Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear hats because you're balding?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, I'll Fess up...

I guess I'm a loner, I suppose. I'm 46 and totally bald. I started losing my hair pretty much, right out of high school & it was devastating to me to lose it that young, so I started wearing ballcaps and almost all the time too. I guess I just got used to wearing them & people just got used to seeing me in them, all the time. I still wear them today as well, to work and such. But I love fedoras, always did, I bought 1 or 2 cheaper canvas types back in the 80's and wore them on occasion, but nothing more came of it til later on in life when I can really appreciate them more.

I still wear ballcaps. I guess you can say to hide my baldness, but it's also for protection as well. I've gotten a few bad cases of sun-poisoning in the past that I don't want repeating. I now also love to sport my new rekindled love of Fedoras as well though.

So I guess it's yes and no, but to be truthful.....yes, I don't know why, my wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I do now!

Though I have a little bit of graying fuzz on top, it's pretty thin, so I bought a cheap Stetson straw a few years ago for walking around outdoors. But having seen my dad -- who has hair -- get multiple skin cancers on his face and neck (which are routinely frozen or burnt off by the dermatologist), I pretty much wear a wider-brimmed hat whenever I can.

So I don't try to hide my lack of hair, but I do want to keep my melanin-free melon safe from the sun.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
bolthead said:
So I guess it's yes and no, but to be truthful.....yes, I don't know why, my wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

Completely bald is sexy. I think most women would agree.

I always notice men with shaved heads & find them tremendously attractive. If a man is good-looking a shaved head accentuates it, and it can also look very youthful. I've always loved military boys because of their buzz cuts or totally bald heads.

mingoslim

Practically Family
My Mama dun tol' me . . .

Prairie Shade said:
Its just a question. I thought I'd ask.

I have worn hats all my life . . . and when I was a teenager, my mother always said it would cause me to go bald . . .

Well, I continued to wear hats, and I did go bald . . . So I just started shaving what was left off . . . That way it does not detract form my hats.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bolthead said:
I started losing my hair pretty much, right out of high school & it was devastating to me to lose it that young, wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

For me, age 17. Devastating is a good word. I could think of others. Hats are a nice respite from the curse. I have never believed that if a woman had a choice between a bald man and a man with hair on his head...she would choose the bald guy. Maybe that's not the same thing as bald is sexy, or I should say,totally bald is sexy.

dean

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
No

My hairline is starting to move back a bit, but I'd say that I still have a full head of hair. So no, I don't wear a hat because I'm balding. I do wear a hat to keep me warm in the winter and dry in the rain. I don't have a straw yet, so I don't wear hats as much in the summer. However, I'm working on getting a new Panama.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Well, in all honesty, it certainly was a factor in getting me to start wearing hats. I'm thinning up to towards the aft, and it's gotten pretty sparse back there. I often forget, because from the front my hair looks fine.

I certainly am not in love with my bald spot, so the idea of a hat was made more appealing. Still, it was just a factor - I also thought it was just a spiffy look.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
On the contrary ...

I actually started wearing hats because of too much hair ;)
Remember the 70's hair, thick and a sticking a mile out from the skull? I must have received this curse by being born near the end of the 70's. My hair grows fast and thick. It's unquestionably ... let's say ... puffy.
So as an embarrassed teenager I started wearing ball caps anywhere they'd let me (including church; except Easter and weddings when my parents insisted that I brush my hair and leave the hat at home).

In college I matured out of ball caps and embarrassment, then started wearing whatever else I could get my hands on.
Nowadays I keep my hair trimmed down very short and wear a hat for style and sun protection.

mingoslim

Practically Family
By the way . . .

mingoslim said:
Well, I continued to wear hats, and I did go bald . . . So I just started shaving what was left off . . . That way it does not detract from my hats.

If I was told by the Lord above that I could have all my hair back in its glory, but I could never again wear a hat, I would remain bald . . .

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I'm wearing hats because they have style

Second my answer abovelol

2 days ago I was at haircut-enough hair went for a fur felt...:eek: :eek: :eek: morbid!

I try to stop making stupid remarks like that. I must grow up now. Promise.

"Rejoice, young man, during your childhood, and let your heart be pleasant during the days of young manhood".

"brainpower doesn't tolerate hairs"

Do you have this proverb?

Chaperon

New in Town
Like an egg with a silver fringe...

I've been bald for years, but it's not to hide that fact that I wear hats.

I wear them because:

1) I like them,
2) I don't like to be cold and, as we all know, hats help lots there,
3) I've had several pre-cancerous skin patches removed in the last two years. I live in the southern US so sun exposure protection is a must. The dematologist recommends a 3 inch brim as a minimum, if you're curious. Hats plus long sleeves plus an annual check up by both my family physician and by the dermotologist should keep the knife at bay (smile).

Reason #1 is my chief motivation however - I like them!

I never cared a bit about going bald by the way. Just seemed like a natural event to me. I've been thinning since I was in my thirties and I'm now in my mid fifties. I stay away from the dreaded combover (shutters) :eek: and go with a short buzz cut on the silver grey fuzz and fringe I do have left. Looks far, far neater and more honest. No hat-hair. And so gezzer age-appropriate too..:)

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
I am not going bald, although my hair is thinning ever so slightly in places at 37 years old. I've traditionally been a baseball cap guy, but I've grown to really like my first fedora, a Jimmy Pierce Indy hat. It is awesome for style and shade from the Colorado sun.

The great thing is I can wear it with a tie or casual stuff, unlike the limited use of a baseball cap.

Steve

czack

One of the Regulars
Love came first.

I always liked hats, even as a kid I wore them. Usually they were ivy caps or baseball caps. As I got older Mother Nature made it a necessity. See previous posts on sun exposure, cold, rain, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk