Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RJR

A nice 40's OR in a popular size and a good condition box for an ultra popular hat. $200 for the hat $120 for the box. Seems reasonable to me. I think someone got a fair deal. Just my opinion though....I like 40's OR's a lot and could really use a Whippet box! haha
:confused:

The hat was a 40's RSD, thin ribbon with a thin bound edge. I will lay odds the words Open Road do not appear anywhere on that hat. Still a nice hat.

To your point, I bet it doesn't say OR anywhere either. Reminded me of a 50's era 25 I have that is very OR or Strat like that has no other designation. I paid much less for a 50's era RD OR in a unique color that you id'd as Sky Gray. I've gotten caught up in the OR thing because of seller listings but thanks to you guys, I look more closely. Kinda like the Stetson 100 OR thing. They look like it, feel like, and maybe even smell like it but it's not an OR if it doesn't say so. As to the box thing, I like them but can't wear them and storage is an issue. They're the least of my concerns when bidding on a hat, but that's just me as I'm more of a wearer than a collector.

I must be the odd man out here because that price does not seem all that crazy to me

I don't think it's crazy, either. It is a little steep for a box, but the law of supply and demand can't be ignored. You just don't see Whippet boxes that often. And in that condition, apparently with inserts, it's going to get top dollar.

The hat was a 40's RSD, thin ribbon with a thin bound edge. I will lay odds the words Open Road do not appear anywhere on that hat. Still a nice hat.

They look like it, feel like, and maybe even smell like it but it's not an OR if it doesn't say so.

By that, I'm still looking for an OR. My 3X doesn't have the designation, but is the exact thing my wife has, except hers says Open Road on it. I still call it an OR, though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's crazy, either. It is a little steep for a box, but the law of supply and demand can't be ignored. You just don't see Whippet boxes that often. And in that condition, apparently with inserts, it's going to get top dollar.

there is a hat that sold as well, no ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points