Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esther Weis Millinery

EstherWeis

Vendor
That looks a lot like a Campaign Hat. Very nice!

However, my favorite is
BJFoJNWBgQu

The color and shape are just great.

Very good work.

Fed

Thank you.
That's very sweet of you to say but I can't seem to open the last picture you posted.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Esther made a hat for me last year but I realize that I have never posted in this thread. Because I never get tired of speaking about this wonderful hat then I wanted to share it with the photos below !!

This is a custom work made of TONAK rabbit felt with a " glathaar" (smooth) finish, as Esther explained to me. Poor Esther I a very precise idea of what I wanted and I can't say that I truly help develop her creative side... However, I have to say this was a first for me and I'm rather proud of the result ! I chose not to have any liner because I can easily sweat but I have to say that this red is fantastic!

In fact, oddly enough, I stumbled upon this FL thread this weekend and realized that my hat looks a lot like this Champ model which, I swear, I had never seen before !! To be honest I had the Stetsonian in fawn color in mind but with various modifications.

I have slightly reshaped it and the brim is not more straight like on the table picture.

If I were rich I'd order Esther a hat a week because she's done an amazing job for me.

5f9f5f1d2af436dea1eefa7a82d1d0e7.jpg

aaadfb5904e45fdc909c0ce1a87e0bab.jpg

fEH4qjR.jpg

spMTlvQ.jpg

sPqJ0u4.jpg

Last edited:

EstherWeis

Vendor
Well.
It was a case of to bind or not to bind.
Great to hear you feel more at peace Andrew. ;)

In all honesty, even my father who passed by my shop on Monday was intrigued by this hat. I wouldn't call him a western hat lover in the slightest.
It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

I'm sure the owner will be pretty pleased with this one. I will put up a pic of the inside too. I has a burgundy handmade silk liner and black sweat.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Hi all,

Esther made a hat for me last year but I realize that I have never posted in this thread. Because I never get tired of speaking about this wonderful hat then I wanted to share it with the photos below !!

This is a custom work made of TONAK rabbit felt with a " glathaar" (smooth) finish, as Esther explained to me. Poor Esther I a very precise idea of what I wanted and I can't say that I truly help develop her creative side... However, I have to say this was a first for me and I'm rather proud of the result ! I chose not to have any liner because I can easily sweat but I have to say that this red is fantastic!

In fact, oddly enough, I stumbled upon this FL thread this weekend and realized that my hat looks a lot like this Champ model which, I swear, I had never seen before !! To be honest I had the Stetsonian in fawn color in mind but with various modifications.

I have slightly reshaped it and the brim is not more straight like on the table picture.

If I were rich I'd order Esther a hat a week because she's done an amazing job for me.

fEH4qjR.jpg

spMTlvQ.jpg

sPqJ0u4.jpg

Thanks Gee! Glad to hear you still enjoy it so much.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
A couple of years ago, I was after a specific fedora, and I found what I was looking for at The Village Hat Shop in San Diego CA. But to be sure, about colour, sizing and international mailing costs, I called the shop. Their customer service was second to none, I was confident to give them my order, so thanking them I said that I would be in touch.

Technology, as in computer science, just seems to go over my head. Computers, TV program recorders, Sat-navs, smart phones, you name it. The world has left me behind. Then you have instant communication, social media, e-mail, add to that you have instant payment methods using credit cards, paypal and a plethora of other ways, it just frazzles my brain. When I bought my last hat from Esther, I used my wife's paypal account, and what a pig's ear I made of it, so much so that I short changed the lady quite considerably. So I just went into my Post Office, bought the amount of Euros that I owed her, and sent the money off. It might be stone age, but it still works.

Let me go back to The Village Hat Shop. They gave me a total price to include P&P. I went into my Post Office, bought the US dollars, slid them into a small scan resistant envelope and placed them in a greeting card with a message from me, as well as my mailing address. 72 hours later a phone call from them confirmed receipt, they dispatched the hat the same day and three days after that, it arrived. I sent a thank you card, to which, I pasted a photo of me wearing my new hat, which they received a couple of days later. Some time after that I heard that the snail mail episode had been put up on Facebook, don't ask me how, or even why.

Have you kept up with me? It's not difficult really, this wrinkly tends to do things slowly. Tina, that's my wife Tina, who makes my shirts and much else besides, has bought a few yards of fabulous chocolate brown material to make a fish-tailed, high waist, pair of late 30's style trousers to co-ordinate with a blazer of mine. I need a hat to go with the ensemble. Esther will be making the hat. She needs a swatch of material to see exactly what colour the pants will be, so whilst I'm sending her that, she's getting paid the stone age way. I will leave it to her to keep you up to speed on the hat. In the meantime, here's the way I always like to pay. Posted on the 2nd of May, Esther.

