Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
When & Where

MK said:
You've got a deal. I have a lot of family in OK...but since my grandfather's passing I don't really get out that way.

But if you ever get to LA, Portland, NYC, Chicago or any of the other cites we have get togethers......;)
When & where in LA so I can maybe work it into my visit to my kids and grand kids?

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, my first rye was Old Overholt's and I liked it. Tried Beam's Rye, and it was good. I will try the Templetons...

A friend told me Rye was an unusual whiskey, and one needed to taste it daily to make sure it wasn't going bad, and it one got the idea it was, he needed to drink it all before it did. :)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Old Overcoat is better as a mixer, Jim Beam's Rye is just about undrinkable :( .

I haven't had a chance to get a bottle of Templetons, though I do hear it's pretty nice, I'd snag one of the Sazerac Ryes if they have distribution in your area, the six year old Sazerac Rye is pretty good, and quite affordable.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Absinthe.... Thanks for the info. I can drink the Jim Beam Rye, but most of it was used to clean my pipes :) (Smoking pipes mind you).. I'll look for the Sazerac.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Soon I plan to try a bottle of High West Distillery's Rendezvous Rye. High West is a craft distillery right here in Park City, Utah. This Rye is actually a blend of two different straight ryes that they get from somewhere back east. Their own whiskey is still aging, so it will be a while yet before they can offer it. The darn bottle is $40, though, so I have to save up for it. I have trouble justifying spending $40 for a bottle of something that I go through so quickly. Same trouble I have with Scotch. lol

It's nice that Utah now has a craft distiller in operation, and nicer still that the state liquor stores decided to carry it -- it would be a shame to have a local distiller that couldn't sell their own products in Utah.

Brad

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think on another earlier thread I mentioned Templeton Rye, I see Scotrace has already been mentioned it in this thread, which I just discovered.

I like Templeton Rye, it costs over $30 a bottle, but it's good and worth it. Most whiskey is a bit too sweet for me, don't like sweet drinks. This stuff is not sweet. It is the only rye I have tried so maybe most ryes are like that;I should try a different rye but there are not a lot of brands of rye in the stores here.

It has a unique history, having been a bootleg whiskey made in Templeton, Iowa, during prohibition. They hid some of it in hollowed-out tombstones in graveyards, which was not mentioned on the website, but an article appeared in the papers here when they revived it a couple of years back. It is being made again with the original bootleg recipe.

The last I looked at their site, they did not sell it outside the state of Iowa, but I thought I recalled seeing somewhere on the site that you could order it to be shipped. Or is that legal from state to state?

Maybe someone could buy a franchise for it in another part of the country or another state.

karol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
I get the Rittenhouse 100 proof Bottled in Bond for $12.95
Wow, that's a great price for a great whiskey.
Where are you finding that?

I have yet to find Sazerac here in the bay area.
What I keep hearing is that they require anyone
who wants to sell their rye to carry their product
line, and the rest of the products aren't as good.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:

That's what the Utah State Liquor stores used to sell it for. Much to my chagrin, they discontinued it in favor of the Sazerac. Now, the Sazerac is good but twice as expensive. Sadly, I've had to cut back my frequency of drinking Rye.:(

When I found out they were clearancing it for $6.95 a bottle, I called around to get as many as I could, but they were all gone.

That's a shame about the Sazerac in your area. I guess the state of Utah made them a good deal, as I don't think they carry anything else in their line.

Brad

univibe88

One Too Many
feltfan said:

I have yet to find Sazerac here in the bay area.
What I keep hearing is that they require anyone
who wants to sell their rye to carry their product
line, and the rest of the products aren't as good.

Bevmo carries it.

feltfan

univibe88 said:
Bevmo carries it.
Not in Oakland.
They aren't too good at keeping
Rittenhouse 100 in stock, either.

They did have Eagle Rare bourbon on sale
for quite a while, though, so I forgive them.

Overall, I have to say Bevmo is a big disappointment.
Where are those economy of scale prices?

feltfan

Brad Bowers said:
That's what the Utah State Liquor stores used to sell it for. Much to my chagrin, they discontinued it in favor of the Sazerac. Now, the Sazerac is good but twice as expensive. Sadly, I've had to cut back my frequency of drinking Rye.:(
I shoulda known Utah would be the place
to go for rye.

Here's my favorite rye drinker (note the bottle),
Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman:

boswell_fleming.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
feltfan said:
Not in Oakland.
They aren't too good at keeping
Rittenhouse 100 in stock, either.

They did have Eagle Rare bourbon on sale
for quite a while, though, so I forgive them.

Overall, I have to say Bevmo is a big disappointment.
Where are those economy of scale prices?

If you go to the website you can change the location and they'll tell you if they have it in stock at each location. They have it in Pleasanton.

I haven't lived in Calif since '04 but I was always a big fan of Bevmo. There are a lot regulations and taxes when it comes to hooch - there is only so much wiggle room.

feltfan

univibe88 said:
If you go to the website you can change the location and they'll tell you if they have it in stock at each location. They have it in Pleasanton.

I haven't lived in Calif since '04 but I was always a big fan of Bevmo. There are a lot regulations and taxes when it comes to hooch - there is only so much wiggle room.

:eusa_doh: I just spent the day in Pleasanton
and NOW I read this! Will follow up soon. Thanks!

univibe88

One Too Many
bevmo.com says 2 are available in Oakland. Put in an order on the website and mark it for will call. They'll have it waiting for you to pick up.

Just to make sure, we are talking about the 6 year old Saz - the regular so-called "Baby Saz" not the Saz 18 from the Antique Collection.

feltfan

Got lost trying to find the Bevmo in Pleasanton.
That would have something to do with not having
a map or an address, but just a vague memory of the
location.

But all's well that ends well. I visited K&L in Redwood
City on Saturday and got my paws on two bottles of
Sazerac Rye. Tasty. And their prices are less than
Bevmo for everything I looked at. Wish there had been
some bottles of Rittenhouse 100 on the shelf- the price
was about $19 a bottle, which is good if you're not in
Utah...

univibe88

One Too Many
I am glad you got some Saz.

For future reference, it is the Hopyard exit off of 680. It's next to the In-n-out you can see from the interstate.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Wish there had been
some bottles of Rittenhouse 100 on the shelf- the price
was about $19 a bottle, which is good if you're not in
Utah...

Even better, since the state doesn't carry it here anymore!

Ah, but if things go well, in a month I will once again be living in the land of the liquor stores, and will be a happy camper. Or is that happy drunkard?lol

Glad you enjoy the Sazerac, Feltfan.

Brad

feltfan

I had that vague idea, UV88, but I was pressed for time.
Always good to get straightened out by someone on the
other side of the country!

Speaking of which, to which liquor stores will you be
moving, Brad? Keep us posted if it happens.

But to get back to Sazerac Rye, who is using it to make
Manhattans? Which vermouth do you pair with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk