Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay scam

Did you think to offer to let him return it if he pays postage, customs and a restocking fee?

No, because... I didn't think he'd want to, not after such a bogus claim he made. The jacket would have to go all the way back from the States and then probably back again. I swear, I'm limiting my sales only to Europe from now on. I sold most of my stuff there anyway...

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Exact same for me as a seller recently - eBay- dayum. I was out the seller fee of $70 usd plus the shipping, another $50 usd. At least the jacket was in perfect shape returned.

That' also why I never sell on eBay, the 10% seller fee is insanely high imho. I rather have it listed here on TFL and wait a few weeks later plus I can offer it for a better price to my like-minded fellow enthusiasts here who will appreciate my jackets in the way I did.

The jacket returned wasn't your LW Suburban by any chance, though, was it?

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That' also why I never sell on eBay, the 10% seller fee is insanely high imho. I rather have it listed here on TFL and wait a few weeks later plus I can offer it for a better price to my like-minded fellow enthusiasts here who will appreciate my jackets in the way I did.

The jacket returned wasn't your LW Suburban by any chance, though, was it?
Not the Suburban
I actually discovered you can list your jacket on eBay, for a very handsome price, with Buy It Now option. Unlikely to sell for the buy it now price but you enjoy the higher profile search results .
A gentleman saw the Suburban on eBay and the Fedora Lounge. Then we negotiated a price outside eBay. Have done that successfully a few times now. After swallowing eBay shenanigans, finally found a relative cost free use for them.

Not the Suburban
I actually discovered you can list your jacket on eBay, for a very handsome price, with Buy It Now option. Unlikely to sell for the buy it now price but you enjoy the higher profile search results .
A gentleman saw the Suburban on eBay and the Fedora Lounge. Then we negotiated a price outside eBay. Have done that successfully a few times now. After swallowing eBay shenanigans, finally found a relative cost free use for them.
I've done this too. When it works out it's a thing of beauty!

ProteinNerd

I've done this too. When it works out it's a thing of beauty!

How do you go about payment? Are they happy to direct transfer the cash or do you end up getting hit by paypal fees anyway?

I would have thought people would be wary of a direct bank transfer as there is no “protection”.

How do you go about payment? Are they happy to direct transfer the cash or do you end up getting hit by paypal fees anyway?

I would have thought people would be wary of a direct bank transfer as there is no “protection”.
PayPal still offers buyer protection when you invoice for goods (as opposed to the friends and family transfer). It's still a hit but much smaller than the extortion level fees eBay applies. If you build the PayPal fee into the price you're all good.

sweetfights

PayPal still offers buyer protection when you invoice for goods (as opposed to the friends and family transfer). It's still a hit but much smaller than the extortion level fees eBay applies. If you build the PayPal fee into the price you're all good.

Exactly

dan_t

Practically Family

Ummm, unfortunately you’re not.
In case of any ambiguity; You. Are. No. Better. Off. (Seller being protected, that is).

That’s right, if a transaction is done via PayPal &it’s for a ‘goods & services’ transaction, then PayPal buyer protection is alive & kicking.

This is how I got screwed, NOT via eBay.

PayPal doesn’t give a sh#t about the seller - be forewarned.

Ummm, unfortunately you’re not.
In case of any ambiguity; You. Are. No. Better. Off. (Seller being protected, that is).

That’s right, if a transaction is done via PayPal &it’s for a ‘goods & services’ transaction, then PayPal buyer protection is alive & kicking.

This is how I got screwed, NOT via eBay.

PayPal doesn’t give a sh#t about the seller - be forewarned.
This is true. Ultimately the seller is the vulnerable party. The only benefit to the seller going direct via PayPal is avoiding the dreaded final value fee (10%) for PayPal's smaller 3% (if it's still that low, not sure if they are hip to this yet since the eBay/PayPal divorce).

willyto

One Too Many
I've never invoiced anyone nor I hae been invoiced through Paypal. Only Paypal Friends and Family.

I try to choose carefully who I buy from outside of Ebay, Etsy, etc. and so far no problems. Every transaction with loungers has been like that too.

dan_t

Practically Family
The kicker with all of this is;
I do not know of another platform where you can transfer funds across the globe in such a simple way.
Hence, I keep using PayPal - until an alternative is found.
@willyto , PP Friends and Family is a great method, but if you are selling to someone you don't know (off ebay or away from this forum for instance), then as a buyer they get nervous. As all protection for the buyer is completely waived.

I may have missed this being discussed, but I wonder if using "family and friends" would preclude one from getting proper warranty/return/refund service if you had a vendor using it? I'd prefer to see some kind of discount if I did this, but also wonder if I'd lose that security? Sorry if you guys already hit that point...

Fonzie

One Too Many
Any bad experiences selling to other TFL forum members out there?
I’m about to do a big clear out of jackets but I’ve never sold in this forum before, just on EBay, so I’m curious/wary.
Feel free to PM me about this if it’s an inappropriate subject to discuss in public.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProteinNerd

No bad experiences but no luck either, I’ve listed over 10 jackets both here and on eBay and they all sold on eBay....it just has the numbers advantage.

Having said that, I’ve bought 2 jackets here and both were great trouble free experiences.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Personally, nothing but joy buying and selling here.
Not saying a bad experience can't happen, but I'd limit to long-term members and you should be fine!
Anything in a 48? :)

Cheers Butte, sorry but I’m afraid everything I have is on the 40/ Medium range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points