Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing A-1 Jacket .50 Cal. Collection - NEW Capeskin

I'm just trying to get more info on that MA-1. I merely pointed out the fit pages to show it's not a simple task...
So, how about that that red MA-1?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ProteinNerd, I absolutely agree.
Butte can't let it go.

Hey there Big J, maybe this page will help you with your questions on the sizing concerns over the DD jackets.
Seems to me it's not exact, and even the guys here will have some deviations. Imagine?
This sounds like a pretty nice jacket. And look at that price - inline with other's non-leather pieces too!

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/usaf/buzz-rickson-ma-1-flying-jacket-blazing-red/

Read the sizing tips and measurements. That should offer some help.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You know, the more I look at it, the more I'm liking that red MA-1. I think green nylon flight jackets look good with blue jeans, but I feel strange about wearing them with beige slacks (although I often wear my green BR L-2b with beige slacks and a blue oxford shirt), but I'm thinking that this red nylon would pair up pretty good with beige pants or jeans.

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm just trying to get more info on that MA-1. I merely pointed out the fit pages to show it's not a simple task...
So, how about that that red MA-1?

If memory serves, the red MA-1 that Buzz Rickson released in the past (10 years ago?) had Lockheed insignia on it and a name tag and said SCORPION on the back and call numbers in a black military stencil.
There was also a version that had WILD JERRY on the pilot name tag - which I didn't like so much. Silly name IMO.
But this is how it appeared in the old catalogue that I have (it's at work, so cannot verify 100% right now). Hope this whets/sates your appetite somewhat for now until Charles gets back to you!
http://www.mil-mil.net/docs/buzz/jacket/br13905/br13905.html

Awesome @Stand By - thank you! I would not consider a patched rev so I'm happy they seem to have cleaned it up.
I don't mind wearing an homage, but patched, no.
I love all the dev/skunkworks type stuff, and the jackets are really exciting me right now. I think that if the one above will fit me I'm going for it.
Alas, I don't think HPA is going to reply to me at all on this one...

Stand By

One Too Many
Here's the Wild Jerry version - for completeness' sakes ..
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-cream-r/item/br11541scorpion/

I know that Charles has been battling with his health this year on the home front plus has been having staff issues at work of late. I wouldn't take anything personally - please try to be patient with him. I know the wait will be worth it ... I was lucky to get my Buzz Ricksons B-15D when I did in August and it came quickly in the midst of his troubles as I know he dropped off the TFL radar for a good while over the summer, but still he got it out as soon as he was able and I was glad of his service, in spite of things at his end.

And I totally agree with you - I much prefer this new "vanilla" version!
And yes, the Lockheed/Skunkworks is the coolest of the cool, IMO. The USAF should totally have gone with their YF-15!
And Buzz once did a very nice patched N3-B that was Lockheed-themed too. That was great too! That I would have if I was going for a new one. But I went vintage in the end.

Last edited:
That Wild Jerry is pretty cool. If I were younger, I could do that maybe.
Oddly, I was pondering another one of those CockpitUSA "Sun Faded" MA-1's in red - I got the blue one and love it.
I think this one is what I want. If it will fit me.

Stand By

One Too Many
That Wild Jerry is pretty cool. If I were younger, I could do that maybe.
Oddly, I was pondering another one of those CockpitUSA "Sun Faded" MA-1's in red - I got the blue one and love it.
I think this one is what I want. If it will fit me.

I see that it has the same zips as my B-15D (1952 version in sage green) and they are quite simply the best and most robust zips I've yet come across. I love mine!
I'll be putting up a thread on that BR jacket in the new year - the text is done and the photos too - just need some fit photos (I did try when it first arrived in August and man, it was BAKING! It was, like, 90F and my face was bright red as I was wearing it in what felt like an oven and my t-shirt was wrinkling badly with the humidity and it was just too much - just not a good look to commit to the world forever! Ha!Ha! Deleted! Anyway, I'll get to it later and ask Nick123 to kindly help me out again with posting when I can ...).

