Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does washing/soaking leather jackets substantially harm them or weaken the leather?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have washed my FS A-2 several times..no harm no foul....it wouldnt shrink even washing it and leaving it in the hot summer sun for a week....but I wont even go out in heavy rain in my ELC warhorse...afraid it will run like the horse it was made out of, I had to redye several areas after getting water on it...
my point? guess it all depends on the hide and how it was finished...good luck

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Well, I just tossed an old Schott cafe racer in brown cowhide into a cold-water wash with some Woolite. I believe it is a 141 from around the late 1980s. We'll see what happens. Man, I hope it doesn't shrink. The sizing is pretty d@mn good as it is. I just want to clean it.

Andy B.

Peacoat

Bartender
Let us know, Andy. I am interested in what happens. I have a Schott Cafe Racer in naked cowhide that got a little wet in the rain once. The sleeves shrank almost an inch. Sleeves were a good length before. Now, getting a little short. I think it may have been the naked part of the cowhide. With no finish to repel the rain, it soaked in more than it would have with a finish on the hide. At least that is my theory.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
washing success: zero shrinkage!

I know, you guys think I didn't reply back because I ruined the jacket. :D

I used the gentle cycle, and the gentle spin, so the jacket did come out fairly damp, but with no apparent damage. It felt like cold wet leather.

Then I tossed it into the dryer with a bedspread that was already dry, and the towels and other items that were in the wash with the jacket. I put it on the lowest heat setting and pulled the jacket out after about 15 minutes. All I wanted to do was warm it up a little to help the water start evaporating. The jacket came out a little above room temperature, but definitely not hot.

Next I wore it around the house for about 1/2 hour. I had on a t-shirt that started to get a little damp, plus it was then time for bed, so I wrapped a dry towel around one of those hangers with the wide shoulders to make extra sure the shoulders didn't get deformed, and to help dry the lining, and hung the jacket in a doorway near my kitchen so it would get a little airflow from a ceiling fan I had running. I pulled a little along the waist to make sure the leather was flat, and also pulled it tight across the chest and back, and then pulled the sleeves straight. I wanted to be sure to try and eliminate as much as possible any chance of the jacket shrinking.

I went to bed thinking I would need to throw the jacket in the dryer for a few minutes in the morning to help with the drying, but when I checked it as I was getting ready for work the leather was about dry, and the lining was almost completely dry.

I figured what the heck and wore the jacket to work. I could feel the jacket was a little stiffer after drying, which I was expecting, but it wasn't like it was as dry and stiff as cardboard, it just felt like it needed to be broken in a little again. By the time I got back home after work the jacket was dry The next thing I did was give the entire jacket a coat of Obenauf's LP. I use Obenauf's on all of my leather items; shoes, boots, jackets, gloves, belts, chair seats, etc. I have tried many other leather products in the past, and Obenauf's seems to have the best results.

I worked the Obenauf's in by hand with my fingers, so the warmth from your hands melts it a little and helps it soak in. Then I let it soak in overnight, and this morning I lightly buffed the jacket with an old t-shirt, and wore it to work again. Now the jacket is almost as soft as broken-in elkhide, and has a rich brown color.

One warning about Obenauf's is that it WILL darken leather. As the Obenauf's continues to soak in and dry a little, the leather will usually lighten back up to its original color, but it will sometimes take a few months. If you have a light or medium-colored leather item and would be royally peeved if it darkened a shade, I might avoid Obenauf's. The leather usually lightens back up over time, but I don't want anyone complaining to me if after six months your light tan leather jacket is still medium brown.

As far as I can tell, all the cold water washing did was clean the jacket. I can't see any negatives, and I am proud to say there was zero shrinkage! Would I toss a brand new $700 jacket in the washer to break it in faster? No, I'd be scared. :eek: Besides, after looking at this 25-year-old jacket, I don't see how washing a new one would get you any closer to that lovely old patina than just wearing the jacket for 25 years.

So, now for the downside. I was in such a rush to see what happens when washing a leather jacket, that I forgot to take a before pic when the jacket first arrived at my house. When I was applying the Obenauf's I started at the left side by the zipper and worked my way around the jacket to the right side. My hands were covered in Obenauf's and I didn't grab a photo to show the difference between the treated side and untreated side. Oh well. Anyway, here is what the jacket looks like now:

jacket_back.jpg

jacket_front.jpg

I am very happy with it.

