg
    20170430_155541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,411
  • 20170430_155707.jpg
    20170430_155707.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,426

DanO

One of the Regulars
Feel free to move if necessary. This is my hatrack solutions not by far the final but just what I have going now. As my hat sickness progresses I am sure I will probably have to buy another house just for hat storage.
The first images are a hat tree from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UULG440/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The second images are also wall mounted rustic eclectic hat racks, the one next to the clock is three hats (daily rotation)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KL5QRO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KL5QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DanO

One of the Regulars
not sure what happened with all the photos but will try again

Attachments

• 20170430_155434 (3).jpg
    20170430_155434 (3).jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 1,343

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
Hi, I was at my local hat shop and I was told not to place my fur felt hats on a coat rack because it will ruin the shape of the hat. Is this true? The coat rack that i have has hat hooks that are somewhat rounded at the point of contact with the hat, and doesn't put a sharp tension on the back of the hat.. i was wondering if this would be ok for the hats. Just want to know what you guys think. Thanks.
Aaron
I use to baby my akubra cattleman since it was my first fur felt hat. It wasn't until that i realized that its a hat thats worn in the outback in the worst conditions... daily... 365 days a year. Ever since i stopped treating it like a baby it's actually gained character and in my opinion looks better. Hipsters treat their hats like babies and perform all kinds of crazy rituals. Take care of the hat but dont treat it like a baby unless its a formal hat. The only hat i treat like a baby is my Worth & Worth hat. If anybody knows why its cause they know the price of a worth and worth hat which isn't worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points