Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you count 1945 through 1963 as part of the Golden Era?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
For American board users, do you count the Post War period between 1945 and 1963 (ending with the JFK assassination) as part of the Golden Era? What about simply 1945 to 1959, basically the '50s?

Edward

Bartender
I'm not American, so the term doesn't have any real resonance for me, (which is, of course, why you qualified that by asking for views of American forumites), but weren't the years 1960-63 really just a continuation of the 50s anyhow?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For me, the Era is a mindset, not an aesthetic -- and it ended in 1945. Postwar is when it all started to go wrong: suburbanization, "white flight," awful music, gimmicky movies, U Auto Buy Now, and the rise of Scientific Marketing. In a fundamental way, "The Fifties" were the birth of the modern empty, disposable consumeristic mindset.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just awful. Americans completely forgot how to write a decent song around the middle of the war, and never regained the knack. And once that rock-n-roll stuff got started, everything went straight down the pipe.

American popular music -- and for that matter, American culture in general -- reached its peak in 1937. It's been downhill ever since.

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
D
Just awful. Americans completely forgot how to write a decent song around the middle of the war, and never regained the knack. And once that rock-n-roll stuff got started, everything went straight down the pipe.

American popular music -- and for that matter, American culture in general -- reached its peak in 1937. It's been downhill ever since.

Lizzie, if I may ask a couple of questions, can you firstly recommend some pre 1945 music artists you consider great and great representations of the Golden Era musically?

Secondly, what do you mean by the Golden Era was a mindset, can you describe it?

Lastly, may I ask why 1937 is the cut-off year for you in terms of America's cultural and musical apex?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1. Gershwin, Kern, Porter, Arlen, Berlin, Carmichael, Harburg, Green, Rodgers and Hart, Razaf and Waller, Warren and Dubin, Robin and Rainger, Revel and Gordon, Fields and McHugh, Fain and Kahal, DeSylva Brown and Henderson, and that's just for starters.

2. The Era marked the time when Americans were most conscious of their role as members of a community rather than focusing on themselves as isolated individuals.

3. George Gershwin died in 1937. No era that doesn't have George Gershwin alive in it could ever be the apex of anything.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
1. Gershwin, Kern, Porter, Arlen, Berlin, Carmichael, Harburg, Green, Rodgers and Hart, Razaf and Waller, Warren and Dubin, Robin and Rainger, Revel and Gordon, Fields and McHugh, Fain and Kahal, DeSylva Brown and Henderson, and that's just for starters.

2. The Era marked the time when Americans were most conscious of their role as members of a community rather than focusing on themselves as isolated individuals.

3. George Gershwin died in 1937. No era that doesn't have George Gershwin alive in it could ever be the apex of anything.

Besides Gershwin and Porter, I have no idea who the rest of those folks are! LOL!

I see too many musical makers in there. Gee, at last give me some Ink Spots and Al Jolson. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, who do you think wrote their songs? In the Era, music was less about any specific performance than it was about the song itself -- there was none of this "cover version" nonsense you have today. Any performer could do any song and give it their particular treatment, but the song itself remained the dominant thing. The songwriters were the great artists in the music of the Era.

To take an example, there were many, many recordings of "The Way You Look Tonight," possibly the single greatest song of the 1930s, and even though Fred Astaire introduced it on film, it could still be performed by anyone -- and it still is, to this day. It's become immortal, due to the artistry of Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields in creating it.

Last edited:
So nobody liked the Beetles?

I don't know why they called them the Fab Four. :p
btw, which one is Ringo?

457767c-i1.0-750549.jpg

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points