Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

univibe88

One Too Many
Akubra Man said:
My preference is Gibson 12 year old blended Rye Whiskey. I have not tried a single cask Rye whiskey so my pallet is uneducated.

My guess is that is a Canadian rye whiskey. It's a completely different animal than American straight rye whiskey.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
While back in Missouri this month, I picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye that I came across. I've been anxious to try it, but a bout with allergies while back there has left me sick, so I want to wait until I can actually taste and enjoy it.

This small-batch Rye is supposed to be quite smooth, which seems oxymoronic for a Rye! We'll see.

Good to hear the Rittenhouse is available again. I need to make a Rye Run to the Springs to get several bottles!

Brad

Retrobeme

New in Town
Friday night I found a nice surprise when I arrived home from work. My Rittenhouse order arrived. Well of course I had to make a Manhattan. All the accolades that Brad and others have given Rittenhouse, I found to be correct. It made the best drink! Thank you for turning me onto this whiskey, it is now my whiskey of choice to make my Manhattans.:eusa_clap

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Russell's Reserve Rye Review

Finally got around to reviewing the Russell’s Reserve Rye.

Russell's Reserve is a handcrafted, small-batch Rye whiskey from Wild Turkey.

Russell’s Reserve is definitely smoother than most Ryes. It’s aged six years, so that probably has a lot to do with it. It’s certainly not as “In your face” as something like Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, which is only aged two years. It's also not quite as full-bodied as Rittenhouse, but that's neither here nor there, I think.

Russell’s still has the grassy notes of Rye, so there’s no mistaking it for anything else.

Some Ryes can have banana-like notes, but I can’t really detect any here. If anything, it has more of a mango hint, or maybe citrus, at a stretch. In the middle, you also get a sense of mineral spirits, which many Ryes also provide. On the back end, it also has the characteristic spiciness of Rye, but instead of a strong, peppery flavor, it’s more subtle, with hints of anise, clove, and cinnamon. These are the notes than linger on your tongue long after your sip, and that's a compliment.

It’s a pretty decent Rye, all things considered, and I recommend it as a starter Rye for those who have yet to dabble in America’s first whiskey.

On another note, I have now restocked my bar with Rittenhouse!:eusa_clap It was a joyous day to hear it was available again. I am now set for the winter, as far as Rye goes. Need some more single-malt Scotch, though.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Finally got around to reviewing the Russell’s Reserve Rye.

Russell's Reserve is a handcrafted, small-batch Rye whiskey from Wild Turkey.

Russell’s Reserve is definitely smoother than most Ryes. It’s aged six years, so that probably has a lot to do with it. It’s certainly not as “In your face” as something like Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, which is only aged two years. It's also not quite as full-bodied as Rittenhouse, but that's neither here nor there, I think.

Russell’s still has the grassy notes of Rye, so there’s no mistaking it for anything else.

Some Ryes can have banana-like notes, but I can’t really detect any here. If anything, it has more of a mango hint, or maybe citrus, at a stretch. In the middle, you also get a sense of mineral spirits, which many Ryes also provide. On the back end, it also has the characteristic spiciness of Rye, but instead of a strong, peppery flavor, it’s more subtle, with hints of anise, clove, and cinnamon. These are the notes than linger on your tongue long after your sip, and that's a compliment.

It’s a pretty decent Rye, all things considered, and I recommend it as a starter Rye for those who have yet to dabble in America’s first whiskey.

On another note, I have now restocked my bar with Rittenhouse!:eusa_clap It was a joyous day to hear it was available again. I am now set for the winter, as far as Rye goes. Need some more single-malt Scotch, though.

Brad

Everyone needs a single malt scotch. :D ;)
Interesting review. I'll have to see if I can find it here.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Retrobeme said:
Feltfan-
When buying my bottle of Sazerac, I also bought some new Vermouth. I was suggested to try Punt E Mes from a friend. When buying the whiskey at TotalWine I found the last bottle of the vermouth, so I thought it was kind of fate. They go quite well together and I am in fact enjoying a Sazerac/Punt E Mes Manhattan as I write. If you try this combo, please let me know your thoughts.
I have been enjoying Sazerac and Punt E Mes manhattans (with orange
bitters) for a while now. Thanks for the suggestion. An excellent
vermouth. Now I'm out of Sazerac, but happily have restocked
on Rittenhouse 100 (with a bit of Buffalo Trace bourbon bridging
the gap). Life is good. Thanks for the recommendation.

funneman

Practically Family
I have now read every post in this thread
and I am dying to try my first bottle of Rye.

