Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC Pearl Harbor Time Worn A2 fit

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
After wearing my Highwayman for such a long time I decided to dig out the A2 (Eastman Pearl Harbor time worn). I love this jacket so much. It looks really good and the time worn really makes it great. The fit concerns me a bit. Although it generally looks okay - arm length, back etc, there is a bit too much leather round the torso. It appears that there is excess space within the jacket.

Does anyone else have this model Eastman? What do you think about this pattern. I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with a size 40 instead of 42? I will try to take a photo perhaps. Any thoughts appreciated.

Maybe someone with the same jacket or a 50 cal could trade if they needed a size up. I'm torn because I love the jacket.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I have the same jacket in a 44 and I agree that the finish is fantastic. I also agree that it is slightly bulky in the torso, more so than my Aero A2, but I like the freedom which allows me to layer underneath the Eastman
My only slight grievance is the collar which sits a little too high and digs upwards iinto my neck a little. I've reworked the collar to a better shape but it still generally sits high for my taste.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I thought it may be a larger cut jacket than some. I may just live with it as I like the jacket so much. Can't decide if its too big or not.

ELCPH.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
you can shrink it soaking it in hot water and putting it in the dryer. See my Tuskegee A-2 topic I just posted -

It should turn out PERFECTLY.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice. I keep changing my mind but may get rid of it. I am just not quite happy with the fit.

Has anyone compared makers sizing?

For example an Eastman 40 might be a Aero 42 or Good Wear 44 - just an example. I guess that is too complicated as there are different patterns by makers which may vary in size.

I have a 40 Wested Indy which fits perfect and a Aero Highwayman 42, also a good fit but my Eastman 42 seems too large. I suppose sizing is one of those problems and why custom made jackets make sense.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Sizing varies considerably among makers. Just peruse some of the other threads here and you will see obvious differences in fit. Look at authentic photos from WW2 and note how some fits are snug and others look like they are twice as roomy as your A2.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I think you'll deduce that the Aero A2 size 44 is about the same size as the Eastman G1 size 42.

The Eastman A2 size 44 seems to be cut quite generously and looking at those photos appears slightly too large for me.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
nicholasb said:
Thanks for the advice. I keep changing my mind but may get rid of it. I am just not quite happy with the fit.

Has anyone compared makers sizing?

For example an Eastman 40 might be a Aero 42 or Good Wear 44 - just an example. I guess that is too complicated as there are different patterns by makers which may vary in size.

I have a 40 Wested Indy which fits perfect and a Aero Highwayman 42, also a good fit but my Eastman 42 seems too large. I suppose sizing is one of those problems and why custom made jackets make sense.
I have found that when I have a sneaking suspicison that a jacket or shirt doesn't fit right - too tight, too small, too long, too big, etc... I am usually right!

I think you answered your own question. This jacket is cut a tad too big in the waist for you. I always thought historical A-2s were cut trim and should hug your waist, most photos from WWII depict them this way. The problem is, most guys nowadays, at least the ones who can afford repro Eastman/Aero jackets are not lean 18 year old depression-era kids. So the patterns are sometimes altered with a rather blousy, balloon cut. That is fine if you're a bit round in the mid-section. But, you are not.

Perhaps you can just get it taken in? If you like it so much, take it to a trusted tailor.

GL.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Pearl Harbor questions

Papa M,
What colour is your Pearl Harbor ?
Is that the Walnut option on the ELC site ?
Can I ask about the collar.
I have heard mixed reports about it.
I am leaning to buying a PH and would appreciate any comments.
Alan

Papa M

A-List Customer
Persimmon said:
What colour is your Pearl Harbor ?
Is that the Walnut option on the ELC site ?

I assume it to be the Walnut (same as Nicholas'). I didn't buy it from Eastman direct so I can't be sure. It is very dark - the photos represent a true colour.

I have re- shaped the collar slightly. It was originally sticking up more and digging upwards into my neck.

regards Martin

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
PH neck

Martin,
How did you reshape it- water and pegging it it shape ?
How was it digging into your neck.
I have heard something similar before.
Is this a design issue.
There is also a .50 cal which is an alternative for me.
Alan

Papa M

A-List Customer
I sprayed water onto it and reformed the fold so that it was not so high in the neck. It worked with one attempt.

I don't think it is a design problem. I see photos of original jackets, some of which seem to have a high collar.

I looked at the .50 Cal with red knits. Very nice. I want one but it is very similar to the Pearl Harbour.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Papa M said:
I think you'll deduce that the Aero A2 size 44 is about the same size as the Eastman G1 size 42.

The Eastman A2 size 44 seems to be cut quite generously and looking at those photos appears slightly too large for me.

Nice jackets. You are size 42 based on these jackets (as am I, and I'd be happy to wear any of them). The Aero looks bigger to me that the G-1. But I repeat the main issue, nice jackets.

Papa M

A-List Customer
tonypaj said:
The Aero looks bigger to me that the G-1.

They feel about the same ( perfect trim fit); and I guess that the bi-swing back business on the G1 makes it seem the same as the Aero even though it is sized smaller.

I'm lucky in that I can get away with wearing quite trim jackets as well as big blousy affairs. Most of the stuff I've bought over the internet has proven to be wearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points