Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Bags

D

Deleted member 12480

thanks for the ideas!

I'm sure even wit my pitiful sewing skills I could create some little fabric bags to keep things a little more 'in order' :)
xxx

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
This is one of *many* everyday bags that I use:
P120710_18470001.jpg

I also use it for evening wear and just love love love the gold detailing on it :D Sorry the pic is a bit blurry!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Handbag

I'm looking for inspiration for a casual handbag that I could take shopping to wear with jeans and trousers- preferably cross-body so i can keep my hands-free- but something that is still sympathetic to a vintage style. (I considered a leather satchel- but it didn't feel quite right, now I'm stumped!)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

MissChloeCorville

Familiar Face
I just bought a lovely tote from Wal Mart! It's navy with a see thru anchor originally a beach bag but I find it perfect for everyday too! Sadly, no picture. :(

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the idea.

Thanks Mods for merging this thread- woudl'nt have thought to search this title. I'll have fun looking at the ideas now. :)

Louise Anne

Suspended
Vintage handbags used as your every day bag

I not sure if this has been realised or not , do any of you use vintage handbag (purses USA) as your every day bag?

Tatum

Practically Family
Not every day... But most of the time! :) Right now my everyday vintage handbag is a black straw bag.

If I'm working, I need something bigger and sacrifice-able. The purse I have for work can hold all the usual stuff plus my iPad, which I need for getting forms signed.

I'm actually desperately trying to figure out how to store/ display my handbag collection at the moment. I'm leaning towards a towel rack with "s" hooks and a few shelves (for clutches) in my soon to be revamped sewing room.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
All my vintage handbags are evening clutches. I have a black sparkly one that is shaped like a candy wrapper from the 1940's, a gorgeous peach satin one from the 1930's, and a plain wine coloured satin one from the 1950's (which I found a lipstick case in, so cool!). I definitely use them when the occasion warrants.

For everyday, I have two Betsey Johnson bags, a Juicy Couture bag, and a plain suede one from Fossil. I need room for all my lipsticks :D

Louise Anne

Suspended
Are vintage bags too small the today, thing like phones were not around and maybe other thing which are commonly carried and needed also, I do see a lot of larger bags today which are more like 60's and not that stylish either .
I know my 40 /50 are pretty small also.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Are vintage bags too small the today, thing like phones were not around and maybe other thing which are commonly carried and needed also, I do see a lot of larger bags today which are more like 60's and not that stylish either .
I know my 40 /50 are pretty small also.

Either than or we're carrying more stuff around with us. With a vintage clutch or repro bag, I can just about fit my phone, wallet, and keys in. No room for my colossal make-up bag, advil, breathmints etc...

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I can fit my wallet, several lipsticks, a compact, my keys and a phone into my vintage bags BUT...the styles of bag I favor tend not to have enough room to keep my phone alive. The phone always gets shut off or something keeps bumping against it and draining the battery, despite attempts to lock my phone, which gets frustrating. I tend not to carry a ton of stuff with me. I carry a vintage bag every day for a few weeks, throw a fit because it's killing my phone, then go back to a modern bag until I want to wear an outfit that a vintage purse complements perfectly, then the cycle begins again.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I use my 1950s and 1960s purses everyday with no problem! I've had lots of luck finding large ones, too; I have tooled leather and tapestry purses that are quite roomy. Look for easily cleaned materials (basket, woven, lucite, vinyl, etc.) and/or dark colors if you're planning to use your vintage purse for everyday use, though; maybe it's just me, but it's amazing how much dirt my silk evening clutches seem to pick up after a night out :(.

I do have several purses from the Victorian era through 1940s, but I keep them for special occasions only, really. I store the clutches on a shelf, and I have a few rows of pretty hooks to hang up the ones with straps.

Also, might as well add that my favorite bags to use for school (schlepping text books around!) are the cheap but beautiful Mexican oilcloth totes. They come in pretty patterns and remind me of '40s and '50s Mexican calendar girls! They're also usually quite inexpensive and tough as nails.

Example I found on Google Images:
smallshopperlarge.jpg

Jools

New in Town
Vintage bags too small? REeallY? I have a few bags of my mom's from the 1950s the general size and shape of the Titanic. Remember "Rear Window", and Grace Kelly unpacking a negligee AND slippers from a tiny Mark Cross case/valise?

Evening bags, that's another story. OTOH, most modern women carry around far too much stuff in diaper-bag sized purses, or HANDbags, if you prefer. If I have to carry a laptop, I carry it in an actual leather briefcase. (Does anyone remember the 1960s/1970s American TV Show, "Let's Make a Deal"? Bob Barker would ask audience members for random stuff from their purses..."who has a lemon? a cheese grater? A hard boiled egg? A clothespin?"ad infinitum. It was amazing what most women have in their purses.

I must have...200 purses if you include evening bags. Yes, storage is an issue. (New favorite: emerald green 1940s evening clutch with a bow.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21