• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Does a jacket without breast pocket look odd?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by hPPYs, Jul 17, 2011.

1. hPPYs

hPPYs New in Town

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Yes.

3. Yes and no. The example to which you link is historically correct. On the other hand, if you were to replicate the typical 1930s through 1950s suit, it might look a little unusual without a breast pocket as one would normally have been found on the typical designs in that period. On a subjective, personal level, I'm so used to wearing a blazer or suitjacket with a breast pocket and pocket square that I probably would find it a little odd to not have one myself.

4. Quite. (Although I do suspect that the bright blue jacket in the first photo on the page linked to is not a true Nehru: the button stance looks wrong. I may, of course, be misinterpreting the visual cues, but it looks to me more like a Tyrolean style jacket with the lapels buttoned closed.)

5. Tomasso

It looks like a regular sportcoat.

6. hPPYs

hPPYs New in Town

Thank you.

[​IMG]
    I also found a photo of George Washington Carver in 1902,and most of those people didn't have breast pockets.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. Tomasso

Oh sure, it was common back in the day but that wasn't your question.......;)

8. HodgePodge

HodgePodge One of the Regulars

I'm fairly certain this is the Jacket http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/320x480/Shows/SS2007/Paris/Mens/YSL_Rive_Gauche/00010f.jpg
    He's popped the collar, which judging by the material on the underside wasn't what YSL had in mind, and buttoned a button I don't think was truly meant to be buttoned.
    The fact that the Sartorialist likes that makes me feel like less of a failure for not having any sartorial je ne sais quois.

9. I think it looks odd on a post-20s suit or sport jacket, unless it as extremely sporty jacket such as a shooting jacket in which case no breast pocket might look acceptable. For example, on this jacket I think it looks OK:
    [​IMG]

10. Looking at each photo in this thread so far I can't come up with a single jacket where I go "hey, there's no breast pocket, what the!" or "Hey, there'a breast pocket on that jacket, what the!"

I think, just think, mind you, that we're in agreement. The presence or absence of a breast pocket will look strange, only in certain circumstances and only then to certain people. Sometimes.

11. dustyjohnson10

dustyjohnson10 New in Town

actually sometimes it do look good but sometimes it doesn't! it all depends on the type of jacket a person has!

12. hPPYs

hPPYs New in Town

Thank you,everyone!

13. Tomasso

I wouldn't want a jacket sans breast pocket, but not so much that it is odd or unattractive but because that's where I stow my sunglasses when not in use. Where would I put them.[huh]

[​IMG]

14. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Ditto /\

15. Now THAT'S interesting.

16. With the exception of that shooting jacket (which I actually like), I cannot help but feel that a shirt or a jacket without a breast pocket approaches uselessness. If I am feeling really dressy I want a pocket square. If not, like Tomasso, I want a place for my dark glasses/notebook/shopping list/etc. Nothing official, just a personal opinion . . .

17. Salieri

Salieri One of the Regulars

Really? Really???