Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay scam

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But what happens if the seller sends a tracked empty box? That once happened to me with a very expensive camera I had ordered. The tracked UPS box was filled with sandbags- and no camera.

I was very suspect with a purchase from eBay once so I actually filmed myself opening the box. Made a mini documentary with the idea that if it was a scam I could send the video to eBay, took time to show the box was unopened etc etc......turns out everything was fine but I've always wondered if they would have accepted it as "evidence"?

ProteinNerd

I noticed the seller has a zero rating. Probably best not to buy from someone with little or no reviews.

Based in India, finchley_1 has been an eBay member since 13 Dec, 2016

and that has clearly only opened the account the day of the listing....

with eBay today, you have to assume every one is a scammer unless there is evidence otherwise.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Just received an email from eBay saying the seller has removed the item & it's no longer available.possibly me informing the seller that he was sussed & i had reported it to eBay & interpol fraud department helped ;-)

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
But what happens if the seller sends a tracked empty box? That once happened to me with a very expensive camera I had ordered. The tracked UPS box was filled with sandbags- and no camera.
Yup, this thing happened to me on a returned item...Buyer send ice cubes back..all tracked...( weight all ok with original item... package was soaked and still had some nylon wrapping from the ice cubes inthere...when I received it)... lost it all the 400 Euro jacket, the Paypal payment etc......You are right, Paypal sides the buyer only...never the seller.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
From what I have learned, Paypal will only refund if the item is signed for on delivery. It would make sense to open a package before signing.
Here it was ( in that time at least) not like that. PP refund the guy after he gave a tracking N#...
Imagine, you want to send back and the seller never signs it up, PP would be useless to buyers as well...
I file a case at the police for fraud and learned that PP does not have an office but only a call center in France ( allmost all over EU no office, except Luxenburg...with a PO box.).
Checking on the internet, I found that apparently many case reported against PP.
Since that, PP is banned...for me.

ProteinNerd

My eBay purchases are through PayPal which is linked to my credit card so I would expect (hope) that with a "double layer of protection", one of them would look after me. Is this being naive?

willyto

One Too Many
My eBay purchases are through PayPal which is linked to my credit card so I would expect (hope) that with a "double layer of protection", one of them would look after me. Is this being naive?

Nowadays you can also make a payment with your Credit Card that is processed trough Paypal but you don't need an account.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Maybe, but its a long process of claims and reports.
My daughter recently got some fraud issues on her Visa...its no fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points