Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots Crisis!

Jkohl

New in Town
Hi, i'm new to posting on this forum but have done quite a lot of reading.

Having deliberated and obsessed over engineer boots for some time, i took the leap and bought a pair from a British designer who does short runs of clothes / shoes called Simon James Cathcart (his stuff is great)! .

The wait for the UK made Engineers was a long one, so you can imagine how excited i was to finally get them just 2 days ago. Until i tried them on!

I have tried various sock / insole combinations, and the fit just seems to be wrong.

They feel too big, with a lot of heel lift (which i've read isn't uncommon in new boots), but too small at the toes - my toes end up hitting the front, as if the boot is leaning forward, due to the heel i guess. So they feel both too big and too small in a sense.

They are lovely boots, but they also look strangely small on! They are a UK 6, i usually wear 6.5 so decide to size down by half - i dont think any bigger would work and better for my foot either.

Do they just need wearing in?! Has anyone else experienced this issue, worn them, did they soften up and become the most comfortable boots ever?!

Or do i just need to throw in the towel and search for a pair that better fit my feet?

If so, any suggestions - or do i need to go the super pricey route of getting a pair hand made?

Thanks!
J

Gav

Practically Family
Doesn't sound like they will work out for you.
wesco will build you a boot from tracings and measurements or advise on the best off the shelf size.
Brian the bookmaker will custom build a boot for you.
Both pricey options I'm afraid. Try going to a proper shoe maker to at least get advice on your foot size and shape.
Attractions in my opinion make one of the best shaped engineers.

wdw

One Too Many
I have two pairs of Wesco engineers and they're both kinda tight over the arch, but my toes don't touch the front and I have minimal heel lift. I took a punt on the sizing online, but they worked for me with no issues over having to try all sorts of things to make them work. They're just boots and shouldn't need all sorts of special treatment or long breaking in.

It sounds like yours simply don't fit. Good luck in sorting it out.

Jkohl

New in Town
Doesn't sound like they will work out for you.
wesco will build you a boot from tracings and measurements or advise on the best off the shelf size.
Brian the bookmaker will custom build a boot for you.
Both pricey options I'm afraid. Try going to a proper shoe maker to at least get advice on your foot size and shape.
Attractions in my opinion make one of the best shaped engineers.

Thanks for your feedback - good to know not to keep persevering with them and that this isnt how they are mean to be feeling.

I actually sent Brian the Bootmaker an email today, i live in the UK so shipping fees would be an extra ad on.
I'll have a look at Attractions now, i hadn't heard of them

Jkohl

New in Town
I have two pairs of Wesco engineers and they're both kinda tight over the arch, but my toes don't touch the front and I have minimal heel lift. I took a punt on the sizing online, but they worked for me with no issues over having to try all sorts of things to make them work. They're just boots and shouldn't need all sorts of special treatment or long breaking in.

It sounds like yours simply don't fit. Good luck in sorting it out.

Thanks for this, i had a look at Wescos site today and sent them a message regarding a pair of factory seconds from there site, Morrisons not Engineers but they look pretty nice. The AA width may be tight though!

wdw

One Too Many
@Jkohl, have you factored in Brian's cost plus import duty, not to mention the pound's recent fall? I think he's about $1,300 (£1,000 at today's rate), then you'd have a very high chance of getting hit for over 20% tax and duty.

There must surely be a cheaper way. You could literally fly to the US and buy OTR Wesco, White's or Chippewa for that, plus be sure of a size that fits.

As for sizing, I'm a UK10 in Tricker's Stows and any other boot, with the Wesco US11D fitting just the same, so just be very sure of your size before you throw any more dosh at this.

Last edited:

Jkohl

New in Town
@wdw, i wasn't aware of Brians prices, only messaged him today. As much as i'd love to spend that on a boot, you're right in that i could jump on a flight to the US, or buy a pair of each other brands you mentioned for the same price!
I think i've just gotta go and get my feet properly measured as @handymike suggested. I did speak with Simon (the guy who made the boots) about sizing quite a bit before and we decided that would be the correct size for me given the construction.

wdw

One Too Many
Ha, @Jkohl, for Brian's prices you could fly to the US AND buy decent boots for the same price. I think Wesco Boss are only $420 there. Before Brexit, that was only about £270, which is why I got two pairs plus Wesco Jobmasters.

Jkohl

New in Town
@wdw just checking out Wescos' site, looks like they start in a US8 so the custom would be the only option for me. Salivating at the build you own tool they have on their website but again its pricey! If only i'd had Brexit foresight id have stocked up on boots!

Gav

Practically Family
Yeah the exchange rate sucks for us now.
Attractions will set you back about £600 probably, they are doing preorders and they sell out quick, and they don't offer different widths. So unless you are confident that you will like them and the last works for you, it is a risk.
If you are near London, get down to jermyn street or similar and get measured at tricker or c&j etc and get to know your sizing. Maybe try on some Alden or redwing at a stockist to get an idea of us sizing. Lots of people compare sizing of boots to the good old Alden Indy or redwing 875
Having said all that, There is no better way than to send your foot tracing and measurements to wesco, Baker's, or whites to guarantee a good fit.

wdw

One Too Many
Check out www.boot.com

He seems to do stock Wesco Boss from size US7/UK6. I bought three pairs from him and he was extremely helpful. He also ships worldwide.

Jkohl

New in Town
@Gav salivating over Attractions boots and clothing right now, theyve got some great stuff. I'm assuming their sizing is US on their website which means they do stock a UK 6 in the boot i'm looking at. Whether or not the last would work for me is hard to say without trying them on.

I'll go to one of the stores you mentioned (maybe the Red Wing store near Carnaby Street) and try to get some proper foot measurements. Perhaps if i sent them to Attractions they could inform me if they'd work for my foot.

@wdw thanks for the headsup, i'll check out his site now!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I'm in the same position with my Engineers and the 'feel too big and too small at the same time' issue.

Gav

Practically Family
For what it's worth my attractions are the best fitting engineers that I have tried (have had wesco and whites before). Wesco boss didn't work well off the shelf with my high instep and whites nomad fit quite sloppily.
Attractions are a bit more dress boot shaped so they fit fairly snug and the toe is narrower and flattish. The heel is snug with minimal slip for me when new and none at all now. The strap is well placed to really tighten up the instep too.
They are however very difficult to pull on and off when new due to the narrow shaft. I remember sweating away first time thinking there was no way they would fit, but then they pop on and all is good with the world again.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They are very nice, but you're looking at £600 all-in to get them in the UK. I understand Aero may be bringing their biker boot back later this year, it might be worth hanging on for them - my Jarrow Marchers are among my most comfortable shoes.

Gav

Practically Family
Yes well nobody said they were cheap. I paid nearer £450 for mine and went to the attractions store in harajuku though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points