Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC Pearl Harbor Time Worn A2 fit

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I can see Papa M's is a large cut too but it looks okay. I don't like mine on me though, so I have put it in the classifieds. interesting comparison. I may take an Eastman size 40.

Papa M

A-List Customer
nicholasb said:
I can see Papa M's is a large cut too but it looks okay. I don't like mine on me though, so I have put it in the classifieds. interesting comparison. I may take an Eastman size 40.

It's a shame that you don't feel it is right because I think yours looks great on you. If anything it fits you better than mine fits me!

I don't see it in the classifieds. Have you put it there yet?

I'm wondering if it might be better for me than my own?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Papa M said:
Eastman G1 size 42

img2359bp.jpg

is this G1 also in Timeworn FQHH? I really like this jacket!!

Papa M

A-List Customer
djgo-cat-go said:
is this G1 also in Timeworn FQHH? I really like this jacket!!

This is the Eastman G1 which is goatskin. It comes as Timeworn or new. Mine is Timeworn which is slightly more expensive but I actually paid the price of a "new" model.
This jacket sure looks good but the goat is a little like cardboard. It is however gradually softening.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
My Eastman Pearl Harbor is in the classifieds - down the list a bit. I think its a great jacket but something niggles at me. My other jackets (Aero Highwayman, Wested Indy) feel better.

I am liking the G1 style a lot more now than I once did.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rather a long jacket

Eastman A2 Pearl Harbour size 44

img2332e.jpg

img2324d.jpg

img2328o.jpg

img2329z.jpg

img2330g.jpg

img2331a.jpg

the eastman jackets are rather long in the torso wouldn't you say? I have a Cockpit and several Aero, they are all like sit above my belt, only this eastman, like the one you are wearing, sits below or at the belt/hip

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Eastman A2 Pearl Harbour size 44

img2324d.jpg

img2330g.jpg

Looking at these pictures, points out a problem I have noticed with ELC jackets (mine as well as yours in these pictures). The knits are flimsy, and stretch out way too easily. The jacket would probably feel like it would fit better, if they had tighter knits, they would allow the cuffs to be snug, and allow the leather to gather some in the mid arm/elbow area, as well as allow a little "blousing" or whatever it is called at the waist. And it wouldn't just hang straight to the side of your jeans.

Like my Bill Kelso.

P1010447Medium.jpg

P1010444Medium.jpg

I changed the knits on my ELC Roughwear, I got them from Platon at Bill Kelso

Last edited:

regius

Does anyone know how long is Eastman's wait period? I just ordered a jacket, it says 4 weeks, are Eastman jackets each made to order? what does 4 weeks mean? (their patches take four weeks too).

regius

the Aero and Eastman both seem to have one common feature, the body panel doesn't cinch into the waistband. I am not a proponent of the modern day A2, with the potatoed waist area, but the flat joint between the leather and waistband on the Aero jackets bothers me, it kind of nullifies the purpose of the waistband, such that the waist flanks out sideways as well as sticks out at the front. This may be the unique Aero Beacon cut, but it is problematic.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I never knew this until today ! And I thought there was only one size.

With regards to a repo Monarch A-2 jacket , this was also included in the description :

" It's a wartime size 40 & not a modern size 40" !

majormajor

One Too Many
the Aero and Eastman both seem to have one common feature, the body panel doesn't cinch into the waistband. I am not a proponent of the modern day A2, with the potatoed waist area, but the flat joint between the leather and waistband on the Aero jackets bothers me, it kind of nullifies the purpose of the waistband, such that the waist flanks out sideways as well as sticks out at the front. This may be the unique Aero Beacon cut, but it is problematic.

I agree about the waistbands on ELC. The knits go slack very quickly. PapaM's pic is a perfect example:

img2329zx.jpg

I have sold on my ELC A2's for that very reason.

However, I don't have a problem with Aero. I've had my 42-15142P for a couple of years now, and all the knits are tight - the waist cinches perfectly.

One tip - if you are gonna do hot water treatment on an A2, don't get the knits wet. That WILL slacken them:eeek:;)

derleicaman

One of the Regulars

This has always been my problem with ELC A-2 jackets as well. The knits are weak and seem stretched out, even with the new ELC Monarch I purchased from HPA. My Aero was much better with tighter knits. My ELC A-2's seemed to be like an open ended tube in the torso and just didn't fit right. I have not had this problem with my Goodwear A-2 jackets. They fit much better in the waist and arms/sleeves. I sold all of my ELC A-2's on. I tried to learn to love them with at least four jackets, new and used in a one year period. None of them ever fit right on me. Amazing that they seem to have a hard time getting this basic fitment issue right. I have never had any of my Goodwears made for me, having purchased direct from John from his sight or off other forum members, but the fit of the torso has never been a problem or an issue.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a pic of the back of my last ELC (Monarch Warhorse - beautiful hide). As I hope you can see, the knit is pretty much doing nothing, other than hanging off the bottom of the jacket...

monarchbackdetail.jpg

Here's a similar pic of my current (2 years old) Aero 42-15142P, with what, to me, is a much more elastic looking knit, that actually seems to have some effect on the bottom cinch...

aerobackdetail.jpg

Just for completeness, here is the front of the Aero. Again, a nice cinch, particularly at the very front near the zip...

aerofrontdetail.jpg

My apologies for the blurry pics, particularly of the Monarch;)

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Not to sound like a total fool but... have you all made the folks at Eastman aware of this, what I consider at least, major problem with their A2 jackets? Have they responded? Do they visit this forum?

Worf

Foster

One of the Regulars
My Aero-made Bronco is now 5 years old (I have babied it a bit) and the knits still stretch. I've not done the hot water treatment, nor have I intentionally allowed it to get soaked as eventually the wool can lose some of the elasticity. With my background in textiles, I can only speculate that the yarns used in the Eastman knits are not as dense (meaning, less fibers in the yarn, not spun as tightly) based on my comparisons with my Eastman A2. It's a factor of economizing production, not spinning the yarns as tightly making them less dense, using less wool and thereby making the resulting knit less optimal.

thor

One Too Many
And yet an ELC costs the same as the superior Goodwear and more then an Aero. If ELC wants to be considered in the same elite class as other premier makers, they ought to produce better knits. Their cuffs and waistbands have been a detracting issue for years and have not yet been improved.

majormajor

One Too Many
I almost took my ELC Monarch to Aero for some new knits. With hindsight, I wish I had. Other than the knits, it was a fabulous jacket.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto