Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Got this one cheap
20151119faro02.jpg

Bolero, worth is so subjective. To me, the hat's not worth it because you're gonna gave to put more money or considerable time and effort in to it to make it wearable.

On the other hand, if this is the hat you always wanted or this is the one hat you needed to complete your collection, you probably underbid.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
in my opinion a hat is only worth what you are willing to pay for it

that hat is in pretty rough shape

anytime a sweatband in detached .... even in a small area... I always pass

sweatband condition is a major buying/passing point for me

there is something about a reattached sweat... or replaced sweat that turns me off about a hat

in my opinion a hat is only worth what you are willing to pay for it

that hat is in pretty rough shape

anytime a sweatband in detached .... even in a small area... I always pass

sweatband condition is a major buying/passing point for me

there is something about a reattached sweat... or replaced sweat that turns me off about a hat

I don't mind doing a little work. In fact, some of my nice ones have had a little work done. However, I agree that, from a collector point of view, you want nice components. The sweat is an integral part of the original hat, as it contains factory and probably historical markings. I think most of us get off on that sort of thing, so having a new Optimo or Batsakes or self-installed sweat takes away from the desirability. However, I make some purchases specifically with the idea I'm going to put work and $$ into it. I think that Medalist was a nice piece. A quick clean up and throw a $20 sweat in and it's a nice hat. Not really a true vintage Medalist, but I like to see the felts recovered, if nothing else.

Gordon Harlan

New in Town
i got a bargain on two silverbelly cowboy hats. but i think they are promos. one the sweatband almost disintegrated. the other seems ok. I'm having difficulty finding replacement sweatbands as i wear a size 8. both hats were about $65 usd. fine fur felt. I've stretched a bit and reblocked. plopped a rattlesnake hatband on it ala John Wayne in the shootist.
any pointers on extra long sweatbands?

--sent from broadbandless rural America

suitedcboy

One Too Many
i got a bargain on two silverbelly cowboy hats. but i think they are promos. one the sweatband almost disintegrated. the other seems ok. I'm having difficulty finding replacement sweatbands as i wear a size 8. both hats were about $65 usd. fine fur felt. I've stretched a bit and reblocked. plopped a rattlesnake hatband on it ala John Wayne in the shootist.
any pointers on extra long sweatbands?

You don't list brand(s) but if they are Resistol then you can get factory replaced sweats for $25. I think they cut and size sweats in house so the size should not be a problem. They also replace liner when they do the sweat for the $25 fee. Contact Resistol Hat outlet in Garland Texas (972) 494-0511

Gordon Harlan

New in Town
You don't list brand(s) but if they are Resistol then you can get factory replaced sweats for $25. I think they cut and size sweats in house so the size should not be a problem. They also replace liner when they do the sweat for the $25 fee. Contact Resistol Hat outlet in Garland Texas (972) 494-0511
oops, sorry i left that out. they are Stetsons.
I'm a regular mad hatter lately. i got these then a couple of days later my akubra camp draft showed up after four months... so it must've slipped my mind.
i ran into a guy on jury duty with me who used to work for resistol, he said something like that too... i may have owned a resistol in the 70s or 80s when i was a mere lad in my teens or twenties.

javadave61

Practically Family
http://tinyurl.com/pruea5a

Stetson Temple-not a vintage hat, but I wanted to try one out and although not a lot of pictures were provided it looked like it was worth taking the chance.

Very nice. I tried one on at the Stetson outlet last weekend, and I found it to be one of their better hats. I was already in way over my head in terms of money spent, so I had to pass it up. But I think you'll enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