Stand By

One Too Many
Actually, given my complexion, this jacket would work better for me with a shirt and beige slacks;

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/brands/buzz-ricksons-usaf-type-l-2a-flying-jacket/

I don't own any blue nylon flight jackets. Seems to be an oversight on my part of significant proportions.

A few years ago I replaced my Buzz L2 (sage green) for the blue L2-A and, as much as the other was great, I think the blue is amazing and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it. Nothing says SAC like that very particular blue nylon! It's different and is a cool and classy colour and looks great with jeans or chinos. Even camo shorts! And it's the perfect summer jacket for me - as it's warm on a cool summer morning to take the edge off any chill, yet cool enough for those cooler, overcast days.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Stand By, how ya' doin' today? It must be cold where you are.
I'm kinda jealous that you have summers cool enough to wear a jacket. I sleep without aircon in summer here, but it's boderline too hot. When I walk the dog on summer evenings, he's learned that the bank's 24 hour ATM's have aircon, and he always ducks in for a rest.
That blue does look good, and I was looking at the sizes yesterday. I think I'll try one on when I have the chance.
Everything looks better in strong sunlight.
You know, I'd also love to get my hands on one of those UV bleached MA-1s they used to make.

Stand By

One Too Many
@Stand By, how ya' doin' today? It must be cold where you are.
I'm kinda jealous that you have summers cool enough to wear a jacket. I sleep without aircon in summer here, but it's boderline too hot. When I walk the dog on summer evenings, he's learned that the bank's 24 hour ATM's have aircon, and he always ducks in for a rest.
That blue does look good, and I was looking at the sizes yesterday. I think I'll try one on when I have the chance.
Everything looks better in strong sunlight.
You know, I'd also love to get my hands on one of those UV bleached MA-1s they used to make.

I'm doing well, thanks, Big J! This has been the busiest year of my life and has been full-on since Easter - which is when we bought a house outside of Toronto in the country (thus having to sell our house in the city toot sweet! Work and stress to the Power 20! But we did it, thank God!) and now we live out here and have 1.78 acres and a forest on the back yard and horse trails that meet the property line! It's amazing. And I can see stars at night! And have bonfires in my own fire pit! Delightful. Very happy.
But I have to say, it's a almost a different climate here from the city. I'd heard for a long time that it's different north of the 401 highway (the 401 is N. America's busiest highway that runs east to west across the north of the city) - and it's so true! It's distinctly cooler and we've had a few inches of snow here and by the time we drive down into the city and get to the 401, there's just a nice dusting of snow - and absolutely nothing downtown! So strange. And I'm yet to find out just how buggy it is come the summer... have we ever had a thread on mosquito net suits and nets on hats???
But we love it. And all the dogs too of course! They all think this is a slice of Dog Heaven.
That's so cute that yours knows to enjoy the A/C on his rounds! What a smart boy! Bless him.
And today it's been another bone-chillin' day again and I had my ELC RW B-3 and C-3 plus B-2 cap on today for the first time plus my new winter Blundstones with the fleece insole! Bloody marvellous! :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here's the Wild Jerry version - for completeness' sakes ..
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-cream-r/item/br11541scorpion/

I know that Charles has been battling with his health this year on the home front plus has been having staff issues at work of late. I wouldn't take anything personally - please try to be patient with him. I know the wait will be worth it ... I was lucky to get my Buzz Ricksons B-15D when I did in August and it came quickly in the midst of his troubles as I know he dropped off the TFL radar for a good while over the summer, but still he got it out as soon as he was able and I was glad of his service, in spite of things at his end.

And I totally agree with you - I much prefer this new "vanilla" version!
And yes, the Lockheed/Skunkworks is the coolest of the cool, IMO. The USAF should totally have gone with their YF-15!
And Buzz once did a very nice patched N3-B that was Lockheed-themed too. That was great too! That I would have if I was going for a new one. But I went vintage in the end.

Thank you, Stand By, for jumping in here. Health is improving, I am most grateful to say (feeling quite good and performing at normal levels, though it's a long-term plan of wellness that is underway that could be 1-2 years for full fruition), but the volumes of lost time cannot be made up. Staffing is also in good shape again, but it's the madness of holiday buying right now that has minimized my presence and delayed replies here.

I do sincerely thank you for acting as my assistant and making such pitch-perfect posts!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Awesome @Stand By - thank you! I would not consider a patched rev so I'm happy they seem to have cleaned it up.
I don't mind wearing an homage, but patched, no.
I love all the dev/skunkworks type stuff, and the jackets are really exciting me right now. I think that if the one above will fit me I'm going for it.
Alas, I don't think HPA is going to reply to me at all on this one...

As Stand By suggested, Butte, please take no personal offense for this delayed reply. I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is the height of holiday buying right now and there just aren't enough hours in the day to maintain a 24-hour window to reply, which is my normal endeavor.

Since both you and Stand By have inquired about the Buzz Rickson Blazing-Red MA-1 in this thread, I'd like to create a separate post on this item and paste your questions with my answers on the new post, thus keeping this thread saved for the noted subject on which I'd like to contribute more in due course. So please look for the new thread on the MA-1 and my direct reply to your questions. Thank you.

As Stand By suggested, Butte, please take no personal offense for this delayed reply. I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is the height of holiday buying right now and there just aren't enough hours in the day to maintain a 24-hour window to reply, which is my normal endeavor.

Since both you and Stand By have inquired about the Buzz Rickson Blazing-Red MA-1 in this thread, I'd like to create a separate post on this item and paste your questions with my answers on the new post, thus keeping this thread saved for the noted subject on which I'd like to contribute more in due course. So please look for the new thread on the MA-1 and my direct reply to your questions. Thank you.

Thanks - makes perfect sense. I appreciate the help and will look for the new thread.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have very recent experience along these lines and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Charles and HPA for their stellar customer service.
Last week I ordered a Buzz Rickson L2-A experimental test sample jacket but I was unsure of which size to get because my measurements fell right between the 42 and 44. I called HPA and spoke to Charles to review my options and get his opinion. He and I agreed that I should try the size 42 since I wanted a trim fit, and he graciously offered to put a size 44 on hold for me in case the 42 was too small. When the jacket arrived it was a bit too trim for my liking so I called Charles again and arranged to send the jacket back in exchange for the larger size.
Thanks again for the top notch customer service!

Thank YOU, El Marro! I just try my best to keep all of the plates spinning and remain thoughtful of individual needs. It is a pleasure to work with you and your patronage is sincerely valued. Lets' see if we can;'t get this fit all situated in the next try ...

HPA Rep

Vendor
Why are we talking about JC/DD an Eastman Leather specific thread anyway?

Why not start specific thread on DD and have at it and not bog down HPA’s thread, he’s an affiliate and keeps this place paid for, I think we should show him a little more respect.

My supreme thanks and respect are extended to you, PN. Perfect!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Hey Charles,
Any chance of a review of this rare and unusual beauty?
https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/usaf/buzz-rickson-ma-1-flying-jacket-blazing-red/
I originally saw it in an old Buzz catalogue (2007?) that you kindly sent me a few years ago - and now it's back! Would love to see more of it and see that red nylon on a real person ...
Thanks!

Thank you, Stand By, for the request. I will do my best to make this happen. If we get a lull in business right before Christmas, I think I can squeeze this in with a shoot on the .50 CAL. A-1; otherwise, it'll be slated for Jan. when I get back. There's also a more realistic chance of just getting my other half to snap a few pics of me in my MA-1, which is inconsistent with the studio shoots I prefer with professional lighting, but it would potentially get you something to see sooner vs. later, and also before this sells out since it is a limited edition for just this year unless BR elects to make them again in 2018.

Please know your valued request is noted. I am now moving discussion of the Buzz Rickson Blazing-Red MA-1 to its own, specific thread for better coverage and to allow this thread to be maintained for its noted subject.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112