Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Here is a nice one I hauled from paint to upholstery. After 10 months of work the top is better than it ever was when it left Karmann.

IMAG1090_zps7b67da34.jpg

IMAG1089_zps30581319.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I paid $500 for mine in 1986, and drove it until it rusted in half. Only car I've ever owned that still shows up in my dreams.
Thats funny! I get asked which of my cars do I miss the most, I have had a few, 65 Mustang High Po, 240z, 69 SS350 Camero, and so on. I don't blink an eye, my 1970 Super Beetle. It would go any where, and the one time I did get stuck in the snow, I pushed my self out!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Happend to me once -- I ran off a road in snowstorm and ended up in a ditch. Put it in neutral, got out and pushed it back up onto the road, and away I went. Only car I've ever owned that always started on below-zero mornings.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We've had some bad weather on and off for the past couple weeks and I haven't had a chance to get the old '48 Plymouth out for a drive. However, today it was nice and sunny and dry, so my little granddaughter and I took the car for a ride. We motored up NC 126 to Paddy's Creek road and over to old 105, then back home. Not a long ride, only about a 15 or so mile round trip, but the scenery was great. I never get tired of looking at the view out the windshield of the old '48.

48PlymouthonPaddysCreekRoad_zps13412b05.jpg

Effingham

A-List Customer
I've earlier mentioned my dad's first car -- an Auburn Boat Tail Speedster.

This is him lounging on his Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 98 in either 1946 or 1947:
dad-car_S.jpg

I fantasize about trying to find one in an identical two-tone green for myself. (All of dad's cars were either dark green or black.)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... This is him lounging on his Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 98 in either 1946 or 1947. I fantasize about trying to find one in an identical two-tone green for myself. (All of dad's cars were either dark green or black.)

That's a great looking car. Don't give up hope, the '48 Plymouth I have is almost identical to the '42 Plymouth that was in my family back in the day. I did find a '42 a year or so ago, but couldn't make the trade.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
I am drooling looking at that v-dub ragtop.

You and I both. Sadly, that car will never see the light of day once its finished. The owner has 7 other fully restored beetles and none of them are ever driven or even trailered to shows. His car, his decision. [huh]

For what its worth, This is a convertible

IMAG1090_zps7b67da34.jpg

and this is a ragtop ;)

1962-vw-beetle-ragtop-075.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
...none of them are ever driven or even trailered to shows.... :eeek:
Then again I really can't say anything. I've driven my streetrod 3x last year, maybe 3x.
Time and money, those rarely come together on the same day!

Rathdown

Practically Family
I think these ads were done by either David Ogilvie or Stan Freeburg and, love 'em or hate 'em, they are remarkably fresh and extremely well written and do what they are supposed to do: convince you to buy a Volkwagen.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The ads were by Doyle Dane Bernbach. They were famous as the "think small" campaign if you want to look it up.

David Ogilvie was better known for his Rolls Royce ads. I remember Stan Freberg for his Chun King Chinese food commercials.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Of all of Freeberg's television ads my favorite was for Sunsweet Pitted Prunes. The tag line was pure genius... "Today the pits, tomorrow the wrinkles. Sunsweet marches on!"

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You know, they can insult me all they want as long as replacing a fender only costs $24.95 plus labor. (Although I reserve the right to hit things. Starting with admen.)
That would be another $24.95. :)
I agree Lizzie, things have changed a lot thankfully.
First, this car is too slow for my wife to drive.
Second, they don't list how much it would cost to replace the hood, after she ran said "admen" down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot