Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Came home and while is a jet-lag stupor, won this Mallory. It looks like a nice old one, but I'm sure y'all will let me know if I messed up and bought a modern Stetson or some other such horror...

i-Vpm2pzn-XL.jpg

i-B4hG7K8-L.jpg

i-c23WFP8-XL.jpg
Missed this one......my size too.......envy.............great catch!
M

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
IMG_635.jpg
IMG_637.jpg
IMG_638.jpg
IMG_639.jpg
I'm not sure if I messed up on this or not but I landed this one from the Goodwill auction site for $66. They listed it as a "vintage dobbs" but after I researched the shop it was sold out of they have only been in business since the mid 70s. Thus my thoughts were it certainly couldn't be any older than the mid seventies and I was guessing it was probably more modern than that (80s?). I really like the color of the hat and thought the ribbon and matching brim binding looked cool so I bought it.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 78892 View attachment 78893 View attachment 78894 View attachment 78895 I'm not sure if I messed up on this or not but I landed this one from the Goodwill auction site for $66. They listed it as a "vintage dobbs" but after I researched the shop it was sold out of they have only been in business since the mid 70s. Thus my thoughts were it certainly couldn't be any older than the mid seventies and I was guessing it was probably more modern than that (80s?). I really like the color of the hat and thought the ribbon and matching brim binding looked cool so I bought it.
There are some good hats from the 70's - 80's to be sure. This one does look pretty cool. I think you did well!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Came home and while is a jet-lag stupor, won this Mallory. It looks like a nice old one, but I'm sure y'all will let me know if I messed up and bought a modern Stetson or some other such horror...

i-Vpm2pzn-XL.jpg

i-B4hG7K8-L.jpg

i-c23WFP8-XL.jpg
nice piece Doug
it is a post Stetson merger Mallory ... and probably a damn nicely made hat
looks to be most likely mid to late 50s if I had to guess... possibly early 60s ?
good score

Last edited:
View attachment 78892 View attachment 78893 View attachment 78894 View attachment 78895 I'm not sure if I messed up on this or not but I landed this one from the Goodwill auction site for $66. They listed it as a "vintage dobbs" but after I researched the shop it was sold out of they have only been in business since the mid 70s. Thus my thoughts were it certainly couldn't be any older than the mid seventies and I was guessing it was probably more modern than that (80s?). I really like the color of the hat and thought the ribbon and matching brim binding looked cool so I bought it.
This one should steam up quite nice. Judging by the Dobbs Coach logo and the thinner black sweat you may be in the right ball park on dating. Probably closer to 70s. Is there a copy write symbol by the logo? That is post 1972.

I know that Jim, that's why I was wondering what prompted the negative comment.

Reminds me of the joke about the rookie Outdoor Sales Rep who came into the office at the end of the day to tell his boss, "I made 10 sales calls today. I could have made 1 or 2 more but some Buyer asked me a question!"
Not negative in the least. I always love to see the restoration process on these hats. I didn't mean to disparage this find in any way. I still say it is a sweetie!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is a nice looking Mallory. I have an aristocrat quality and it is a great hat. Can't wait to see it.
Thanks, Red. Me too. This will be my first Mallory. Have heard good things, but couldn't remember what details set the pre- and post-Stetson hats apart from each other. I snagged a sweet Champ Featherweight before I flew to Ecuador, but asked the seller to wait until 7/8 to ship. When he shipped the hat, he included a little note saying "BTW, I have another real nice hat for sale if you're interested." I looked in on it about 12 minutes before the end of the auction and decided to pounce with 8 seconds to go. I got it for less than half of my max bid amount...

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I was watching that one too. I really like the color combo. Congrats!
Thank you very much sir! The color combo was what drew me to the hat. Hopefully I didn't snag it away from you.
There are some good hats from the 70's - 80's to be sure. This one does look pretty cool. I think you did well!
Thanks Doug! I am excited to get it.
This one should steam up quite nice. Judging by the Dobbs Coach logo and the thinner black sweat you may be in the right ball park on dating. Probably closer to 70s. Is there a copy write symbol by the logo? That is post 1972.
Thanks Mike! The picture quality and zoom isn't quite good enough for me to see the trademark symbol if there is one. I sure couldn't see one so perhaps it's a pre 72' hat! When she arrives I will grab some better photos for sure. Plus I want to do a before and after pic once I get done brushing at steaming it. :)

40Cal

One Too Many
Thanks, Red. Me too. This will be my first Mallory. Have heard good things, but couldn't remember what details set the pre- and post-Stetson hats apart from each other. I snagged a sweet Champ Featherweight before I flew to Ecuador, but asked the seller to wait until 7/8 to ship. When he shipped the hat, he included a little note saying "BTW, I have another real nice hat for sale if you're interested." I looked in on it about 12 minutes before the end of the auction and decided to pounce with 8 seconds to go. I got it for less than half of my max bid amount...
That's a beauty , Doug. The "Established 1817" in the logo makes it post Stetson merger. the paper size tag takes it into the 1950's era ( From info I have gathered here on the Lounge).

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
nice piece Doug
it is a post Stetson merger Mallory ... and probably a damn nicely made hat
looks to be most likely mid to late 50s if I had to guess... possibly early 60s ?
good score
Thanks for the input! I was hoping it was pre-merger hat, but it does look like a nice hat in excellent condition.

Thanks also to @40Cal for the assist!

@Frunobulax , if your post was directed to me the answer is, I guess so... not super familiar with the seller but the crease on the Mallory looks to be almost too perfect to be hand - bashed by one of our own ham-fisted beauties! (said totally tongue-in-cheek)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat. Since you brought up getting it for "half of my max bid amount" what did you end up getting it for?

T
@Frunobulax , if your post was directed to me the answer is, I guess so... not super familiar with the seller but the crease on the Mallory looks to be almost too perfect to be hand - bashed by one of our own ham-fisted beauties! (said totally tongue-in-cheek)

Sorry, I thought you already had it in hand. And yeah, it looks too perfect, that's why I was curious.

Nice looking hat though. Looking forward to the full report.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui