Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Very nice! But you really gotta wear those puppies like they owe you money, cus my boots look like that after about 2 to 3 months and I have 11 pairs!

I don't know what you're doing with yours but this is the result just by wearing them.

I waxed them just 1 time since I got them.

A-1

One Too Many
I don't know what you're doing with yours but this is the result just by wearing them.

I waxed them just 1 time since I got them.

But I also have to say that these look like new. But great!
However it depends on how and when you’re wearing them. I’m wearing mine always. Meaning when it’s raining cats and dogs, when I’m walking through knee-high wet grass, when I’m walking through mud, cutting grass, doing work in the house and on my job. Just always.
When you wear them to town, sitting in a café, going shopping and going to the movies, they will hardly look beaten up, even after 10 years, I guess.
I like them new, too. But I love them beaten up!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Well, I wear them everyday during winter but I don't want to look like I can't afford a new pair because they look way beaten up.

Based on photos I have seen, I know if I were to wear your boots at work it would be frown upon and I would itch to clean them up. [emoji16]

Even my Alden 405 are well taken care after 10 years.

I guess I have been raise to always have clean shoes and in good condition. I know my parents makes remarks if it's not the case. [emoji6]

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, I wear them everyday during winter but I don't want to look like I can't afford a new pair because they look way beaten up.

Based on photos I have seen, I know if I were to wear your boots at work it would be frown upon and I would itch to clean them up. [emoji16]

Even my Alden 405 are well taken care after 10 years.

I guess I have been raise to always have clean shoes and in good condition. I know my parents makes remarks if it's not the case. [emoji6]

Even if I haven't polished them, I will always wipe any mud off the heel of a pair of boots before I wear them out. I tend to think of wear in terms of nice creasing, the depth of colour and lustre you get when you've polished them over time. It also extends the life of the leather, which can only be a good thing when you're blowing $£$£$£$ on shoes.
This pair of boots were half-dead when I got them, but a few coats of Red Wing shoe cream and Kiwi Parade Gloss and a bit of elbow grease brought them right up and given them a second life. They're great in really bad weather - lot of traction and the thick sole insulates my feet from the cold.

kenucklehead

Familiar Face
Okay, so a few years ago, I bought some Viberg Engineers in natural Chromexel. I really liked the quality of the boots but they didn't quite fit right. For some reason, they were too wide and the right boot was actually about a 1/4" wider (which was a bigger problem as that is my smaller foot).

I went years wearing them by stacking insoles but they just never felt right. I reached out to Brian at Role Club but just couldn't justify the $400 to relast $800 boots.

Someone here posted a relast job done by Baker's/Drew's boots so I decided to reach out to them for a quote. Well, a few months later, I got my boots back and they did a fantastic job. Fit is much improved and when I got them back, they had cleaned them up so well, I could have sworn they replaced the uppers (they didn't). Looked almost new again!

I made some changes by having Vibram half soles put in. The last they just (Semi-dress/Bounty Hunters?) have a bit more of a prominent toe but I don't mind so much simply because they fit so nicely. There's also a nicer overall shape to the boots (IMHO) as I always thought the Vibergs looked a bit "bulbous" (likely because of the loose fit).

Anyway, thank you Brandon and the team from Baker's/Drew's. Love your work!

Here are some before and afters:

relast1.jpg

relast2.jpg

relast3.jpg

relast4.jpg

Congratulations - one of life's smaller-big irritants is ill-fitting shoes or boots. That you were able to repair that for a reasonable cost is wonderful. Enjoy your, now, fitting-well boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk