Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Pictures from the drive to Pebble Beach last week. The Buick ran with needles right down the middle, even climbing the big Gaviota Pass and Santa Rosa grade, and I'm very proud of it. 353 miles each way, average speed of about 38 mph with stops, 16 mpg average. Mostly two-lanes but there were some runs along 101 which are unavoidable.

Most people were very considerate. Some would come up behind and, despite ample opportunity to go around, just follow for miles and miles, almost as if, inspired by the Buick's leisurely pace (about 50-52 mph on the freeway), they were prompted to re-examine their own life and hectic race to the grave. On the two-lanes a number of cars didn't take advantage of clear passing zones to go around. I have no other explanation, except perhaps typical California cluelessness.

Once up on Highway 1 things were much easier as the slow-moving herd of summer RVs and sightseers wasn't going much quicker than 35 mph anyway. I pulled over a few times to let people by but for the most part cruised without being a roadblock. The brakes were strong and steady coming down out of Big Sur and other high points.

So c'mon, old car owners. Stop making excuses and get out there!

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0075s.jpg

DSC_0129s.jpg

DSC_0208s.jpg

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Glad I am not the only one

Wow, Great pics StraightEight! I have a 59 Corvette with drum brakes all the way around. It is a great car to drive but like so many people have pointed out on this thread, you have to think and look ahead to see where you will be applying the breaks. I have people pulling out in front of me all the time. The breaks also have to be adjusted from time to time or one will catch before the others and make this horrible screetching noise when the tire locks-up on the pavement. Since it is a Corvette everyone thinks that it is a "high performance" luxury car, it is not. It doesn't even have power steering and only an air vent for cooling. It does have 300 HP though.;)
This car, like most classic cars, was built for the enjoyment of the drive. Not to talk on your cell phone, watch a movie on a built in DVD player or eat your lunch while you are driving. That is why there is no built in cup holders.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Someone in the local paper is selling a '57 Rambler Cross Country wagon for $1500. Runs. In good shape. Needs cosmetic restoration.

I'm sorely tempted to buy it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I am totally in love with the 41 Buick fastbacks, with the 42 - 48 fastbacks a very very close second. What wonderful pics! Thanks for sharing.
You may have mentioned this before, but do you have the large or the small engine? Would you ever consider adding the dual carb arrangement on a 48 Buick? Just curious.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have a 59 Corvette ... Since it is a Corvette everyone thinks that it is a "high performance" luxury car, it is not. It doesn't even have power steering and only an air vent for cooling. It does have 300 HP though.
This car, like most classic cars, was built for the enjoyment of the drive. Not to talk on your cell phone, watch a movie on a built in DVD player or eat your lunch while you are driving. That is why there is no built in cup holders.
My BF has the same. He's in the process of restroing and has it running this summer. Right now it's working out the glitches that pop up here and there that we notice as we take it out. It's been perfect for hitting the road every other weekend. Sometimes to car shows, sometimes to wander. In fact we took it this weekend to a hoighty toighty Italian car show this weekend and parked in a nearby lot. We had more admirers and photos than some of the new $250,000 dream machines across the way. Kind of made me giggly and proud.

So c'mon, old car owners. Stop making excuses and get out there!

I never knew how much fun rolling down the country roads and highways could be until we got this corvette running. I hope I never have to go back.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Mr.H, thanks for the kind words. The retouched photo is very cool. Do you have to do that manually or is there one button in Photoshop that is just marked "Kodak Duaflex treatment?"

dhermann1, the Buick has the smaller 248cid straight eight, single carb setup. Compound carburetors were offered in '41 and '42 on the series 40 cars but I believe it was dropped after the war.

Since you guys liked those pics, here are a few more snaps from the trip.

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
StraightEight said:
I'll bet those two are having an interesting conversation.
The reason I asked about the carbs, is that I've heard of people getting the 41 manifold and adding the dual carbs to the later straight 8 engines. Apparently it's not a difficult modification, and it gives a good power boost to the car. Looks like you're a purist tho.
I just think those 41 to 48 torpedo profiles are the COOLEST!

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
That's a pretty little Buick. Is she all original?

Mostly. The seat faces were reupholstered but the seat backs and the rest of the interior is original. I've done some refurb work on the engine and I'm installing a brand new exhaust manifold this week!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
StraightEight- while I am without a doubt more of the hot rod school of thought, I'm SOOO glad to hear you have no plans to dump a 350 into your beautiful ride! It hurts my heart a little bit to see an awesome car that someone has crammed a lame ol' crate into...boring! Even a more traditional hot rodder can and will, more times than not, appreciate that a well restored car with an original engine has more personality. Love the car the way it is! Plus, to really have an effective impact on higher highway speeds, you'd really have to change your trannie and gearing anyway.
As far as other drivers having any kind of respect for old cars, since my only old car that can currently be driven is all stock, I find that it often depends on the age of the other drivers. Older folks remember what it was like to drive without power steering/brakes but most younger folks, at least around my area, have no clue and can be just as thoughtless and rude as if you were in a modern car. [huh]

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Driving Vintage

I own a 1938 Packard which is in the SF Bay Area Stored in the East Bay near Oakland. Like the Buick, I can not drive over 50 MPH. Highway one looks lovely, but is a bit far for us Northern Cal types. Any suggestions on scenic drives? Where do you drive your vintage cars?

59Lark

Practically Family
the feel of the machine.

Having driven a 59 studebaker as a summer car, second, now mostly weekend or evening pleasure car, I have come to the conclusion drive one, ie an old car enough, become almost second nature and you can almost compete with the modern world just stay off the major highways and stay away from the 5 oclock nightmare. Having been in a accident with it, and having avoided hitting the car in front only to be hit by a modern car with four wheel disc brakes, his airbag went off and he bent his subframe and the car was written off, my studebaker needed the bumpers hammered out and rechromed $2000. that was it mostly. HE was depending on his power brakes to save him, and he was paying attention and the guy on the honda bike that went under his bumper wasnt either. NOW that i have owned this car for twenty years it almost feels like christine , stephen king, now before you right off this nut. The physco part that kills isnt there just the second nature and the haunting melody and the time warp. She just got a manual choke that my brother made from scratch installed and a new dash pad from studebaker int, in greenfield ind. She goes for the deep sleep on blocks in approx one week. MY Daughter and i washed and waxed her today. Soon time to say so long till end of april.59LARK.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112