Andy B.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Honestly, the jacket was in great condition. About the only difference was the before pics the leather might have been a little duller. In fact, my wife HATES the thought of wearing used clothes or jackets. I let her try the jacket on and it fit her well (yes, I know this was a mistake). I told her I was going to try washing it and she said I was dumb to ruin such a nice jacket and she would wear it as-is. There were no smells or stains, it was just the thought of it being 25 years old and probably never cleaned. So you're really not missing anything in the before photo. The half-oiled pic is the one I should have taken. Oh well. If I wash another one I will be sure to document the process because I don't have any worries now about it working.

Andy B.

winterland1

Practically Family
Honestly, the jacket was in great condition. About the only difference was the before pics the leather might have been a little duller. In fact, my wife HATES the thought of wearing used clothes or jackets. I let her try the jacket on and it fit her well (yes, I know this was a mistake). I told her I was going to try washing it and she said I was dumb to ruin such a nice jacket and she would wear it as-is. There were no smells or stains, it was just the thought of it being 25 years old and probably never cleaned. So you're really not missing anything in the before photo. The half-oiled pic is the one I should have taken. Oh well. If I wash another one I will be sure to document the process because I don't have any worries now about it working.

Andy B.

Thanks for posting your experience.
What kind of soap did you use? Warm or cold water?

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting your experience.
What kind of soap did you use? Warm or cold water?

I used Woolite Dark. I have the normal Woolite already, but the Dark stuff stated it would keep dark colored clothes looking dark. I have no idea if the regular Woolite has any sort of bleaching chemical (it states it does not contain bleach), but I figured a dark brown jacket should be safe with the Woolite Dark. I used cold water for the entire washing process and the gentle cycle on gentle spin.

I used a little less detergent than recommended. But then again, I generally use less detergent than the label recommends because our front-loading washing machine seems to get things really clean, and we have a septic system so I try to use as little chemicals as possible for anything, not just washing clothes.

Andy B.

andyfalzon

Vendor
There is no definite answer to this question as it depends on the tanning process of the leather. Tanners have methods to make leathers sustain washing but they do not apply them unless the customer asks. Leathers suitable for garments have been treated accordingly so to "survive" a rain but that's just about it.

Golden

Familiar Face
Sorry to necro, but....

I have an Irvin repro that is about 10yrs old.
I'm going to treat it with leather honey or pecards.
I'm also going to do a hot soak to try and shrink the fleece and lighten the fleece color, but was wondering which should happen first.
I think the conditioner first to help maybe lessen the possible leather shrinkage.

Any thoughts?

-GB

Drax

New in Town
I'm sorry, I've not read through the whole thread.

All I can say is -Why don't you just WEAR them!!??

Abuse them!!!

Stop leaving them in your wardrobe & talking about them on a forum!

Wear the bloody things!!!:)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Abuse them!!!

Undoubtably +1 :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Abuse them!!!

Because washing them makes them look and feel better in one day.

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, this resurrected thread encouraged me to 'wash' my aero half belt this afternoon.
Have to say that there is a little extra colour loss on the edges around the collar, but nothing too worrisome. Other than that, all is very good indeed.
It even seems to have shaped better after wearing it for a couple of hours afterwards.
Oh & the smell is lovely......

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to necro, but....

I have an Irvin repro that is about 10yrs old.
I'm going to treat it with leather honey or pecards.
I'm also going to do a hot soak to try and shrink the fleece and lighten the fleece color, but was wondering which should happen first.
I think the conditioner first to help maybe lessen the possible leather shrinkage.

Any thoughts?

-GB

"wash it" or soak it in hot water first. Let it hang and dry - not near heating - and THEN apply Peckards. In a thin layer. Use your fingers to rub it in. And dry off whats left after some time with a cloth. That should do it. And then - as they say - wear it like you hate it!

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
Perhaps I am a little odd but I like the new shiny look and enjoy wearing it and watching it develop at its own pace. Its the reason I buy them. If I wanted a faded, stone wash look then i'd go to the high street (Mall). Sorry just don't get all this washing it business.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The old Aero Irvin shearling was very teddy bearish and kind of stiff, so I can understand why Soren did it - it certainly looks better for the 'abuse'. Has it changed the way it 'handles' much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112