Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
:cool:
[video=youtube;1qB0lb401ZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU[/video]
When they drained our largest lake in the city, they found a 1973 Beetle on the bottom. They also found, fifteen guns, 14 pocketknives, 13 watches, and 27 sets of keys. Metal detector people found a lot more. I know my 71 Super Beetle never would have survived a dunk!

RKidd

New in Town
Slamming door thing is bad with my OWN kids..worse than that when we drive our '31 A Ford to town somebody has to walk by and"tap" the fenders..just to "check if they were steel"...

Yep, that's true. My Dodge Ram has to have either a wing window or the rear window open a smidge, or you gotta slam 'em. That's the only one, though, the rest are spacious enough that there's a decent amount of room for the air to move.

It's necessary to slam the doors on many imports -- even my '69 VW, you had to slam the door with full force unless one of the vent windows was open: the car was nearly airtight and interior air pressure wouldn't allow the door to close fully.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Moved from LA to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a year or two. Took the Buick to play with, which made quite the conversation piece at the Canyonlands campground. Taped it up to save it from stone chips and all went well except for a stress crack in the driver's windshield, which I'm pretty sure wasn't original anyway. Replacement is $94, so not a huge loss.

P1030735_zps804ce5c9.jpg

P1030734_zps651a44e7.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
The oldest VW commercial.....

[video=youtube;R6SueeernRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6SueeernRM[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They ran into a delay over the holidays with getting a couple of valve springs -- but they're back on track now. The engine is painted and the internals are all reassembled, and all they're waiting on now is the new manifold, which should be arriving this week. I dunno when I'll be able to drive it again though -- we've got ten inches of snow on the ground, a lot of salt on the road, and I don't have snow tires for it. So hopefully we'll get a melt before spring!

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
The oldest VW commercial.....

[video=youtube;R6SueeernRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6SueeernRM[/video]

Split window vw prices, along with ALL classic vw prices, have exploded in the last 5 years. Lizzie could buy 8 or 9 Dodges for the cost of 1 vw split window with the 3-fold rag. Bassackwards, isn't it? [huh]

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
I've always been a fan of the air-cooled VW, especially the convertibles; like Morgans, they were the least changed thirties automobiles out there. My next around town car will probably be another Beetle convertible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21