Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drop everything & Watch

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We all have a movie or two that we don't go out of our way to look for on television, but, when we find it no matter what we are doing short of putting out a fire or brain surgery we stop everything & watch the movie. For me, that movie would be Contact with Jodie Foster. It's just such a neat movie that is so rarely on anymore.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

For me, there are a number of movies that fit your criteria. At the moment, I'd have to go with The Big Lebowski. The silly thing is, I have a fairly sizeable DVD/Blu-Ray collection, so I could watch my favorite movies any time I want to. And yet, much of the time I watch them simply because I stumbled across them while channel surfing. :eusa_doh:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For me, it has almost always been The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, any of The Man With No Name movies, or just about any of the James Bond movies. At the time, it depends on how busy I may be, but I would most likely watch one of these films if they are playing. I don't watch TV much, and normally see these during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Have to confess, The Godfather, I and II. And I guess III also.
Several others, mostly Thin Man, and Spencer Tracy, any Jean Harlow, Gable. etc.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
I could sit and watch the entire A Christmas Story marathon beginning to end! It is infectious. I typically just click to it every so often and never fail to hit upon one brilliant scene or another, completely at random!

Sharpsburg

DNO

One Too Many
Great Balls of Fire
Pride of the Yankees
The Man Who Would Be King
Zulu
Legends of the Fall
The Beast
Lawrence of Arabia
Goodbye Mr. Chips (the Robert Donat version)
Les Miserables (the 1935 version with Charles Laughton)
The Duellists
Mississippi Burning

Probably others as well. Good thing most of these don't show up on the tube very often.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The silly thing is, I have a fairly sizeable DVD/Blu-Ray collection, so I could watch my favorite movies any time I want to. And yet, much of the time I watch them simply because I stumbled across them while channel surfing. :eusa_doh:

Yes, this is one of the things about a drop everything & watch movie. You have it in your collection & can watch it anytime you'd like, but you will stop & watch it on TV even if it is halfway over.

rjb1

Practically Family
For me:
"Band of Brothers"
"Godfather I &II"
"Lord of the Rings" Trilogy
"Battleground"
For these and some others, as my brother and I say, "If it's on, you watch it.".

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Intriguing to see so few pre-1970s films cited here. A love of classic cinema is mostly what inspired my interest in vintage clothes, furniture, housewares, music, etc., but it seems plenty of folks here are into vintage without being as fond of old movies.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As far as classics go, these came to mind first:

Bad Day at Black Rock
12 Angry Men
It’s A Wonderful Life
Harvey
The Ox-Bow Incident

As far as old but not quite classics, I can't seem to turn of anything with Roy Scheider in it. Blue Thunder and The Seven-Ups are a couple of my favorites of his.

As for recent, every time John Carter shows up on cable, I can't seem to turn it off or walk away.

Too many to count, probably.

The Money Pit
Laura
State Fair
Space Balls
Rio Bravo

Ooohhh... Rio Bravo. Definitely one of mine along with its reinvention---Eldorado. The scene with Stumpy and the dynamite was hilarious. lol lol
Also on my list:
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly---with the restored scenes.
For a Few Dollars More
A Fist full of Dollars
Duck You Sucker lol lol
Ok, so I am into westerns....:p
Add to that:
Army of Darkness
Any Lee Van Cleef Western---especially Sabata.:p

rjb1

Practically Family
Definitely agree on "Rio Bravo"... If I had a dollar for every time I have seen that, or a fraction of it, I could buy Stumpy some false teeth - even at today's prices.
Can't get interested in "Twelve Angry Men" anymore. We have seen too many real trials these days and the idea of a juror introducing evidence himself to get the defendant off just kills the whole plot. Instant mistrial...

jthix

New in Town
As many have previously said, Rio Bravo is definitely one of these types of movies.

Also probably The Shawshank Redemption - AMC and TNT always seem to be playing it and whenever it comes one, you just have to watch it. The Green Mile is another one.

One I haven't seen mentioned: Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Caught that one on TV just as it was starting, real late at night. Thought I was about to go to bed, but nope, had to stay up until 2 am to watch this movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff