Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We all know the highly-idealized images of Golden Era women -- movie stars, magazine models, pinups, etc. -- but for most of us, those looks are great to see but neither practical nor attainable for everyday life. So here's a thread where we can draw inspiration from images of ordinary gals of the Era -- the hair isn't always picture-perfect, the makeup isn't flawless, the clothes didn't just come off a designer's rack, but they're still attractive -- and that's the way most women have always looked.

Here's a few to start with, courtesy of the ever-valuable Life Magazine archives:

office.jpg

Office worker, 1940

sunglasses.jpg

Sunglass wearer, 1938

mom.jpg

Mother and kids, 1940

plane.jpg

Airplane mechanic, 1940

crowd.jpg

Lecture audience, 1940

Plenty more out there -- find them online or find them in your own family album, and post them here!

Mojito

One Too Many
Love this idea!

Here's my Nana - a very non-1930s ideal shape, with her husband Maurice and babies:

Sheehanfamily001.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
Thank you so much LizzieMaine for posting these photos. What a coincidence! Just last night I was looking for pictures on the web of ordinary women from back then to get some inspiration for my next sewing project. I didnt have much luck. I want to sew a dress that an ordinary women would have worn back then. This new thread is just what I need. Tanks again.
~JennyLou

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a few more, again courtesy of the Life Archives --

officegals.jpg

Office workers, 1947

teen.jpg

"Typical Teen-Ager," in after-school clothes, 1944

teen2.jpg

Another "typical Teen-Ager," in school clothes, 1944

college.jpg

College girl, 1940

college2.jpg

Another college girl, 1940

And from my own archives, my grandmother and mother, 1942:

nanpat42C.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Elizabeth.F said:
If anybody's interested, here's my great-grandparents in 1937:

3462929333_94a384e17b_o.jpg

I love these type of shots of people with vehicles. People were smaller and generally thinner so the machines looked massive. Look at that bike! Impressive. This was exaggerated in car advertisements where the people were made to look even smaller inside an enormous automobile.

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I have a bunch of old photos I've picked up at antique shops and such of everyday people from the 1930s and 40s. Here are a few that I found on my harddrive (I've got to scan all the others still... lol)

photo01.jpg

photo02.jpg

photo03.jpg

photo04.jpg

I always love seeing how normal people followed the styles of the day in their own fashion! :)

PS

A-List Customer
Call me crazy but these women look more tidy and smart which makes them glamorous to me, than the modern women i see everyday! Great thread!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I LOVE this thread! Real women are so much better than movie stars, in my opinion. I love film stars for glamour, but this is the type of beauty we could achieve realistically and still retain who we are. Love it. :eusa_clap

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Interesting...

...how not being obese and putting a little effort into dress and appearance makes these ladies compare favorably to their modern contemporaries -- without the benefit of braces, contract lenses, etc.

Fedora Lounge ladies excepted of course...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana