Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What a wonderful way to begin an evening. I'll get some ice. :p

szrac.jpg

Rye has finally made a comeback here in New York, too. I used to have to stock up on Wild Turkey whenever down South, or order it online (expensive with shipping) but now it's being carried by some of the larger shops in Manhattan. I keep meaning to try Old Potrero which is supposed to be a 19th Century Rye. With all due respect to the fans, Jim Beam Rye may not be the best first venture into the spirit.

Regards,

Senator jack

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sazerac is fine

Okay, first impressions/mini review:

The Sazerac is wonderfully rich and complex. Not quite as spicy, (but only by a little) or quite the kick as the 100 proof, but still richer in flavor. The first thing to hit the nose is the essence of mineral spirits, which isn't quite what I would like to smell, but not off-putting enough to stop me from drinking it.

Taste is of grass and molasses, with floral hints coming through. The sugar lingers slightly, until it finishes with pepper and lemon. Everything that I look for in a Rye is there, and this is definitely a fine example of the liquor. A little more than I'm used to paying, but that's beside the point, at this point.

Back to my glass...

Brad

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
With all due respect to the fans, Jim Beam Rye may not be the best first venture into the spirit.

Why so? This is the only rye I could find locally, but given this thread, I'm planning to expand my search. What should separate Beam from other ryes? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Wasn't my cup of rye, Johnnysan. Can't recall much about the Beam because the bottle sat in my cabinet for some years after the first drink and I think I finally ended up tossing it. Perhaps I was too used to Turkey by that point. :)

Hmm...looks like I'll have to do some "comparison drinking" lol

Two points

Scotrace -
I got to try Templeton on NY Eve. One of my neighbors brought it over. He's into single malts, small batch bourbons and now rye. Very rich taste. I enjoyed it very much. I forgot to ask him how and where he got it. Pennsylvania is a "State Store" state. I often have to go to Maryland to find my high-end aged rums.

Absinthe 1900 -
I was floored to see that Sazerac glass from the Roosevelt Hotel in N.O. in your photo. I have two of the same glasses. I picked them up at an estate sale in Clear Lake, TX almost 20 years ago.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have been drinking Mahattans lately. The original recipe calls for rye. Most bars make it with bourbon these days. I have had them with rye in the past but usually make them with Maker's Mark at home. I will have to give rye another shot.....pun intended.:D

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Rittenhouse Rye

MK said:
I have been drinking Mahattans lately. The original recipe calls for rye. Most bars make it with bourbon these days. I have had them with rye in the past but usually make them with Maker's Mark at home. I will have to give rye another shot.....pun intended.:D

I have been drinking Rye for years, and so far...my favorite is Rittenhouse Rye.

FG.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sazerac!

Absinthe_1900 said:
The six year old Sazerac Rye is very nice. You can find it for about $28.00

szrac.jpg

A classic Sazerac cocktail is a great drink.
It's so delicious... the SazeracBar in the Hotel Roosevelt in New Orleans is of course the best place to drink it! Every year they have an event in September (since 1946!) in which the ladies of the town dress up (in vintage!!! Hats and gloves!!!) to Storm the Sazerac and be served - celebrating their demand to be served for the first time in 46. Apparently ladies were not served in the hotel until then.
If that isn't a candidate for a FL event, I do not know what is!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MMM!

MK said:

The Maker's Mark Manhattan is a noble drink. In fact, I think I will have one right now!!!

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I need to make a more detailed examination of ryes. So far I've only tried a few (part of this is due to my being under the legal drinking age). In general, I think it's a push with bourbon for me, although there are a couple small-batch bourbons I've really enjoyed. Can anyone recommend some comparable ryes for me to try?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
It's so delicious... the Sazerac Bar in the Hotel Roosevelt in New Orleans is of course the best place to drink it! Every year they have an event in September (since 1946!) in which the ladies of the town dress up (in vintage!!! Hats and gloves!!!) to Storm the Sazerac and be served - celebrating their demand to be served for the first time in 46. Apparently ladies were not served in the hotel until then.
If that isn't a candidate for a FL event, I do not know what is!

