Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does washing/soaking leather jackets substantially harm them or weaken the leather?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
It doesn't actually put wear on the jacket - that only comes from real life. But it does soften the leather, take some shine away and make it look more grainy. It just stops it looking like vinyl. So it only helps me enjoy the jacket more...

I put my G&B Indy through the washing machine - front loaders only as they are less wearing and don't have an agitator which can rip lining, etc. And it looks great. Sheen has gone, leather is softer and it looks slightly worn in. Still looks new but not vinyl new.

But I realise it's not for everyone.

Oh, ok. I thought that people did this to make the jackets look aged, "vintage", and broken in without doing the work themselves. I guess I got confused.

jac

Familiar Face
I never thought of breaking in a fqhh as 'work', but I realize these aren't for everyone.

If horsehide is too demanding, you can save yourself several hundreds of dollars by getting something from the mall or even a nice soft sweater from grandma.

Most old folks would be very grateful for the extra bucks in today's economy and you'd be supporting local artisans!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
jac said:
I never thought of breaking in a fqhh as 'work', but I realize these aren't for everyone.

If horsehide is too demanding, you can save yourself several hundreds of dollars by getting something from the mall or even a nice soft sweater from grandma.

Most old folks would be very grateful for the extra bucks in today's economy and you'd be supporting local artisans!

"demanding", "soft sweater from grandma"... Poor yourself a drink, son. Sounds like you need cheering up.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seb Lucas said:
"demanding", "soft sweater from grandma"... Poor yourself a drink, son. Sounds like you need cheering up.

Are you sure Jac wasn't just having a bit of fun? I think he was joking!lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Are you sure Jac wasn't just having a bit of fun? I think he was joking!lol
I thought he was joking too. And so was I.lol Mind you, from the start of this thread Jac seemed a little truculent (in a fun way). Maybe he's bought one too many bad mall jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
From all I've read (on this and other jacket sites), washing leather jackets is a standard procedure for breaking in but not distressing. But I'm sure there must be some cases where it has gone wrong. I have now washed 5 jackets and they have all come out better than they looked before. Sorry, no pics. I guess those who are upset by washing jackets just shouldn't do it as I'm sure they won't.

celtic

A-List Customer
If you're wearing it for protection on a motorcycle, I'd advise against it because leather loses its abrasian resistance and becomes dry after soaking and drying multiple times. Of course if you condition it every time it gets soaked through, you'll obviously remedy this mostly.

However, if your coat is simply for fashion rather than protection from a crash, I wouldn't worry about it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
celtic said:
If you're wearing it for protection on a motorcycle, I'd advise against it because leather loses its abrasian resistance and becomes dry after soaking and drying multiple times. Of course if you condition it every time it gets soaked through, you'll obviously remedy this mostly.

However, if your coat is simply for fashion rather than protection from a crash, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would only ever wash a jacket once, so I don't think it would screw with the abrasion qualities. I have never ridden a bike...

NABodie

New in Town
So then if washing a leather jacket does it no harm, soaking a dry jacket should also do no harm as long as it is air dried and conditioned afterwards? Correct?

I just received a G1 from 1970 that the leather is dry as a bone. I have sprayed it down with Lexol and while the outside is much better if I pinch a section I can tell the leather under the liner is still very dry. Would it harm anything to soak it to re-hydrate the leather and then condition it?

Last edited:

armscye

One of the Regulars
I don't have the hypothetical or hearsay knowledge of the usual experts here. But I have washed 30 jackets, and documented the process on this Board with dozens of illustrations. These have included pieces ranging from mall pigskin to Vanson 4 oz horsehide. Ruined thus far: None, as in zero.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
There are a bunch of "leather jacket washing" threads on the Lounge, so I figure this one is as good as any to ask my question.

I bought a used leather jacket and would like to clean it. I'm sure many would say to send it to the local leather cleaners. First, I don't know of any leather specialty cleaners in my area. Second, I have had several non-leather jackets cleaned over the years by the "professionals", and 100% of the time they have either shrunk the jackets, or they have been returned with stitching pulling out or other damage. I am done with the "professionals".

All I want to do is clean the jacket, not shrink it. If I use cold water on a gentle cycle in a front-loading washer (no central agitator), and only air-dry the jacket afterwards, should I have basically zero shrinkage? I wasn't planning on using any detergent, but I have plenty of the "free"-type of detergents (my son has a skin allergy to any fragrances or heavy chemicals in most detergents). If I should use some, I have no problem doing so.

So have any of you washed a leather jacket just to clean it and not alter the size? Were you successful in your endeavor?

Andy B.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
THAT was the thread I was trying to find again!
Thanks, armscye!
I think I'll pick up some of that Woolite and have a go at it.

Andy B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana