Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving Cap construction question

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hey folks,
I don't hang out much in the hat room, as I am not really into fedoras. I own however, a few driving caps, and I have a question about the construction of one I bought in Palermo, Sicily, about a year and a half ago (technically, it's a "coppola" hat).
I bought it in a little family-run store, in the backside of which the caps were also hand-made by the old wife. When trying them on for size, we found that size 58 was a little tight, while 59 was too lose. What the husband did then, much to my surprise, was place the size 58 cap around his bent knee, and give it a little tug. This way he said, the cardboard strip inside the band would snap, and the hat would fit a little wider (and it did indeed fit).
My question is, is it normal for driving caps to have cardboard inside the band? I should also note that these caps, while authentic, were a bit on the cheap side.
Many thanks in advance for the replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21