Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric Fans.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Wizard" was a Western Auto house brand -- I've got one of those in my kitchen, and they're very nice quality for an inexpensive fan.

Any idea as to the age of the one I have? I can't find any markings other than the name "Wizard".

Bugguy

Practically Family
I've been collecting fans for while, but mainly learning as much as I can about them. I have an old Westinghouse from 1910'ish that runs on DC. In researching it, I came across a picture of that model on display at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. I was all motivated to have it restored, but other obligations have gotten in the way. The sticker price on a restored model is significant, but it will take an investment. My first is my favorite - a small, all brass Trojan.

I wish mine looked like this...

Fan Photo 3. Science and Industry Museum.jpg

Instead...

DSC_0002.JPG

This is still worth $$ as is. Its hard to believe, but I have AFCA collectors PM'ing me. They're good folk and it will probably go that way.

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
I know it definitely varies on condition and age, but I'm wondering if it's better to get these fans somewhere in person, such as a flea market, than Etsy or eBay, or is $100 + a fair and reasonable price on fans like these? I'm not really well versed in their value (although I suppose the old adage is true that it's worth whatever someone will pay for it). I love old fans like these, but $100-$200 for a small fan is a bit steep for me…For those who have them, do they cool very well or not as well as modern counterparts? I don't have A.C., so I do rely pretty heavily on fans to get through the hot, humid months.

il_570xN.675580320_3eug.jpg

$148 + shipping, here

il_570xN.653696904_rxeq.jpg

$175, here

il_570xN.627131157_3qj4.jpg

$135 + shipping, here

Lady B, I couldn't tell you if those are good prices or not, but they are all nice looking and seem to be in good shape. As for cooling, the old ones are just as good as the new ones.
2dd86bc59e986e2808a79ba9ba69ebcc.jpg
88ea1b13e94e5f76403108e9aa3adb8d.jpg

Here's some pics of mine. It was my grandparents, so I got it for free. It works great, but doesn't get a lot of use these days. Those old style guards don't offer much deterrent for curious little fingers.

Last edited:

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Thanks, dh66! Good to know that they're just as good at cooling. For me, depending on fans and not have central a.c., helps make the higher price tag more of a reasonable investment, haha. I mean, if I'm going to be dependent on fans, at least they can look beautifully industrial. Love your fan and so awesome you got it for free from your grandparents! My grandfather was a pack rat, my mother and I moved him out of his house that he'd lived in for 40 years, when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I only wish I had been into these things then or could go back and have a do over now, because I'm sure there were many wonderful vintage and antique things around the house that we just threw out or gave away.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Lady Baltimore - I've recently started chasing vintage fans - as noted in my post above. The price varies all over the map depending on condition and relative scarcity. The purist will tell you that the oscillating case needs to be cleaned out and re-packed and then on and on till you've spent a small fortune. The folks that restore them can do a great job and they're beautiful and work better than new. Some will be sold, but most are collected for their unique look.

I belong to a group (AFCA) that rivals the FL for fan passion. They maintain wiring schematics that go back before the turn-of- the- century - 1900, and recognize every nuance and change over the years (sound familiar?). I didn't see a listing for the Monitor, nor the Hunter with the GE cage. I suspect the Hunter is from 1940, or a year or two earlier by the model no. the seller listed. I guess I like the Wagner the best. It should date to ~1932-34. It's nice and heavy and would look great cleaned up. If it was me, however, I'd leave it as is and enjoy a better breeze that you can buy today.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We call that a learning experience here. :p Actually my sons have never gotten the idea in their head that sticking your finger in there is a good idea. lol lol

Every idiot knows you never stick your finger in an electric fan or light socket. That's what tongues are for! :tongue:

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me, Bugguy! I definitely am a more "leave as is" kind of person and also restorations can really jack up the price (and I don't have the know how to do it myself). I really should look for these in person though, the shipping is a bit brutal, seeing as these are so heavy. Thanks again!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Old fans move plenty of air but are noisy especially on high speed. Most have only one speed or 2 at the most.

Best place to get them is local yard sales, thrift stores, auctions etc. They turn up in old neighborhoods and small towns and farm sales where people have room to store old junk.

Very little will put you to sleep faster than the noise of an old fan on a hot summer day. Especially if you have a few ice cold gin and tonics while listening to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk