Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Dav

One Too Many
Same for me Edward, I'm a UK 9 and always find a US 10 works better then a 9.5. So based on that, I'm a 10 in Whites/Wesco and took a US 10 with the Lofgrens, which has worked out a treat.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info. I'll report back on the fit. I've never had problems with shoes and going up or down a whole size so I'm hoping these work out. I asked elmc snd they said i made the best choice fit wise.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Red Wings. Throughout the decades they have always maintained about three skus of engineer boots in their catalogues, is it accurate to say not much as changed (well, if adding steel toe is "not much")? i can't find any images of vintage Red Wings that are not the common 2268.

Blackadder

For information only. Went to Attractions yesterday and found a pair of overdye black steer engineer that does not seem to be listed on their website. The price is between the Lot 268 and lot 269 at around 73,000 yen before tax.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
lHhT9xBh.jpg

Mine came in today. They fit real nice on my feet. Nevermind the scuff marks at the top. I had to use pliers to get them on the first time. No pull loops :/ And i thought my cowboy boots were hard getting on the first time... anyways my jeans will be covering the tops and i go by the philosophy that leather is made to be treated roughly.

I put them on and then soaked my feet in a tub of hot war for 30 minutes then wore them all day.

regius

Mine came in today. They fit real nice on my feet. Nevermind the scuff marks at the top. I had to use pliers to get them on the first time. No pull loops :/ And i thought my cowboy boots were hard getting on the first time... anyways my jeans will be covering the tops and i go by the philosophy that leather is made to be treated roughly.

I put them on and then soaked my feet in a tub of hot war for 30 minutes then wore them all day.
What is the basis of that? Although tough boots are to withstand the elements, purposely soak in water fully submerged is not good for the construction, especially the glue and the metals. The nails are galvanized but one it dries, the welt, sole, bed, every freaking part will wrinkle and shrink differently, then the stitch will be crooked. It's still together and strong, but not recommended. Didn't.t it not fit or something? Why not use boot shaft stretcher?

Gav

Practically Family
I remember being recommended the old soak and wear trick one time. I tried it on a pair of wesco boss and it didn't help me much.

As for getting them on, plastic bags help when new engineer boots are hard to get on.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
What is the basis of that? Although tough boots are to withstand the elements, purposely soak in water fully submerged is not good for the construction, especially the glue and the metals. The nails are galvanized but one it dries, the welt, sole, bed, every freaking part will wrinkle and shrink differently, then the stitch will be crooked. It's still together and strong, but not recommended. Didn't.t it not fit or something? Why not use boot shaft stretcher?
it makes the leather form around your feet and definitely breaks it in a good bit including the midsole and foot bed. I applied some oil once they were almost dried. I've never had problems doing this even though some say too much can go wrong. I've yet to see a high quality leather boot ruined by getting it wet and walking it dry.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I remember being recommended the old soak and wear trick one time. I tried it on a pair of wesco boss and it didn't help me much.

As for getting them on, plastic bags help when new engineer boots are hard to get on.
yea i did this today and it helps a lot.

Were your boots ruined? I've heard people say stuff can go wrong bur I've yet to see a boot ruined by getting it wet. It usually gets wet eventually if yoy go out hiking and walk through some creeks in the summer.

Gav

Practically Family
No damage at all as far as I could tell. A bit of water couldn't harm a pair of wesco boss! They were just as uncomfortable afterwards though.
the guys at Trickers once told me some of their customers swear by it too.

The only difference is that i filled them with water until good and soaked then emptied and put the boots on, rather than soaking the boots on your feet. This is how it was described to me.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Indeed. TBH, it would seem somewhat odd to me to spend that kind of money on outdoor boots, then be unable to risk getting them wet....

I actually have to eat a bit of crow lol. For the first time ever from my personal experience water affected my new boots.

The leather heel insole started to peel up when taking off my new Lofgren boots. I pulled them off and just applied some leather cement to glue them back down (cost $6).

So that happened, for the first time lol. I guess that's the worst that could happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk