Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early STETSON Models- ads Pre-Depression

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
and this....

Second set of plates WITHOUT writing

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Walt

One of the Regulars
Now if we could just find a stash of these in NOS that haven't been touched by the elements or moths in an old store warehouse. And for some of us in the larger sizes! You never know what might turn up.

Thanks for sharing these.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I found a few more Stetson Pacemaker ads...

February 22 1916

February 23 1916

February 24 1916

Feb 24th 1916

Feb 25th 1916

February 29 1916

Bryan daily eagle and pilot

March 4th 1916

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I had put this on another thread, but since some of these ads have prices, I thought these cards I saw on ebay may be of interest here, too. These are wholesale prices for Stetsons, but easy enough to extrapolate to retail based on other ads and what not.

View attachment 7541
View attachment 7542

It is interesting to note that Stetson had a hat called the Chamois, but did not put the name Stetson on it! I wonder if that was a brand it bought out or something?

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I had put this on another thread, but since some of these ads have prices, I thought these cards I saw on ebay may be of interest here, too. These are wholesale prices for Stetsons, but easy enough to extrapolate to retail based on other ads and what not.

View attachment 7541
View attachment 7542

It is interesting to note that Stetson had a hat called the Chamois, but did not put the name Stetson on it! I wonder if that was a brand it bought out or something?

These are FANTASTIC! Thanks for posting these.

Lefty had a beautiful Chamois at one time and I actually own a Chamois Derby. There really is NO mention of the Stetson name anywhere.

But.....Stetson did use two labels which can be found in almost every pre-40's Stetson hat.....

fedoracentric

Banned
I shudda knowed that someone here would have seen a Chamois hat at some point! LOL

Now we know that Chamois was a Stetson.... or at least was in the 1920s, anyway. I still wonder if it was a brand Stetson bought out and continued for a while like they did the Mallory later on.

I found the cards I posted above interesting, though. It shows that the prices of the 5X and the 7X were very, very expensive at the time. No wonder we never see any of them from the early days. Comparatively few were probably bought so few exist today.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting. Is that the price per dozen?
So Chamois hat were too cheap to carry the Stetson name, but are still excellent hat.

buler

I'll Lock Up
More research...

<as always, click for larger image>

Dec 04, 1903

steston_elco_pike_ariel_dec04_1903.JPG

Sept 1905

stetson_models_sept22_1905.JPG

Feb 1906

stetson_models_feb23_1906.JPG

Aug 1906

stetson_ads_aug27_1906.JPG

Sept 1906

stetson_models_sept14_1906.JPG

Aug 1908

stetson_chamois_aug25_1908.jpg

July 1912

stetson_models_prices_july26_1912.JPG

Sept 1914

stetson_sept_14_1914.jpg

Aug 1915

stetson_event_aug31_1915.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Now, I am wondering if Stetson did not stamp the model name into the sweatband in those days and that the style was what the hat looked like on the outside as opposed to what was stamped on the sweat. I ask this because a lot of the westerns they sold were a similar hat creased differently. I am wondering if the model name stamping started in the 1900s. Does anyone have an answer to that?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I guess, you mean in the field labled "Color, Quality And Style". If so, this is as far I have gotten:

Bronze Nutria Voyage ?
Dark Blue Nutria West ?
Dark Blue Nutria Pocket(?) ?
Bronze Nutria Caprier ?
Dark Blue Nutria ? ?
Dark Blue Nutria XL NT
Dark Blue Nutria R. R.
Dark Blue Nutria ? ?

- but I'm not absolutely sure :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know, right? I always hated cursive. Mine looks like a person with palsy scribbled it! I've never been able to read anyone else's either.

Hehe ... I don't know your age, but I'm 58 and I got whipped with cursive in school. A whole page of a's, one of b's, one of c's and so on ... and all the way from the top again. I hated it, but learned to write and read cursive after all [huh]

Actually, there are small cultural differencies in the way the same letter is formed. Not much, but enough to make it harder for me to read cursive, written by an American. Even harder is hand written Gothic letters. In Europe, we used the Gothic alphabeth up until the turn of the century 1800/1900. In DK school children were taught Gothic untill 1875, but I have my dad's old Danish copy of Cooper's "Last of The Mohicans" from 1898 - still in Gothic. In about 5 minutes my skills are back, when it comes to printed Gothic, but hand written takes a lot more :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points