Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric Fans.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, who here is into the old fans of the 20's to the 50's?

There are so many that were made in those years it's really crazy.

I have a small table top Zero from the early 50's. It works well but I want a larger table top model from the 30's some time soon.

For some reason, nothing says 1930's or 40's then an old fan.

Root.

PS. One I'm looking for is a late 30's GE Vortex like this one here.

gefan0ic.jpg

Zach R.

Practically Family
I have one in the attic that my grandfather gave to me that his father gave to him(he told me it was from the mid-thirties).

It doesn't look as nice as the one in that picture, but its a similar GE model that doesn't have such a pronounced curve in the blades that that one does.

I'll get it out and snap some pics on a cooler day(I'd bet the attic is 130 degrees right now).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You can see one here

In this previously posted pic, you can see the fan in my living room. Not sure even what it is.
The fan and hat rest on my humidor, which is sitting on my early '20's Victrola model 210.

bors_done.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Keep an eye out for Westinghouse fans, I have one that is a nice streamlined tear drop shape that I believe is from the late 30's to just before the War, that goes well with 30's Deco furniture.

I also have a earlier fifteen inch dia. GE that really moves air, when you crank it up to the high speed, it sounds like an airplane running up it's prop.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Westinghouse! I believe I know the model you're talking about! Is it this one perhaps?

10sq3s.jpg

10sq3f.jpg

10sq3b.jpg

Here is a link for you all to see more and learn more about vintage/antique electric fans! http://www.fancollectors.org/

I'm looking for the late 30's GE Vortelux I pictured and aslo this mid 1930's Roto-Beam or Air-Beam... Can you say Art Deco!

airbf.jpg

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
airbf.jpg

Well, I just got this fan. The one pictured isn't my fan, but it's the same model. It's a late 1930's Air-Beam made in Chicago. Roto-Beam's are much the same as Air-Beam's. Not to much is known about the two brands but, maybe I'll find out more later.

Any way, just wanted to share the good news!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I have been to this store. They have a few locations here in CA.

The repro fans some times cost more then an original plus, you're not getting a piece of history. ;)

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
True, but it's a working alternative for those on the board that might not be able to be lucky enough to find a pristine vintage fan. So I thought I'd just throw the link out there.

Wild Root

Gone Home
ITG said:
True, but it's a working alternative for those on the board that might not be able to be lucky enough to find a pristine vintage fan. So I thought I'd just throw the link out there.

That's mighty thoughtful of you ITG! Some may choose to run with a “Retro look� instead of going with the real article seeing that these originals are not as safe to use if there are young kids around like: Aaaah, Mommy, my hand!

Original fans are every where! I see at least 5 or more at antique shops! They made plenty of them back in the day but yes, some of the real sought after ones are not as easy to find. But, however, I have looked on ebay and have seen plenty wonderful fans that no one bids on. And most of which work and are in good shape! And with a low starting bid as well! It just takes time to look through the pages on ebay and most will find how easy it can be to buy vintage any thing.

For me, the originals offer a more authentic feel and look and heck, they just run smooth and sound cool. Fact is that they will out last most things made today! Some I find have been working since the day they left the factory! They don’t make them like they used to!

As for Restoration Hardware, they make some very good parts for the home restorer! Great place but, some things are very high priced!!! Replicating vintage goods is not a cheap thing!

Any way, I’ll post some photos of my new toy soon,

Root.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Westinghouse! I believe I know the model you're talking about! Is it this one perhaps?

The Westinghouse I have is a little more streamlined, and very Deco looking....the only change to it was a recent swap of fan blades from a later Westinghouse, when the orig. metal blades started to show some fatigue cracks at the hub.

I've seen those retro-repros, interesting looking, and I'm sure much safer to be around little kiddo's. The 15" GE I have, could never be marketed today with it's really strong motor, metal blades, and a fairly open blade cage that would be a lawyer's dream.

The originals will probably outlast the repros by several lifetimes.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I was actually mistaken when I said my fan was a mid-40s GE earlier(I hadn't seen it for years). It is, in fact, a circa 1920s 12 inch Oscillating Emerson 29646 3 speed, it is like the one in this picture except mine has both brass blades, a brass cage and is black. That sucker is heavy too, made out of cast iron. Makes you wonder why they would even need holes for securing it with screws. :p

Em29646mb1.jpg

I spent almost four hours cleaning the grime and dust out of this fan to make it sparkle and gleam like the one in that picture, but boy was it worth it. :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool! I have a friend who has an Emerson from the 20's! He loves that fan!

Screw holes were placed at the bottom of the base to offer the owner the option to mount it on the wall over a stove or in a crowded room were there was no place to put it. They are heavy and I’m sure it took some strong screws or nails to hold such a thing to the wall!

I just polished my Air-Beam and here are some photos of it.

1141429img0fq.jpg

Now, on!

1141430img9sb.jpg

Sure would like to see your Emerson!

Root.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
I was actually mistaken when I said my fan was a mid-40s GE earlier(I hadn't seen it for years). It is, in fact, a circa 1920s 12 inch Oscillating Emerson 29646 3 speed, it is like the one in this picture except mine has both brass blades, a brass cage and is black. That sucker is heavy too, made out of cast iron. Makes you wonder why they would even need holes for securing it with screws. :p

Em29646mb1.jpg

I spent almost four hours cleaning the grime and dust out of this fan to make it sparkle and gleam like the one in that picture, but boy was it worth it. :D

Nice Emerson, one of the best models they ever made! I have one as well, it's all original and never polished... toying with the idea of polishing it... not sure if I will though... it has a wonderful patina... oh, what to do.:D

I'm a sucker for the famous Emerson "Parker blades"... good stuff!

FM~

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well it's the time of year for fans....

I was looking at Target yesterday and came across some great retro-styled fans that some of you might appreciate.

516AYJXNAKL._SS384_.jpg

51RNMD1AG5L._SS384_.jpg

51ZF0ixWs5L._SS384_.jpg

513DizarqLL._SS384_.jpg

and the best for last:
51W-367VJTL._SS384_.jpg

51ZRk818ggL._SS384_.jpg

Minerva

Familiar Face
Oooh, I remember those metal fans! My father refused to be parted from his, even after my mother went and bought a bunch of cheap plastic ones.

What's funny is that the metal ones still worked at my last check and the cheap plastic ones have been replaced several times over. Noisy as all get-out, but at least they worked.

freebird

Practically Family
scotrace said:
In this previously posted pic, you can see the fan in my living room. Not sure even what it is.
The fan and hat rest on my humidor, which is sitting on my early '20's Victrola model 210.

bors_done.jpg

I picked up a large fan that looks like yours, from what I can see of it. I believe it's an emerson. I gave 14 for it and a vintage ash tray (36 inches tall, looks like cedar)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points