The first time I asked a waitress if the Bartender
had Rye she looked at me with a blank stare and
said "..is that some kind of drink?" lol

I have been enlisted by several folks in the office to
smuggle a bottle into this year's (dry) holiday festivities
at the office. I can't decide if I should bring a
single malt scotch or rye.

I have a few questions.

-Mr. Powers, you've mentioned Mineral Spirits in more than one post when
describing Rye. Is this chemical used in the distilling process for Rye?

-In everyone's humble opinion, which brand of Rye is best when enjoyed neat?

-Macallan single malt Scotch seems to be the closest to my budget.
Is this an acceptable brand to serve neat?

Thanks in advance.

Retrobeme

New in Town
Feltfan-
I'm glad you liked the suggestions. I will definitely need to try the Buffalo Trace sometime and over the holidays I will need to look for a different type of bitters. In the meantime, I have been enjoying my Rittenhouse Manhattans.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
funneman said:
I have a few questions.

No, absolutely not.

If cash is no object, the the 18 yr old Sazerac Rye is very nice, though you can do the same with the much cheaper 6 yr old Sazerac Rye.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Russels Reserver Rye fan

Another vote for Russel's Reserve Rye. I also agree it would be a good choice to cut your teeth on, but it is still my favorite one at the moment. Its a has a smoother flavor than most. Rit is also grand.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here in Oregon, we have the OLCC, a "control commission" that oversees alcohol sales and, unfortunately, selection. A very basic but drinkable rye, I've found, is Old Overholt. Probably swill by some folks' standards, but until a comparison crosses my lips, it's okay.

funneman said:

-Macallan single malt Scotch seems to be the closest to my budget.
Is this an acceptable brand to serve neat?

Thanks in advance.

I have? It is not used in the distilling process--honestly. Although some swill certainly tastes like it. ;)
Macallan is fine to serve neat---especially to me. :D Then again, I am not that choosy. McClelland's offerings would be fine with me as well if price were an object. In fact, I do serve it neat to myself. ;)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Russell's Reserve Rye I wouldn't necessarily call swill, but it has a hint of mineral spirits to it. I just finished off my bottle tonight, and I've decided it's not half bad. I'll stick to Rittenhouse or Sazerac, though.

Brad

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
I have? It is not used in the distilling process--honestly. Although some swill certainly tastes like it. ;)
Macallan is fine to serve neat---especially to me. :D Then again, I am not that choosy. McClelland's offerings would be fine with me as well if price were an object. In fact, I do serve it neat to myself. ;)

You sir, are a gentleman and a whisky lover no doubt! Neat is the only way and neat/warm is the best. Depending n the source, McClelland's is quite acceptable.

Feltfan, as for the Buffalo Trace,:( I'd go with Old Granddad; a superlative high rye bourbon with a good bite.

Mr. Paladin said:
You sir, are a gentleman and a whisky lover no doubt!

I don't know about gentleman I do like whisky and scotch.:D

Mr. Paladin said:
Feltfan, as for the Buffalo Trace,:( I'd go with Old Granddad; a superlative high rye bourbon with a good bite.

I'll agree with that. It may not be swill but I just can't quite get my tastebuds around Trace. Maybe it is the trace of buffalo that turns me off. ;) :p

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Manhattans: Rye or Maker's Mark

MK said:
I have been drinking Mahattans lately. The original recipe calls for rye. Most bars make it with bourbon these days. I have had them with rye in the past but usually make them with Maker's Mark at home. I will have to give rye another shot.....pun intended.:D

I was pleased to see this post, MK. For the longest time I couldn't find rye...and never at bars. I've always used Maker's Mark, and it makes a fine Manhattan...my preferred drink. But I've gotten into some heated exchanges with bartenders/waiters on a couple of occasions--the last in New Orleans--who have insisted that a Manhattan should only be mixed with Canadian Club (as a rye substitute).

I've discovered Wild Turkey 101 proof rye at the local chain liquor outlet (BevMo) and it makes a powerful, mean drink. But I tend to prefer the Maker's Mark.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points