Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

Edward

Bartender
Slightly rattled at the weekend by a (n older) friend who was very obviously shocked at my age, as she had assumed me to be much older. She wouldn't say exactly what age, so I'm assuming it really must have been bad. Normally I wouldn't care, but women are usually fairly perceptive like that. Another female friend (who is sorta vintage, she's into the rockabilly thing) suggested that it's because "unless you go rockabilly" men's vintage clothing "will always make you look older". (Yet another female friend has in the past put the occasional person thinking I'm much oler own to an assumption brought on by my lack of hair rather than anything else). Is there anything in this, though? I mean, my mother has long given off about me dressing "like an old man", but I'm inclined to treating her opinion on the matter with the contempt it so richly deserves....

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Anyone dressed well generally appears more mature and classier, which can get translated as older.
Although conversely, an adult male wearing oversized, shapeless, sloppy, shirts and jeans (or massive 'shorts' with wide legs that make the lower half of his calves appear like strings dangling down) doesn't necessarily look 'younger', despite certainly managing to avoid any semblance of maturity and class.

*And because I've read admonishments here about being judgmental, let me assure you I'm not judging; just sharing my impression. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My mom is an actual vintage person - we have pix of a pretend fashion show she put on in 1949 - but is now thoroughly New York professional chic. I showed her pix of one of our highly stylish Loungers - a woman in her 40s - and her first comment was, "She looks awfully old for her age." She wouldn't elaborate.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My personal observations (which only apply to the UK) are that a fedora does not make you look old unless you are a teenager in which case it adds a few years on to your age. This is because elderly people do not usually wear fedoras here but usually wear flat caps. Flat caps make people look old here as many elderly people wear them.

As for suits, I don't think these make people look old either as suits are mostly worn by businessmen in their 20s-50s but rarely by anyone older than that. The sort of clothes which IMO make you look old are tweed clothes and unwashed shirts with the top button done up but not tie as this is what I see a lot of old people wearing.

As for outerwear, I see a lot of elderly people in trench coats and practically no younger people in them so I suppose they do make you look old although that won't stop me wearing them. I think greatcoats, peacoasts and leather jackets do not make you look old as I hardly ever see old people in them.

Of course it's possible that my observations only apply to where I live and not to anywhere else, but the clothes I wear do not make me look old IMO (contrary to what people trying to annoy me say) as elderly people on the whole do not wear classy suits and hats (assuming my two hats and few suits, blazers and leather jacket are classy of course which is subjective).

And finally, don't listen to parents if they don't like your dress sense as they will inevitably criticise it. If you are lucky as I am to have a father who more or less approves of what I wear then do listen as my father often corrects me if I am about to go out of the house in a bad shirt-suit combination.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think a 50s look often makes women and girls look older. Maybe short 50s hairdos remind me of the menopausal helmet.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten mixed views on this - When I dress more Rockabilly/pin-up, people assume more or less my actual age. However, if I dress more traditional 40's-50's, Lucille Ball style, it tacks on at least 5 years, like Paisley mentions.

Which probably ties in with dressing in age-appropriate vintage - that is to say, do you dress as people your age really would have back then? Or younger, or older?

Guessing a person's age by physical looks, we tend to look for wrinkles or creasing on the face such as crows feet and laugh lines. Whether or not a person is begining to grey or gone grey in their hair. Hair from nose and ears in men and some men get wild hairs in their eyebrows at a certain range of age.

Clothes especially dressing vintage may push someones age because the styles are associated with older people. There is a phenomenone where a lot of people get stuck in time, and their hair styles or eyeglasses or clothing don't change as time does and we begin to associate that stuck in time appearence with older people. When I lived in San Gabriel I would see a guy that was older retirement age that had an Elvis vibe as to hair and sunglasses and even some clothes. It seemed like a stuck in time thing, teen / young adult style held for 45 years.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Charlie Brown!

From now on instead of saying male grown-ups dress like toddlers, I'm stealing LizzieMaine's phrase!
Isn't there a thread or posts about how elderly gentlemen say some of the female loungers remind them of their late wife or sweetheart? That seems a nice sentiment, even if it means they look older. I hate when older people try to dress from the teen department. Heck, I hate when younger people try to dress from the teen department.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Clothes especially dressing vintage may push someones age because the styles are associated with older people. There is a phenomenone where a lot of people get stuck in time, and their hair styles or eyeglasses or clothing don't change as time does and we begin to associate that stuck in time appearence with older people. When I lived in San Gabriel I would see a guy that was older retirement age that had an Elvis vibe as to hair and sunglasses and even some clothes. It seemed like a stuck in time thing, teen / young adult style held for 45 years.

Ya beat me to it. :) There are some vintage styles - particularly certain prints - that I (as a 20-something) do not intend to wear because they'd probably give off the vibe of hand-me-downs from the '80s-'90s. I feel I tend to look extra young in such clothes - like I never developed my own fashion sense. Were I twenty years older, I fear the effect would be that I'd simply never handed down the clothes in the first place.

Good menswear, however, is fairly timeless. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I went to Guitar Center in Hollywood and the last time I was there 20 years ago it was filled with teens to thirty somethings all dressed as either rock stars or the rock t-shirt and jeans.

This time the place was filled with 40 to 60 somethings in rock t-shirts and jeans. I felt like they had never left GC.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
I went to Guitar Center in Hollywood and the last time I was there 20 years ago it was filled with teens to thirty somethings all dressed as either rock stars or the rock t-shirt and jeans.

This time the place was filled with 40 to 60 somethings in rock t-shirts and jeans. I felt like they had never left GC.

lol lol lol :eusa_clap

Being my age - I am getting younger (so people tell me), when I wear a vintage (Irvin) leatherjacket.
Or some "strange" BD jacket. (That's even refered to as "cool")

Not that I really care about it. I am what I am.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sartorial acuity does not equate with looking older. People's perceptions, preconceived notions or biases create the image..then (as if by magic) nonsense is spewed from their mouths. [huh]

On the other hand If I wear raggy looking clothes vintage or otherwise and do not polish my shoes then I would expect that I may hear that I may look older or some other similar comment.

If I act in a curmudgeonly manner and dress vintage then I deserve every reference to appearing older. ;)

High Pockets

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
In an era when grown men are encouraged to walk the streets dressed like Charlie Brown, vintagewear couldn't help but to make them look older. Or at least one would hope so.

:eusa_clap Charlie Brown!! :eusa_clap

:D I can't wait for the next "Indy" or "Capone" remark!

I know I look older in nice clothes and a hat,......but at the ripe old age of 55 I don't mind at all!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I don't think a vintage style of dress makes on look older per say, but I do think, depending on the clothing choices, one can definitely appear more mature.

This all assumes that one understands/recognizes there is a difference between maturity and age, which is not always the case.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It depends. A middle-aged man in casual, contemporary clothes might look like Charlie Brown (good one!), but even a young guy in a 20s suit and hat might end up looking like the Monopoly man. Not all vintage clothing looks distinguished on all people.

Not that looking older is necessarily a bad thing. It helps a very young person to be taken more seriously. It might also suit the person better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21