Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone know what this is, or was used for???

Blackjack

One Too Many
DSCF1399.jpg

Blackjack

One Too Many
Ok, if it was an issued item, I didn't know. I know her dad worked in the Office of Strategic Service (?) during the war. I thought it might be something unusual, but ok it's not-

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Okaay, If they predated the CIA then it is a covert ops weapon most likely. I would imagine this might be quite collectible then!!!

They were used by the Commandos and other special units in the Second World War to kill sentries silently. Quieter than knives and neck chops because once it was around the neck it was impossible for the victim to call out. SOE used them in occupied Europe as well in covert and sabotage missions. The wartime expression used by the British at least for killing a sentry like that was to “give them the gate.” Pearly gates.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Okaay, If they predated the CIA then it is a covert ops weapon most likely. I would imagine this might be quite collectible then!!!

Not really, ropes are common. And a bicycle chain wrapped with electric tape was more favored in Vietnam.
See if he has a WWII Sykes Fairbairn knife, which is an exceptionally crafted weapon.

Not really, ropes are common. And a bicycle chain wrapped with electric tape was more favored in Vietnam.
See if he has a WWII Sykes Fairbairn knife, which is an exceptionally crafted weapon.
Just found an example online for 350- I'd say that's collectible. Found two Sykes knives last year, all depends on the model and maker, can run from a couple hundred to thousands and condition makes or breaks that. Can't say for sure you'll get 350- for your piece but I've only seen one in the wild found by a friend of mine in 30 years but have purchased at least half a dozen Sykes knives over those years and passed on twice that.

RJR

Blackjack,my father is long gone and never said much.I just remember overhearing he and several cronies talking about some of their people using them.No idea if they were issued or simply made by the men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112