Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elastic Headband Curls

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok so a friend mine of the modern style persuasion, has been talking about no heat curls and head band curls for a few months now. When she first said no heat curls to me I mentioned pin curls, and she sort of laughed and brushed me off. Anyway today we were talking about it again and she told me she saw a version of headband curls that looked vintage http://www.beautylish.com/a/vmnun/no-heat-hairstyles. Anyway I told her that I would try her headband curl thing out if she let me pin curl her hair. So tonight I did her hair for her and sent her on her way and did mine using an elastic headband (a thin one). Here is the sight I figured out how to do it from http://cjackplay.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/how-to-create-headband-curls/ (my hair was damp and I put a quick blast of hairspray on it for hold). I wanted to know if anyone else has tried this and if you have had any luck. Here is what my set looks like, I will post the curls and the finished style tomorrow.

Not so sure about this
headbandcurls004.jpg

headbandcurls003.jpg

headbandcurls002.jpg

best I could get of the back
headbandcurls.jpg

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Can't wait to see your results!

I've attempted this a few times, but it never turns out well for me. The curls are always very weak and I struggle to get all of my hair in at the back. I've seen some beautiful results on other people though. :) Very interested to hear what your friend thinks of pin curls, too!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
So my girlfriend loved the pin curls and wants to learn how to do them I on the other hand did not like what I got so much.
I don't know if I mentioned this last night I have naturally curly hair and my friend has naturally straight hair with tons of body.
here it is fresh out of the head band (very frightening). Like my natural curl but way more unruly
headbandcurls005.jpg

after about 20 or 30 minutes of brushing and tons of hair product. I ended up putting it into a french fishtail braid after this was the best could do with it.
headbandcurls006.jpg

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
hahaha my preference has always been pin-curls for no heat curls :) i have never herd of headband curls though lol i dont think it would work too well with my short bobbed hair hahahaha but i could see how it would work on someone with more straight longer hair though :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Some of the ladies tried this out and posted results in the Hair Tutorials sticky. People seem to have varied results with it, and the good results don't appear to be tied to any type of hair!

I'm a sponge/hot roller girl myself, but I use pin curls in between washes. I tried the headband method once and it came out a little too wonky lol

absinthewilde

New in Town
I recently started using this method and I love it but not for vintage style curls. I still prefer pin curls or rag curls for period looks but the headband gives me really nice Taylor Swift type waves (I'm not a fan of her music but I do think she has really pretty hair). I found that a wider headband works better. The one I use is actually a sweatband.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have tried this a couple of times and both times have come out looking like a bag lady! I think my hair is just too fine and slippery to hold the band properly. If I had longer and thicker hair it'd probably be fine. Some of the results I have seen on here with it are lovely.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I have very thick, very long hair & the hair band technique works really well for me. I find it works best on wet/damp hair though. The results weren't as good when I tried it on dry hair (and slept on it overnight).

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I've been doing this for the last 3 days and I LOVE it so much. It is admittedly not the least bit vintage, but I really hate having straight hair and this is a super quick way to remedy that. This is from today. It was destroyed as soon as I left the house from high humidity :(
VFxMjma.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk