Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

rev_rend

New in Town
Let me know what you come up with on that Rev_rend. I'd be interested to know. I compared with some measurements that White's uses and it looked like sizing down might be a good idea but I haven't actually measured any of my boots yet.

White's SD, Nicks, and Frye Artisinal engineers at 9.5 all measured 28cm. Widths varied but were a bit wider than on the size chart above.

Part of me thinks I should amend my order and go down to the 8. But I can always adjust with an insole if the 9 is too big. Not sure what to do.

rev_rend

New in Town
Just measured my 10EE Lucchese ropers and 9.5E WWII Impressions boondockers as well. They're ~29cm in length. A bit large on me, but the latter especially is perfect with a superfeet green insert.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lonewolf engineer boots brown Horween CXL just arrived. I bought them second hand unused as these are no longer available. Had I not already bought these, I would have considered SJC Acorn.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Lonewolf engineer boots brown Horween CXL just arrived. I bought them second hand unused as these are no longer available. Had I not already bought these, I would have considered SJC Acorn.

Beautiful! I wish this color was still available.

Here's a pic of me at Inspiration wearing my Clinch boots. I swear I'll get decent pics of these and my lofgrens soon :D

xY2xhfe.jpg

casechopper

I have a pair of White's Hathorn Open Road engineers that feel slightly loose in a size 9.5ee. I measured the insole insert that comes with it and it measures slightly less than 29 by 9 wide. From the measurements it seems like these engineers will be very wide while the length should be about a half size longer than marked. So a 9uk should something like a 10eeee in dress shoes or a 9.5ee in many work boots. I might go ahead and jump in for a size 9UK and fill in the extra width with a thick insert.

rev_rend

New in Town
I might go ahead and jump in for a size 9UK and fill in the extra width with a thick insert.

That's where I'm leaning. A snug fit is good with pull on boots and all, but engineers are a little more forgiving with the strap. And if the volume is high enough, a superfeet green insert would make these killer.

casechopper

Just as a side question. What is it about these boots that draws you too them as compared to boots from the mainline manufacturers like Chippewa, Red Wing etc...

rev_rend

New in Town
Just as a side question. What is it about these boots that draws you too them as compared to boots from the mainline manufacturers like Chippewa, Red Wing etc...

I've never had Red Wing fit me correctly and have had some kind of gripe with every pair of Chippewa I've owned. Also, with Red Wing, I always figure I can spend a little more and get something I'll like a lot better. With the SJC, it's actually cheaper. And I've liked every Northampton-made shoe I've ever owned.

kenucklehead

Familiar Face
Looking for some suggestions on some new Engineer boots. I'm looking for something more vintage looking and would love some Lofgrens. However, I think they're currently out of my price range. I'm okay to spend around $500-$600 Cdn max (which sucks because the Canadian dollar is doing so poorly at the moment). I would go Viberg as they're relatively local but they're not doing any customizations anymore and I find their stock boots too wide around the instep. I have some Wescos but had a huge problem dealing with their staff last year so I'm done with buying new products from them. I've been researching other options, many from Japan, and while they're close to what I'm looking for, at this point, they're all too expensive.

I was eyeing Frye Artisanal Engineers but the photos of these boots are very inconsistent (see below). Some make them look absolutely amazing (left) while others look very "off the shelf" (right). I'm wondering if there are any options out there that I haven't considered which may be worth investigating. If cost wasn't an issue, these are my top considerations, just to give you an idea of the look I want to find:

John Lofgren
Attractions
Rolling Dub Trio (although the toe is a bit more bulbous than I'd want)

Here are the Frye's I'm eyeing. If you have any experience with these or any photos of your boots after some wear, I'd appreciate some feedback.
artisanal.jpg

Thanks.
Ken

tropicalbob

I've had a lot of luck with Fryes, but with the two sets of photos above I'd say that the ones on the left are simply better-produced advertising photos.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to hold off and see how your's turn out. It sounds like we have a similar foot size.
If you do end up holding out, do know that the future price won't be as appealing :)

I went with the UK8. Generally UK+1 = US sizing. The width of these look to be an EE or so, which should be perfect. My Lone Wolf are a US9 (27cm Japanese). The insoles of the SJC are said to be 28cm which if the Lone Wolf truly are a 27 is only .39in bigger, which is perfect for wiggle room.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
As for the previous roughout boots I posted, they are Lone Wolf.

Nice purchase Blackladder - did you find them on Rakuten or Auctions? I was trying to find Lone Wolf in that color but only saw ones here and there in the wrong sizes

Blackadder

As for the previous roughout boots I posted, they are Lone Wolf.

Nice purchase Blackladder - did you find them on Rakuten or Auctions? I was trying to find Lone Wolf in that color but only saw ones here and there in the wrong sizes
Thanks, I bought them from Auction. To be honest, the Horween brown CXL is not my most favourite shade of brown. Nowadays, many makers are buying natural leather and hand dye them to make their own shades of brown and many of them looks more appealing to me.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Beautiful! I wish this color was still available.

Here's a pic of me at Inspiration wearing my Clinch boots. I swear I'll get decent pics of these and my lofgrens soon :D

Thanks. This pair of Lonewolf is sort of a bargain whilst your Clinch and Lofgren are two of the highest quality engineer boots I have ever seen in person but also very pricey. I often wonder if I should be glad that neither Clinch nor Lofgren fits me, LOL.

Blackadder

LOL I've tried to get info about the Clinch boots but they are slow to respond.
I guess one has to be very patient when dealing with Clinch. Two of my friends put in their orders at around the same time last year. They only ask for payment when boots are ready to be shipped. One got his boots awhile ago, the other still hasn't received a word about when his will be finished. The delivery time so far ranges from 4-8 months (6 months +/-2). With Clinch, there is really no way to estimate the delivery time.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Right - I am surprised I got my brass buckles from them..took a bit of back and forth..

I think I am going to hold off on boots for now. Ideally I'd sell both my Lone Wolf, and buy a pair of HTC ones..but I don't see that happening.
I may take my White's Nomads to the cobbler to get the shaft taken in a bit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto