Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

You know, I have loved brown liquor for thirty years. I've downed enough Maker's Mark, Blanton's and Jack Daniels to float a freighter. But until I stumbled onto this thread, I had never thought about rye. And I had never tasted it. At least, not that I can recall.

Tonight, at the liquor store, I saw a display of Jim Beam Straight Rye Wiskey. I bought a fifth and, as I write these words, am conducting a little taste test---Jim Beam Rye against Jack Black Label. I thought of comparing it to Blanton's Single Barrel, but that might have not been fair to the rye. By the way, both contestants sit before me straight.

I have very little ablility to describe the taste of something. I understand that some people can, but I can't. I've sat puzzled at wine tastings while people dressed in tweed thrilled at the "nutty, chocolatey, slightly-fruity flavor" of the wine they were sipping. I was just happy that I was able to tell the Merlot from the Pinot Grigio. But I can tell if I like or dislike the taste of something and I can now say that I like rye wiskey. Even the humble Jim Beam brand. It is not quite a mellow or "round" as burbon (does that make sense?), but it is not harsh or acrid, either. Its quite smooth, actually. And it tastes less sweet to me---drier, to borrow a vintner's term.

Well, it isn't Blanton's, but it is good. I might not drink it often, but I can see how it might be a nice occasional change from my normal burbon on the rocks.

Atticus

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
MK said:
I just bought a bottle of Sazerac. I will see how it compares to Maker's Mark tonight.

I loves Sazerac. It makes good Sazeracs, if you can belive that.

My Rye of choice at home is 40 Creek, a small batch produced Canadian product that seems to please a lot of pallettes.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I'm afraid not - nor should anyone do so, as you are under the legal drinking age and should not be a participant in this activity, or this thread, old man.

That was a rather brusque thing to say. I'm not sure about other states, but in Texas, it is legal to drink no matter what one's age as long as one's parents are present and consent to it. And given that I will be 21 in a month, I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask for suggestions.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey rye today. Our ABC stores here are city owned and Wild Turkey and Jim Beam were the only two brands they had. It's only about ten miles to an ABC store in SC from here. I'm going there Monday and see if I can find some Sazerac. The Wild Turkey is good, but not too much different than the bourbon I usually drink. I'll probably keep a bottle here now.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey rye today

I remember reading an interview with Evel Knievel some years back where somebody asked him if he was ever afraid before doing his stunts and he said something like, "No, I always have a couple shots of Wild Turkey."

carter

I'll Lock Up
Just so we're clear...

Dapper Dan said:
That was a rather brusque thing to say. I'm not sure about other states, but in Texas, it is legal to drink no matter what one's age as long as one's parents are present and consent to it. And given that I will be 21 in a month, I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask for suggestions.

Here is the portion of the current Texas statute regarding consumption of alcohol by a minor that stipulates the only legal circumstance for consumption by a minor. Note that it clearly states who may allow the minor to consume and that the beverage must be purchased for or given to the minor by said person. Also, the adult who provided the beverage must be present when it is consumed.

Sec. 106.06. PURCHASE OF ALCOHOL FOR A MINOR; FURNISHING ALCOHOL TO A MINOR
(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.
(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.
(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Jovan

Suspended
As a guy who just turned 21 last September, and who is always looking for a good drink to relax with (I do not like to "get trashed" like some of my peers, thank you) I will look into this. Thanks everyone.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dapper Dan said:

It was strongly worded, and I apologize for any offense given. It would not do for The Fedora Lounge to be seen as encouraging underage consumption, as MK said. Even if you will be 21 in a few hours, underage is still underage.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Iowans have acces to what is supposed to be great Rye: Templetons. Anyone tried it?

home_product_shot.jpg

Templeton Rye is very good. I would suggest it to anyone who likes rye or would like to give it a try.

Marty M.

Vendor
scotrace said:
It was strongly worded, and I apologize for any offense given. It would not do for The Fedora Lounge to be seen as encouraging underage consumption, as MK said. Even if you will be 21 in a few hours, underage is still underage.

I wish I was underage [huh] .
Marty Mathis

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Curt Dawson said:
If you stop into OKV ive me a ring.I love an excuse to enoy a tumler of rye neat.;)

You've got a deal. I have a lot of family in OK...but since my grandfather's passing I don't really get out that way.

But if you ever get to LA, Portland, NYC, Chicago or any of the other cites we have get togethers......;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff