Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Listen To The Radio?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I listen to AM740, a great local station for old time radio. I have all my vintage radios tuned to this one.

They've recently started to broadcast online at the following web address:
http://www.am740.ca/main.htm

I listen to them often in my car, but when I'm near streetcar wires it will distort the reception and I have to switch around the dial to FM stations.

And sadly, they don't only play that great old stuff. There's also some long bouts of newer "easy listening" with people such as Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand that force me to turn them off.

But, overall, I think they're great.

Flivver

Practically Family
I listen to the radio all the time...both AM and FM. Some of my favorites include:

WBZ-AM 1030 Boston for news

WEEI-AM 850 Boston for the Red Sox

WABC-AM 770 New York for the Saturday night oldies program

WJR-AM 760 Detroit for automotive news

WODS-FM 103.3 Boston for the Dale Dorman Breakfast Club...I listened to Dale on WRKO-AM back in the late 60s!

WICN-FM 90.5 Worcester, MA for great jazz...I helped to put this station on the air back in 1969

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
As far as terrestrial radio goes, I'm ashamed to admit that I listen almost entirely to FM. (Tip of the fedora to my neighbor Maj. E.H. Armstrong, who invented it.) Mostly pubtalk & news on WNYC, classical ditto, jazz on WBGO.

When in Iowa the dial never strays from the WOI stations, AM 640 and FM 90.1..."a service of your Iowa State University."

LizzieQuizzie: WOI has a program called The Music Shop that's broadcast classical recordings - continuously, I'm told - since 1924. Is 83 years the record for one show?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RetroToday said:
I listen to AM740, a great local station for old time radio. I have all my vintage radios tuned to this one.

They've recently started to broadcast online at the following web address:
http://www.am740.ca/main.htm

I listen to them often in my car, but when I'm near streetcar wires it will distort the reception and I have to switch around the dial to FM stations.

And sadly, they don't only play that great old stuff. There's also some long bouts of newer "easy listening" with people such as Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand that force me to turn them off.

But, overall, I think they're great.
Thanks for the address, RetroToday. Now I'll get the Neighbourhood Mechanic and The Diner again! Alas, my station plays some of the new un-easy listening too, like Josh Groban and Vanessa Williams. Ew. That's when I can't get to the volume knob quickly enough.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much only listen to WBUR (from Boston University), which is an NPR station. Occasionally I'll remember to tune into "Backwoods" (vintage rock n roll, country, RnB) and Jason Beek's "American Primitive" (gospel, blues, roots music) on Saturday mornings on MIT's WMBR.

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Radio today

I listen to a local AM station, WJEJ 1230. Every Saturday evens from 5:00 to 9:00. They start this set with BIG BAND JUMP, followed by WHEN RADIO WAS. It is a good time to give my vintage radios a workout on commercial broadcasts instead off of the transmitter. During the day I am all over the dial both AM & FM. I sepend half of my time in a vehicle and I can’t stay tuned to one station for long.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
Chicago Cubs Baseball, WGN 720* AM :) (2nd Place, NL Central)

Ditto!

Also, a LOT of NPR! On the FM the only thing I listen to is the local, community supported independent radio station. They play lots of 30's through 50's stuff on there. Very awesome.

Edward

Bartender
NPR? Que es?

I have been trying to listen to more radio in recent years. I tend to think of it as a more intellectual format than television, though obviously that's nothing but a crude stereotype. I like the BBC channels very much - not so much Radio 1 any more (too kid and pop oriented, but then that's it's brief), but Radio 2 has some good stuff. Radio 4 is great for news, politics, classical and commentary; for new music there's Radio 6, Radio 7 is also entertainment. I might alternaticely tune into one of a very small number of commercial stations (in general, I find them of lower quality than the BBC output) - XFM, Classic FM, mainly. The DAB radio I have in my kitchen has been great, I'm really discovering some great radio. I'm trying to get back into the habit of hunting out great radio to seek out rather than it be a background filler when I'm not doing anything else. Local BBC Radio here is okay - it used to be much better back in the day before they remodelled it to turn it into a talk-radio formatted channel - used to have some superb programmes on new music and so on, much more varied than it has become. I also occasionally listen to LBC, a commwercial London base FM station. That's what's on my bedroom based alarm at the minute. The breakfast DJ winds me up something shocking - nasty little right winger, which helps get the brain in gear in the morning. I must retune it to Radio 4, though...

If I had the opportunity and all things worked out, I'd love to be in radio. My dream job, of course, would be to act, but if I was to be working as "me" in a media field, I'd much rather work with radio than television.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Dutch McCoy said:
Ditto!

Also, a LOT of NPR! On the FM the only thing I listen to is the local, community supported independent radio station. They play lots of 30's through 50's stuff on there. Very awesome.

And Notre Dame Football on 'LS, right? lol

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
And Notre Dame Football on 'LS, right? lol

I am very sorry but I just do not like college sports. I tried and it did not work out. If I was forced at gun-point to pick a favoite college team it would be a tie between Indiana (as I live in Bloomington) and Notre Dame. Does that make you feel any better?

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I listen to Sirius Satellite Radio all of the time - I have a unit in the car and at the office. At the office I use the FM modulator to transmit the signal to the Crosley replica at my office desk (since the FM they used back in the good ol' days is now obsolete).

At home I can stream Sirius through my computer.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Having worked in radio at both Infinity and Clear Channel (intern), I can say I want nothing further to do with the industry the way it is currently going.

If I listen to radio, it's classical music. We used to have great station here when I was in high school and one day it was suddenly rap music. Horrible!

Anyway, it's a myriad of things with me, but lately:

The Bioshock soundtrack (made by me of the period songs in the game)
Ella Fitzgerald
Louis Armstrong
Cab Calloway
Andrews Sisters
or Serbian Zabavno music

BORNTOOLATE

New in Town
There is absolutely nothing contemporary in the way of music that I care to hear on the radio. I do listen to political talk radio as long as I can stand it. Then I'm back to cd's or internet radio.

merkman

Familiar Face
XM rocks!

Our radio selections where we live are sad to say the least.
The best thing I ever did since the radio at my shop is on all day and on my 40 mile drive going home, is XM satelite radio. XM radio classics plays old radio shows from the 30's, 40's, and 50's, . Channel 4 is 30's and 40's music . plus over 170 channels to chose from NPR to ESPN to any era of music you want. Air America is one we listen to a lot along with NPR.
I can't say enough how much we enjoy it. It's wonderfull not being held hostage to clear channel anymore. WELL worth the $12.95 a month.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko