Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs "Gay Blade"

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Not that there's anything wrong with that!;)

Just won this Dobbs on the 'Bay:

SideView.jpg

Looks quite "Whippet-esque," and love the color combo. Can't wait for this to arrive...

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here is a 1947 ad touting the "Gay Blade," the "Gay Prince," and introducing Dobbs' new color, "Gay Gray."
[Apparently, Dobbs did not have a "don't ask/don't tell" policy...:) ]:

1947DobbsGayBladeAd.jpg

I believe that the Gay Prince featured a felt on felt "ribbon" treatment that was attached with whip stitching. This same whip stitching was used around the brim, offering a rather unique look. The Gay Blade, on the other hand, appears to have been more traditional in appearance.

I'll definitely be posting photos once the hat arrives...

Cheers,
JtL

Feraud

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Here is a 1947 ad touting the "Gay Blade," the "Gay Prince," and introducing Dobbs' new color, "Gay Gray."
[Apparently, Dobbs did not have a "don't ask/don't tell" policy...:) ]:
Fascinating! Apparently Dobbs was the first out of the closet hatmaker.
And some of us think the "old days" were so square.:)

If jimmy the lid posts the dimension of the bound edge we can compare it to the Whippet edge.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
To my untrained eye it looks as if the edge trim is wider than on a Whippet. Those in the know, is that correct?

You could be right, RBH. The bound edge on my Whippet is 3/8".

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's true. The most common (and derogatory) golden era words describing gay men were "fruit," "fairy" and "pansy."

Speaking of the term "fairy," it was said of flamingly gay men that they were "light in the loafers" and "their feet never touched the ground."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112