Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay scam

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
PayPal and eBay was always going to be a marriage made in Hell and the financial services should never have allowed it to happen. Just too many rules protecting the two working together.
But yes it's easy to use as a buyer but since the removal of negative comments from the sellers, both eBay and PayPal has lost a lot of trust with sellers.
Just my opinions, humble or otherwise :(

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
PayPal and eBay was always going to be a marriage made in Hell and the financial services should never have allowed it to happen. Just too many rules protecting the two working together.
But yes it's easy to use as a buyer but since the removal of negative comments from the sellers, both eBay and PayPal has lost a lot of trust with sellers.
Just my opinions, humble or otherwise :(
Most of the Ebay EU sites, do not promote Paypal anymore...so many open law suites and cases..

nick123

I'll Lock Up
These episodes always get me wondering about the operation. Where is it? Basement? Clandestine empty warehouse?? What do these guys do? Wake up at 2am, post about 500 fake listings, lunchtime ham sandwich from deli below, back to work, fall asleep in computer chair. Repeat. Bizarrre to ponder.

Harvie

New in Town
But what happens if the seller sends a tracked empty box? That once happened to me with a very expensive camera I had ordered. The tracked UPS box was filled with sandbags- and no camera.

If this happens in the US just call your credit card and reverse the charge. They will tell you to send whatever you got back w USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation ONLY, NO sig needed.
When confirmed returned and tracked online, your cc company will credit your account back 100% of the charge, PP will also tack a 10-15 USD charge on seller account for the charge back.

These episodes always get me wondering about the operation. Where is it? Basement? Clandestine empty warehouse?? What do these guys do? Wake up at 2am, post about 500 fake listings, lunchtime ham sandwich from deli below, back to work, fall asleep in computer chair. Repeat. Bizarrre to ponder.

And how did they even find this market? I mean, comparatively speaking we're pretty niche. You'd really have to stick around for a while to figure out what this fanbase is all about, to know the good stuff people are willing to pay this much money for.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe they're aware of this board, it is pretty easy to find this place when you google up some leather jacket type or brand, probably big percentage of registered users are silent lurkers anyway, so you never know...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
And how did they even find this market? I mean, comparatively speaking we're pretty niche. You'd really have to stick around for a while to figure out what this fanbase is all about, to know the good stuff people are willing to pay this much money for.

maybe they're aware of this board, it is pretty easy to find this place when you google up some leather jacket type or brand, probably big percentage of registered users are silent lurkers anyway, so you never know...
Not everyone with an interest in old leather jackets or anything antique is as honest to God, Country and my Baby as hopefully most of us are. There is always temptation where there is easy money to be made and if there is a chance someone can get away with a trick then they probably will and word of mouth for an easy £$€ can find its way to the most divers folks.
Enthusiast board such as these are prime targets, as are motorcycle forums, old toy pages etc. If you are willing to tell someone something about what you own these folks are experts can always tempt us with bargains that are really to good to be true, and someone someplace will bite.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Easy money calls..
Just look at all the Co. offering repro items for WW2 reenactor stuff ( made in Asia, Ex-Eastern Block etc...)....Most of them are sureley OK, but it surely attracts scammers...from this end of the world.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Theft is a full-time job, and I'd imagine that these guys have their antennae out at all times. I doubt if it would be too hard to figure out what it is that people will spend good money for on the internet, but, like all other professions, some are better at it than others. I thought there was something funny about the name "Finchley," as it sounds like a comical stage-name for an Englishman (all it needs is another "F" at the beginning). Nick makes a good point, though, about the weirdness of it all: it must be a strange existence, and you have to wonder how it could be profitable in the long run. Plus, I've never known a criminal who wasn't constantly looking over his shoulder. Hell of a way to live.

I just got hosed again on eBay as a seller (three times now, 2/3 used electronics).
This time, Paypal emails me that they have refunded the buyer and case is closed.
I learned from the prior episodes, and aside from pics, profiles, etc. of the device, I take pics now of shipping labels, boxes with labels, you name it.
I was so p*ssed that not only did they take the money, they took a $20 fee and I had to pay eBay for fees.
So Iost a chunk of money - this case filed 41 days after the sale.
I hate to bore with details, but I went off this time - filing complaints with the CEO of Paypal, BBB, USPS (mail fraud), FTC, and more. I had all my docs and screen shots and messages from the buyer, etc. all in a folder.
I threatened Paypal AND eBay with a lawsuit and waited.
It started pretty rough. Paypal has no way to debate the case - it's closed and I could not even reply to it when it was opened.
I then finally got an email stating I can upload attachments for my complaint.
First attempt, another email from another "person" that I can't send attachments that way.
Try this.
Same.
Third email (threats abounded - legal) and got another reply from another person. This link allowed me to upload files.
Waited.
Few days pass and magically (after now 8 emails with 8 unique senders) I get an email stating the money was refunded.
Within Paypal, there is a "verified buyer address to protect sellers" of the buyer. This one had TWO! I showed them this as well as replies from the USPS, BBB, FTC and had proof it was delivered to the correct address and everything was 110% in order on my end.
I have spent the balance in my Paypal and closed it.
I am now sadly, after 18 years on eBay, closing that too. I am effin' fed up with this crap and all I gotta say is that if you get ripped off, start the complaints. I will never be ripped off again. Not without a fight.

Harvie

New in Town
You think that IS bad look at the cell phone sale adds............same with local craigslist and letgo

Samsung S8 and S8 + everyone unlocked and work with all US carriers (ONLY Verizon branded work like this) : shill bidders., stolen accounts, offers for direct sales, etc all 3 or 1 day sale listings

eBay does 0 nothing nada
Paypal does 0 nothing nada

You think that IS bad look at the cell phone sale adds............same with local craigslist and letgo

Samsung S8 and S8 + everyone unlocked and work with all US carriers (ONLY Verizon branded work like this) : shill bidders., stolen accounts, offers for direct sales, etc all 3 or 1 day sale listings

eBay does 0 nothing nada
Paypal does 0 nothing nada
Exactly.
One of mine was an iPhone, one an iPad. I even had email from the buyer that he scammed me which I sent to eBay and they still gave him the refund AND the iPad!
After that, the guy bought another item just so he could put in negative feedback again. I canceled the sale and put it back up, but eBay let his negative feedback stand, with no retort allowed from me.

They all have 0-10 feedback for small items, and you can't block them. I even required immediate payment to filter some idiots but still got hosed. There is no worse pairing than eBay/Paypal today. "Protection" is in place ONLY fo r the buyer, at best.
Sellers get ****ed.

From the elegant design elements, clearly top shelf hide...
IMG_4667.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112