Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing hats?

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I picked up a very light colored (taupe) Borsalino that had a stain that looks like it was from the sweat band. Well after a nice soak in naptha the stain remains. Is is it possible or even advisable to have the hat dyed a darker color?

Mike K.

One Too Many
I've wondered the same thing Skillbilly. I would think Matt or Art would know a few things about changing the color of a hat. My concern would be that many dyes require a mordant for the color to set. Often that mordant is a salt and I'm not sure it would be good for hat felts.

Fedora

Vendor
You can in fact dye a hat, even with a dispersion dye like Rit. The hard part if getting the felt to absorb the dye deep. You can boil the hat in the dye for hours and the felt will look like a sandwich, if you were to cut off a piece of the brim. 3 layers. The outer layers being the new color, and the inside being the old color. Back in the old days when hats were dyed by hand, in small shops, they had to use a technique that involved taking the hat out, and allowing it to cool, and then going back in the dye for another saturation. This was repeated many times, and was very time consuming. The cooling off stages helps the dye to absorb deep into the felt. If you try it, be sure to put a bit of Woolite into the dye mixture, as this allows the felt to absorb the dye better. I am currently wearing a vintage Stetson Nutria hat, that I dyed 4 years ago, using Rit dye,and the color is still great, with no wash out. I would not recommend dying a new hat though, as the live felt will shrink up really bad. You can boil vintage felt with very little shrinkage, although I did have to reblock the Stetson I just mentioned just to get it back into a nice shape. I cannot say how a vintage rabbit hat would react in the shrinkage department, as I never tried it, but if the felt is dead, the same would probably apply. Fedora

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone out there experimented with dyeing felt hats since this was brought up in 2006? Anyting to add here?

zetwal said:
Has anyone out there experimented with dyeing felt hats since this was brought up in 2006? Anyting to add here?

Yes.

Good results are much likelier if you 1.) use a dye specifically formulated for protein fibers, 2.) use enough of that dye and a large enough vessel, 3.) gradually increase and then gradually decrease the temperature of the dye bath (so as to avoid "shocking" the felt and causing it to shrink even more than it likely will), and 4.) use a hat body in a color that will yield a decent looking result with the dye color, such as a gray body and a dark blue dye.

Some people say Rit brand dye works well. I wouldn't dispute that, but such has not been my experience. It's a general purpose dye, allegedly suitable for dyeing both protein and cellulose fibers. I've never had it work satisfactorily for either. Maybe I've always done something wrong, despite my following the instructions on the label.

Dyeing a hat involves taking it down to the bare body, so turning it back into a hat again involves blocking and flanging and probably a new sweatband and ribbon. In other words, it takes the right equipment and materials and quite a few steps, none of which is as easy as it appears. This is not to discourage a person from giving it a go, but just to give a sense of what he is up against.

markapsolon

New in Town
I am a little timid about doing anything to my hats that involves cleaning not to mention staining. I just recently had a problem with the brim on one of my dobbs hats because of the rain. I thought about trying to fix the problem myself and got some great ideas from the forum members but I decided to take it to a hatter. You might want to consider doing that if you really like the hat and think it is worth the money.

markapsolon said:
I am a little timid about doing anything to my hats that involves cleaning not to mention staining. I just recently had a problem with the brim on one of my dobbs hats because of the rain. I thought about trying to fix the problem myself and got some great ideas from the forum members but I decided to take it to a hatter. You might want to consider doing that if you really like the hat and think it is worth the money.

You're wise to shy away from such a project, markapsolon, especially considering you have a hatter in your town who'll tend to that stuff for you.

Me, I've ruined a few hats. That's kinda how a person learns this stuff these days -- you ask people with more experience and you make a lot of mistakes.

Redyeing a hat body is a fairly drastic measure, one that should probably be reserved for those hats that just wouldn't be acceptable otherwise, due to impossible-to-get-out staining or uneven fading or an ugly color. It's really more work than making an all-new hat, and for that reason it's not worth the trouble, unless you take some pleasure in the process or are looking for a body color you just can't get any other way.

jwalls

Vendor
Dying a hat is probably best left to a professional. I have done 3 and was only satisfied with one. The cost would be enough to buy a good custom.

deano7879

New in Town

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think, maybe the color is just the end result of age, the hat seems like it has been around for a long time. But maybe there would be a process to make a hat appear that way, I think someone that makes hats may be able to tell you that information.

deano7879

New in Town
hi it hasnt been around for years. this was a hat made to replicate the part 2 hat from a nightmare on elm street

i know the maker of this hat would of used certain dyes or chemicals to get this aged look! has you can see its very authentic

Quick Carl

New in Town
I must begin by saying I don't pretend to be any kind of expert in hats or material. But I recently re-dyed my old felt hat and am pleased with the result. I probably did a lot of things you shouldn't do and if I tried again it probably wouldn't work next time.

I have a 100% wool felt hat. It says "crushable -water repellant - lite felt" on the inside. It used to be brown but faded on top to an olive green. I wasn't going to mess with it until the hat band became brittle and crumbled into pieces. The new hat band I bought was thinner and the original brown under the old hat band stuck out!

After reading about how hard it was to do I tried to find someone locally who would do it! No one would and they all advised I buy a new hat (we live in a throw away society).

The following steps were the end result of several conversations with people at Joann Fabrics: Step 1: I bought a little tool called a "Sweater Comb" designed to remove fuzz from materials prone to pilling. I combed the brim (top and bottom) and outside in a counterclockwise direction. I removed so much lint the first time I went around a second time (none round 2). Step 2: I bought "Woolite Carpet and Apholstery" cleaner. If you can't use Woolite for wool, what can you use? It has a soft bristle brush built in, and creates a foam you work into the material. Again I brushed foam into the brim and outside in a counterclockwise direction. You're supposed to vacuum up the residue, but when I saw the advice above to add woo lite to the dye to help absorption I decided to leave it! Step 3: Here I get really unconventional. The only dye I could find that mentioned wool was Rit. I got the powder. I dissolved it in 2 cups hot tap water plus 1 cup vinegar in a small bucket. Then I added that to a large bucket with 3 gallons hot tap water. Here's the weird part! I was not comfortable boiling my hat, and anyway only the top and outside was faded, the underside brim was still brown. So I poured the hot dye mixture into an old Windex spray bottle I saved after the Windex was gone. I sprayed the dye onto the brim and outside of the hat in a counterclockwise direction and hung it from my shower head to drain into a bucket. I repeated this every 3 minutes for 20 minutes! Then I put some hot water into another spray bottle and sprayed the hat as. I had done with the dye. Twice around with hot water, twice with warm water, then repeatedly with cold water until the drainage was colorless. In between water sprays I waited until it wasn't dripping any more.

I suppose the fact that I wasn't dying it a new color but was dying a faded wool is the reason it worked so well! If you were to cut away a piece of the brim you'd see the inside is already brown! Only the outside was green! But it did work! I let the hat dry overnight and sprayed it with a Water and Stain Repellant Spray.

I have a hat that looks like new. I have been out in the rain and it is fully colorfast!

I felt (no pun intended) I had nothing to lose as I was wearing an ugly green hat! I was prepared to throw it away if I messed it up. Thankfully beginner's luck kicked in and it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112