I prefer a Sazerac made at the Napoleon House, and the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone, over the ones made at the Sazerac Bar. They are frequently made too sweet
If you go to the Sazerac Bar, tell the bartender to go easy on the sugar.

sazeracfixings.jpg

My favorite Sazerac is made with vintage Herbsaint, instead of the modern incarnation of Herbsaint, but that is a very long story.;)

GentlemanFarmer said:
I was floored to see that Sazerac glass from the Roosevelt Hotel in N.O. in your photo. I have two of the same glasses. I picked them up at an estate sale in Clear Lake, TX almost 20 years ago.

My glass came from NOLA, the other vintage Legendre & Co. items came from several places around the country.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dapper Dan said:
I need to make a more detailed examination of ryes. So far I've only tried a few (part of this is due to my being under the legal drinking age). In general, I think it's a push with bourbon for me, although there are a couple small-batch bourbons I've really enjoyed. Can anyone recommend some comparable ryes for me to try?

I'm afraid not - nor should anyone do so, as you are under the legal drinking age and should not be a participant in this activity, or this thread, old man.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Golden Era rye cocktails!

As promised, here are a bunch of rye cocktails from a book I have - "The Barman's Mentor: For Professionals, Private Bats And Home Use" (1936).

Byrrh

1/4 jigger French Vermouth
1/4 jigger Rye
1/2 jigger Byrrh*

Stir thoroughly with cracked ice and strain

*Byrrh: This is a tangy and bittersweet French vermouth that's made with quinine and red wine. It's usually mixed with club soda. Substitutes: Dubbonet OR Punt ?® Mes OR Suze

Dubonnet Manhattan

1/3 jigger Rye
2/3 jigger Dubonnet
dash bitters

Stir thoroughly with cracked ice and strain

Millionaire

2 dashes orange Curacao
2 dashes Grenadine
1 jigger Rye
1 egg white

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice and strain. Uses a 5oz daquiri glass or a punch goblet

Morning Glory

3 dashes lemon juice
2 dashes Absinthe (or substitute)
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 jigger Rye

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice and strain. Uses a 5oz daquiri glass or a punch goblet

Klondike

1/2 jigger orange juice
1 jigger Bourbon or Rye
1 split of ginger ale

Serve with 2 or 3 ice cubes in a Collins glass. Garnish with orange peel

Jap (fizz)

1/2 jigger lemon juice
1 tsp powdered sugar
1 egg white
1/2 jigger port wine
1/2 jigger Rye

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice, strain and fill with charged water (soda water). Serve in a 10 oz fizz glass.

Soul Kiss (fizz)

1 jigger orange juice
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 jigger Rye
1/4 jigger French Vermouth
1/4 jigger Dubonnet

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice, strain and fill with charged water.

Rye Punch

1/2 jigger lemon juice
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1 jigger Bourbon or Rye
2 dashes white Curacao

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice and strain into goblet filled with fine ice. Add one quirt of charged water. Sire, decorate with fruit and serve with straws.

Stone Fence

1 jigger Rye
2 or 3 ice cubes
apple cider

Place rye and ice in 14 oz collins glass, fill with cider, stir and serve.

Rock and Rye

1/2 lb Rock Candy
1 lemon cut in quarters
1 whole orange peel
6 cloves
1 stick cinnamon
Rye whiskey

Put these ingredients into one quart glass jar in the order given and fill jar with Rye whiskey. Let this brew for 24 hours and it will be ready for use. NOTE: New York State does not allow this to be prepared in advance - it must be bought from a Liquor store.

Ward 8

1/2 jigger orange juice
1/2 jigger lemon juice
1 tsp Grenadine
1 jigger Rye

Shake thoroughly with cracked ice and strain into 10 or 12 oz goblet containing 2 or 3 ice cubes. Add one dash of syphon or other charged water. Insert one long, thin slice of pineapple, one half slice of orange and one Maraschino cherry. NOTE: This drink is especially popular in Boston where it originated.

Whiskey Special

2 or 3 dashes of gum syrup
2 dashes bitters
2 dashes Maraschino
1 dash absinthe or substitute
1 jigger Rye

Stir thoroughly with cracked ice and strain. Twist one thin piece of lemon rind over cocktail glass to express the oil and insert. The flavor is improved by moistening the edge of the glass with a piece of lemon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points