I can say you make up for not having all that techno knowledge as you are one hell of a great person and gentlemen!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi all,

fEH4qjR.jpg

spMTlvQ.jpg

sPqJ0u4.jpg
Amazing! And you look fantastic wearing that hat!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's a great story and excellent penmanship.
Thank you for the compliment, very kind of you. There's an amusing postscript to my ignorance of technology. My neighbour knocked on my door one evening and asked if I knew how the binary system worked. "What a strange question," I said. It was her son's homework, apparently the young fellow was all but beating himself up over it. "Hold on a minute while I get my schoolbook." This blew her away. "You have your schoolbook?" I just smiled, no point telling her that I throw nothing away.

Her son looked a bit red rimmed around the eyes, so I got him to put his homework away. We talked about football, his team had lost. We talked about his girlfriend, she had finished with him last week. "You're having a tough time," I said. We talked further about TV shows, school and his progress. Once I thought his mind was cleared I simply said that the binary system can be confusing because we are so used to counting to ten. We learned counting to ten at the same time as we learned to read and write, that's why it's so ingrained in us. Showing him my book and some mathematical problems, I carefully explained how to work the binary system. I did a problem, solved it, explained how I had solved it. Then working out the answer in advance and writing it down, then placing it upside down in front of him. "Now you try," I encouraged, "Ask questions if you don't understand," I added. He came up with an answer, turned my piece of paper over. "They match," he exclaimed triumphantly. He had cracked it. "Still don't see the point of binary though," he mumbled. "Really," I said, with feigned surprise. "If you replace zero and one with pulse no pulse, have you not got the basic building block of a computer system?" He looked astounded, "Of course," he said. "So if you are so clever at mathematics, why do I have to program your phone for you?" He added. "Good question," I replied as I gathered my book and went back home.

RJR

Thank you for the compliment, very kind of you. There's an amusing postscript to my ignorance of technology. My neighbour knocked on my door one evening and asked if I knew how the binary system worked. "What a strange question," I said. It was her son's homework, apparently the young fellow was all but beating himself up over it. "Hold on a minute while I get my schoolbook." This blew her away. "You have your schoolbook?" I just smiled, no point telling her that I throw nothing away.

Her son looked a bit red rimmed around the eyes, so I got him to put his homework away. We talked about football, his team had lost. We talked about his girlfriend, she had finished with him last week. "You're having a tough time," I said. We talked further about TV shows, school and his progress. Once I thought his mind was cleared I simply said that the binary system can be confusing because we are so used to counting to ten. We learned counting to ten at the same time as we learned to read and write, that's why it's so ingrained in us. Showing him my book and some mathematical problems, I carefully explained how to work the binary system. I did a problem, solved it, explained how I had solved it. Then working out the answer in advance and writing it down, then placing it upside down in front of him. "Now you try," I encouraged, "Ask questions if you don't understand," I added. He came up with an answer, turned my piece of paper over. "They match," he exclaimed triumphantly. He had cracked it. "Still don't see the point of binary though," he mumbled. "Really," I said, with feigned surprise. "If you replace zero and one with pulse no pulse, have you not got the basic building block of a computer system?" He looked astounded, "Of course," he said. "So if you are so clever at mathematics, why do I have to program your phone for you?" He added. "Good question," I replied as I gathered my book and went back home.
:cool:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thank you.
That's very sweet of you to say but I can't seem to open the last picture you posted.

Sorry - not a fan of InstaGram. Just have trouble working with it. Rerouted the image through PhotoBucket, so it shares better.

It is you in your taupe beaver hat with the cream edge binding and wide ribbon.
13643094_1350826371675532_759644118_n_zpsq9irzaay.jpg

The combination is very good. It is pleasing in angles, proportions, lighting and colors. Very nicely done. Great hat. Y'all look great together.

I might need to look at one of these at some point. I would bet that you could do it with a medium ribbon. Wide just does not flatter my face.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks Andrew!
I bound the edge this week and it's off to its owner on friday.
c4d0b405656aa48d7e389efdbd3e77c3.jpg
Esther,

You should take a look at the http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/now-forming-the-campaign-hat-corps.16998/page-56#post-2154854 for a lot of information relating to a very similar particular hat style of historical significance in the USA.

It could represent an opportunity. Especially if you find a source for nutria hat bodies. There are people who are particularly interested in the earlier style of this hat and there are few quality sources. Even then, those are often not correct.

Another very nice hat. Well done.

Fed

EstherWeis

Vendor
Sorry - not a fan of InstaGram. Just have trouble working with it. Rerouted the image through PhotoBucket, so it shares better.

It is you in your taupe beaver hat with the cream edge binding and wide ribbon.
13643094_1350826371675532_759644118_n_zpsq9irzaay.jpg

The combination is very good. It is pleasing in angles, proportions, lighting and colors. Very nicely done. Great hat. Y'all look great together.

I might need to look at one of these at some point. I would bet that you could do it with a medium ribbon. Wide just does not flatter my face.

Fed

Thank you. It's one of my favorite hats.the beaver is outstanding.

I can make you one with a less wide ribbon if you would like.
I also can offer this color silk ribbon in a woven edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points